It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking Warns Humanity Leave Earth Before the Ruling Class Destroys It

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
SOURCE: AntiMedia

(ANTIMEDIA) United Kingdom — Humanity’s future is in peril thanks to so-called advancements in science and technology, claims Professor Stephen Hawking, who cited “nuclear war, global warming, and genetically-modified viruses” as deadly threats to our existence. Hawking described various “things that could go wrong” to an audience of hundreds attending the first in a series of BBC Reith Lectures, which pertain to research about black holes. He asserted the necessity for colonization of other planets to ensure survival of the human species. According to the BBC, Hawking cautioned: “Although the chance of a disaster to planet Earth in a given year might be quite low, it adds up over time, and becomes a near certainty in the next thousand or ten thousand years. “By that time, we should have spread out into space, and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race. “However, we will not establish self-sustaining colonies in space for at least the next hundred years, so we have to be very careful in this period.”

I have to agree with Hawking here. The next hundred years to so will either be punctuated with humankind spreading out over the solar system like in the SyFy series The Expanse, or we go out with a bang like in The Terminator series. As dark as it is now perhaps there is light coming.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hey, it's the ruling class that has all the money, they should be the ones investing in the space travel, packing their crap into the spaceships and heading out into the great beyond. maybe with them gone, we could do something about the problems here.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Maybe we should stop being such pansies and overthrow these idiots and Get something good going.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Hey there...you have 27 gozillion stars.....here's another......

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
They are investing in space. To mine it for precious metal.

The first rich guy on Wall Street to have a gold bar from Mars gets bragging rights.

As far as moving people off world, they'll never go for that, its harder to fleece them that far away.

Like the early American Colonies, the King kept trying to take their stuff.

edit on 21-1-2016 by intrptr because: clarity

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
That's foolish advice, because the ones with money and power will be the ones with the ability to leave and then they really wouldn't care what burdens they place on the little ants down there, being in the ultimate untouchable position.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

So you are thinking we will have a future more like Elysium then?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Funny... I don't see Hawking using the phrase "ruling class" anywhere. Another example of propagandists twisting words to fit their agenda.
edit on 21-1-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

link   
Glad I've been building my spaceship slowly in my shed another few months and she'll be ready

Come on Steven what a silly thing to say, if I could leave this planet I would of gone a long time ago and if anything it's probably the ruling class who will leave the planet and leave us chumps here

link   

I think Hawking has lost his marbles over the last decade or so of his life. We are all going to 'leave Earth' soon enough and we may as well try to enjoy it while we are here.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

He asserted the necessity for colonization of other planets to ensure survival of the human species.

Absolutely right.
If we are to survive we need a plan B , aside from the problems we may cause ourselves something big and bad may be heading our way , we need a presence on Mars , a seed bank if you will.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Mr, Stephen Hawking is one of the greatest minds of our time, they do not come often but when they talk we should listen, I have the same type of believes as him when it comes to preservation of our species and those that are using technology no to preserved but to end by mistake ,it in the believe that what they are doing is good for everybody.

Sometimes in human history is been some episodes that had caused big shifts in human awareness and things get better for a while.

I think we are heading to one major one very soon, I hope I am still alive to see it, humanity will advance as every time this episodes happen we advance in our development, but sometimes at the cost of many lives.

I am in the believe that we will be discovering new planets that will be able to sustain our form of life within the next 50 years, who knows we may be travelling to colonize them in an attempt to preserve humanity.

Earth is not dying by any means, the planet will be here sustaining life for millennia but we humans may made human life here in earth more difficult.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thanks Stephen.

Now let's see...Mercury, the Sun, the Moon, Venus, Mars...

Ooh, the agony of choice.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Maybe we should stop being such pansies and overthrow these idiots and Get something good going.

Agreed, but weren't you supporting tRump the other day? Or was that sarcastic?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

I know you been sarcastic, but I am on the believe that we may be finding new worlds very soon with the ability to sustain human life, look at us right now, I can only imagine that when the cavemen were looking at the night sky they would never imagine what humanity advancement would be thousand of years later.

Everything is possible, is soo much we don't know yet, but we will be learning soon enough, once in while a great mind comes to develop what before was unthinkable.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Glad I've been building my spaceship slowly in my shed another few months and she'll be ready

Would that be the scifi version of Johnny Cash's A Piece at a Time?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

So you are thinking we will have a future more like Elysium then?

No, the future will be like the past as history repeats itself.

One war which escalates to space, in the form of satellite destructions, would leave the Earth littered with so much debris that space will become unusable and unpassable. The single China test which shot at a satellite in orbit with a missile, increased the current space debris by 30%. Magnify that a thousand fold.

No more space pretty soon for anyone.

There is a famous equation that shows how easy space debris can become unmanageable as it collides with itself and an unending exponential rise in debris packing the penetrating punch of 50 caliber bullets, encases the earth for longer than humanity can recover as we lose the advantages of the "Space Age". No satellites for anything. Further wars and welcome back to the Iron Age with no way back to the Space Age.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

That happens within the solar system pull, but other solar systems could be pristine, still, who knows how many other planets has gone also soo technological advance to the point of causing their own extinction.

Galaxies are born and galaxies die, is soo much we don't know due to our limited technology right now.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Hawking has become an alarmist of late but who can blame him?

Colonization of Mars has to be a priority; We need to know if we can establish inhabitable biodomes before we can migrate because if we can't then mankind should write it's last will and testament. If we destroy this planet before we can colonize space or mars then it's gave over-4 million years of evolution down the drain.

We can't rely of The Elon Musks of the world to save us-It will have to be a consolidated global effort. As for the rest of us well then we have to reforest the planet, reduce emissions, or suffer the consequences.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Sounds like a message to inspire fear. What is it that all of humanity should logically agree on? That once born we will die. What would be the difference if we all died at once? Who would know? Science- the alchemist's distillation of what should be most obvious, You are Alife.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join