It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California replacing gas tax with mileage fees

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: yesyesyes

How can that be explained?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

The money for roads existed before the current cash cow became what it is. People who drive electric cars still have tons of other things they pay up the ass for besides at the pump. I think the US's highways and current infrastructure were built before the oil boom. So the proportions of tax revenue we get taxed now compared to then didnt do that. All this was built with MUCH LESS tax revenue.

So if we ever get free energy we will all just get a bill....just because. Great lets invent it so we can pay for it like when it wasnt invented. It wont solve the economic disparity it was created to fix but its fair as hell!

We could then cure all disease and just charge parents at birth for all the future donations to the state that they will be skipping out on. You would still need to pay for healthcare when everyone is immortal. Who is going to pay for it if no one is sick?

The list goes on. There are plenty of other cash cows paying for roads that are employed.

edit on 1 22 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I'm not a legislator and I don't think any California legislator's read this but I'm going to share this idea anyway. Electric cars pay the mileage tax, gas cars and hybrids pay the gas tax.

That seems to be the most reasonable idea.

Actually, I just re-read the OP. This is an exploratory program. If it were to go into effect it would do away with the gas tax in favor of the mileage tax. No double taxation, I don't understand why anyone would be opposed to this.

When has California ever done away with an existing tax?If you believe that they will do away with the gas tax,I have a suspension bridge I will sell you located in the Mojave.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

I mean...the source article specifically says it:

...replacing the state gas tax with mileage fees.

If they model it after the Oregon proposal, also mentioned in the source;

On July 1, Oregon launched its third pilot program, asking 5,000 volunteers to pay 1.5 cents per mile they drive. Vehicle mileage is tracked by a device plugged into each car, and gas taxes are refunded.

Please though, keep telling us all how everyone in California is poor, homeless and starving because of taxes.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join