It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA Paid TSA Agent to Go Through People’s Luggage Looking for Cash to Confiscate

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Article dated January 21, 2016

"The DEA paid a TSA agent to go through people’s luggage looking for cash to confiscate"

The title pretty much says it all.. this topic has been coming up a lot lately - I actually stumbled upon this article after reading the thread titled "Gov't employee brags about stealing land" (another good one if you have time: here)

Money has got to be the most dangerous drug of all... either that or power. The DEA doesn't have a great track record... I did a thread back in September about DEA agents failing drug tests and even distributing narcotics without facing any repercussions thread

But we see the same thing with local police forces, ATF, the list goes on. Anyway, back to the story:

An “investigative summary” posted this month by the Justice Department’s inspector general criticizes the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) for hiring a federal airport security screener to help find seizable cash in passengers’ luggage. Under the arrangement, the DEA designated the screener a “confidential source” and promised him a cut of any money he found while rummaging through people’s bags.

So not only did the TSA agent get paid for facilitating what basically amounts to federal theft, but he was incentivized to find “suspicious” money because the more he found, the more he’d earn. The DEA could not have come up with a more unethical situation if they’d tried. The good news is that the DOJ investigators agree, noting that TSA agents are already supposed to report anything illegal they see in the course of their duties, so there was no justification for this arrangement in the first place. Furthermore, the set-up violated the DEA’s own department rules—not to mention “individuals’ protection against unreasonable searches and seizures.”

And we’re talking big money. “Between 2004 and 2009, Philadelphia collected some $36 million via civil forfeiture,”mainly from young, black men. Long Island police took in $31 million in a single year. The State of Virginia seized assets and cash worth more than $18 million in 2013 alone. In the same year, Michigan’s civil asset forfeiture profits topped $16 million, and the State of Texas took a whopping $106 million from its citizens. In fact, in 2014 federal agents used civil asset forfeiture to confiscate more money and property from Americans than burglars took

Link: rare.us...

TSA ALSO already has a pretty crappy reputation. I'm sure this will help

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The abolition of Money and the application of global human rights would be the single greatest achievement in modern history.

Money almost exclusively is used for self gain, regardless of the effects the actions taken to gain that money have on anyone else.

This article's topic is not even remotely shocking at all. These events are so prevalent in society it's sickening, and unfortunately, I cannot conceive a way for it ever to end.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

A cash free society could be possible in a resource-based economy, like that proposed by "The Venus Project", if you've heard of that.

But implementing it.. that reveals all sorts of issues by itself as well. I really don't know what to do about it sadly I'm afraid you might be right - it certainly doesn't seem to be getting better, just worse if anything.
edit on 21-1-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I saw this earlier today and it made me so angry I wouldn't post because I didn't want to be reminded by replying...protecting my stress level here.

Wondering how they would get your money if we were cashless? They already have the bank reporting excess money withdrawn. Maybe tighten it up?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

DISGUSTING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! FIrst off, dont get me started with the TSA, because they are the w o r s t saykuridee that money can buy for starters; they have wayyyyyyy to much authority (for their training, or lack thereof) and (as a frequent flier) they habitually make up their own rules as the days go by. I have seen horrifying practices... (sorry fellow ATS'ers if you are a TSA agent)

The Feds picking on these little guys to carry out acts of "federal seizing"? Really? wow, ok, rant over, good find Fam

A Department of Justice watchdog officially condemned the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration this month, following a report that the agency had recruited a Transportation Security Administration security screener to search bags for cash that the DEA could confiscate.

The very existence of such a partnership highlights much broader concerns about the controversial legal practice known as civil asset forfeiture, which critics say contorts law enforcement priorities and props up a system of policing for profit.

In a summary of its investigation, the DOJ's Office of the Inspector General concluded that the agreement "violated DEA policy" on a number of levels. While the OIG determined that the TSA informant never provided any actionable information to the DEA, it concluded that the plans to pay the agent out of the cash he or she helped seize "could have violated individuals’ protection against unreasonable searches and seizures if it led to a subsequent DEA enforcement action."

L I N K

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

I saw this earlier today and it made me so angry I wouldn't post because I didn't want to be reminded by replying...protecting my stress level here.

Wondering how they would get your money if we were cashless? They already have the bank reporting excess money withdrawn. Maybe tighten it up?

They already are taking our money. British banks used to pay interest on *ALL* your money you had in credit. Back in the 1980's you could get as a much as 10% on a savings account. Now, you are lucky to get 3% on the first £2000 of savings, and you only get that provided you deposit in £1000 each month.

Private pensions schemes have been raided several times. First was to "skim off" the pension fund surpluses (which didn't actually exist because the money was simply recycled into the stock market, keeping the share price up, which returned as dividends or surpluses. Second time was in the interest of "wealth redistribution".

