It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You or Your Child Play Soccer/Football on Crumb Rubber Turf? Be Informed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
a reply to: VoidHawk

They are working with new tires, not tires with thousands of miles of road grime, chemicals etc. built up on them. Not to mention they are dealing with whole tires, not ground up bits of them that end up in wounds, mouth, lungs etc.

So who removes the old tyres?

Everything is the cause of cancer evening being alive.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Atsbhct

Thank you for this. I'd have never imagined there was a health risk associated with these types of field surfaces. Wow, is there anything in this modern world that isn't going to ultimately kill us?

Well, technically no. Even kittens could kill us, given the chance. But I'm all for knowing the could be consequences.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It seems plausible to me that getting this foreign matter in your body, particularly in open wounds and cuts, could eventually lead to various health problems.

It's not the first time that environmentalist tried to reuse old tires, unsuccessfully:

In the 1970s, the reef was the subject of an ambitious expansion project utilizing old and discarded tires. The project ultimately failed, and the "reef" has come to be considered an environmental disaster—ultimately doing more harm than good in the coastal Florida waters.
Osborne Reef

However, some good work is being done using tires in rammed-earth building construction. I believe the presumed carcinogenic risk is minimized in this case because the tires are used intact.

-dex

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: VoidHawk
a reply to: Atsbhct

If they think tire rubber is the cause then they should see whether tire fitters have a high rate of cancer.

Tire fitters don't inhale ground up old rubber crumbs when they fit tires. The beads are wet with lubricant as the machine fits the tire on the rim.

They do inhale tire dust. Old tires that are being taken of produce quite a lot of dust. Have you ever changed a tire? I basically grew up in an automotive repair shop, so I've had first hand experience of this. Take of an old tire and run your hand around the inside of the tire (beware of protruding wire) and your hand will be black with dust! There's two reasons for the dust.
1. The outer skin of the rubber powders with age.
2. Friction caused by the continuous flexing of the tire when its being used.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

They do inhale tire dust. Old tires that are being taken of produce quite a lot of dust. Have you ever changed a tire?

I worked at a gas station as a kid, I know what you are talking about. Changing tires and playing ball on the stuff is two different things. I didn't face plant into it or rub it in cuts, just saying. I also got soaked in motor oil and gasoline sometimes being a grunt there. I used to work in electronics industry, breathing in solder smoke all day, bathing in trichlorofluro-degreaser and smoked cigarettes for thirty five years…. I don't have cancer yet… thats not the issue.

The issue is maybe this rubber product on these playing fields are adversely affecting peoples health.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I've seen some of that. Rammed earth and tire walls, the internal wall structure is plastered to minimize exposure.

Can't beat the cost of free building materials.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join