There was a European plan to seize 10% of everyone's bank accounts on a country by country basis:

"IMF head Christine Lagarde has been suggesting a wholesale seizure of 10% of all accounts throughout the Eurozone because there may be riots and discord if there are bail-ins on a case by case basis. The idea is that a wholesale seizure will prevent a bank-run for if bail-ins take place on a case-by-case basis then this might start a contagion. Consequently, the latest reports from the IMF discuss this super-seizure of 10% on all savings in the Eurozone they are calling a tax."

osnetdaily.com...
edit on 21-1-2016 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I just had to, look at his ugly thieving face

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have to seriously wonder about the selection criteria for, it seems,the majority of American LEO's TSA and the rest of the agencies. Doesn't seem to strict or intense to me. Maybe its about time the entry to these occupations was made a tad stricter and more selective?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

So not only did the TSA agent get paid for facilitating what basically amounts to federal theft, but he was incentivized to find “suspicious” money because the more he found, the more he’d earn. The DEA could not have come up with a more unethical situation if they’d tried. The good news is that the DOJ investigators agree, noting that TSA agents are already supposed to report anything illegal they see in the course of their duties, so there was no justification for this arrangement in the first place. Furthermore, the set-up violated the DEA’s own department rules—not to mention “individuals’ protection against unreasonable searches and seizures.”

It's ok for the government to steal. This is no different when Germany did this during WWII.

Ransacking, cutting luggage open. How much money do you all think is not reported from the TSA little guys working at all the airports.

Unreasonable searches and seizures laws do not apply to the American people any longer.

Our government has become a big fat criminal organization that have legalized extortion, theft, kickbacks, and no accountability.

If you think this is bad, wait a few more years. As long as We The People do nothing it will get worst.

People just don't realize, We The People have the power to stop all this madness.

First step is to boycott all the airlines, stop flying.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Boycotting is a great idea, especially with the current low gas prices. And now that the effects of the RealID are going into effect, several state's citizens won't be allowed to fly without a passport. I hope it has a serious effect on the airlines finances.

This is nothing more than piracy....modern day piracy. You can put lipstick on a pig.......

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

If it were possible to go back in time...

I'd either refuse the contracts I took or give the money back that I earned in doing work for the TSA, and the NSA.

I regret having done that.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Even in the old days Brigands took money off of people at borders, its just been modernised, into a legal screw. The joke is the real contraband doesn't come through controlled borders anyway. So its joe public just getting screwed again. They go through your luggage looking for foodstuffs, when the fruit flies come in on a storm. Its just control, and revenue.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I saw this yesterday on the Huffington Post. I'm glad you made a thread about it. I find it curious that this isn't getting more traction here on ATS.

Here's some more information about the DEA's activities with respect to asset forfeiture:

Transportation hubs are a particular point of focus for the DEA. A 2015 OIG report found that from 2009 to 2013, the DEA seized $163 million in 4,138 individual cash seizures, many of which were contested and later overturned. The agency has also come under fire in recent cases that involved agents seizing cash from airline and train passengers, and in some cases, allegedly shaking them down.

The US government bureaucracy has run amok. These agencies are out of control. They have no accountability. And it appears to be nearly impossible to fire these government employees even when they have committed crimes!

-dex

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I feel like these conversations are a dime a dozen now, it's like pounding sand I DO think boycott could actually help make a difference though.. actions speak louder than words. I'm willing to boycott and try to start a movement anyway

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

"No accountability" and "out of control" pretty much sums it up

Continued militarization and weaponization in our streets and zero repercussions when innocent people are murdered or robbed of their life's savings

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

DEA Paid TSA Agent to Go Through People’s Luggage Looking for Cash to Confiscate. This raises a question.

Is this just simple lawlessness and sliding into the black hole of tyranny or, is it that the state is so short of money its resorting to looting the population under the guise of anti crime laws and any thing else the public does not openly suspect.

Which view would you prefer to be the case?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Not to derail, but a thread started by you about your experiences with both, or one of the agencies would be fascinating Null !!

Both mentioned are despicable

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Any wonder the war on drugs will be held on to by the government like a downing man's hand on a life ring. Nearly unaccounted for profits for the players on the enforcement team.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

I honestly don't think it's a matter of the State being short on money. Both the DEA and TSA receive plenty of funding - not to mention the money they are confiscating is most certainly not going to be reported if they are acquiring it through nefarious means such as this.

It definitely seems like this is lawlessness and abuse of power. It's quite sad.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: nullafides

Not to derail, but a thread started by you about your experiences with both, or one of the agencies would be fascinating Null !!

Both mentioned are despicable

It's not sexy as one might think.

I am a software/database engineer. I've specialized in a relatively narrow subset of the field, and I've been focused on that for 21 years.

If you apply online for a job with the NSA, that's my baby.

If you wonder how the TSA pays it's staff....same thing.

top topics

join