It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon's Portland Community College to Mark 'Whiteness History Month'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Study the history of white privilege in America and other western countries. And there certainly were signs saying blacks not allowed, until we passed laws forbidding it. And these signs were excluding blacks who were born here, along with their parents and grandparents. They were multi-generational citizens and yet they had no right to vote, get a higher education, or go into whites only establishments. It happened, and it was a huge fight to stop it, and many were dragged kicking and screaming (and some still to this day).

Check out the history of South Africa, or India, and tell me that white privilege didn't exist (and doesn't still exist in some form).

Yes, racism occurs everywhere. And it isn't always white people being racists, and it isn't always black people being the victims. But in America, and most of the western world, white privilege existed and remnants of it still exist today. It is certainly much better than it was a hundred years ago (mostly due to legislation and social engineering), but that doesn't mean it is non-existent today.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I kind of agree about the safe space idea. It would be much more productive for black and white students to be forced into a lock-in together, with staff supervision and guidance, to discuss issues that both have with each other. Hash it out and no one gets to leave until there is some agreement on both sides about what the issues are and how to best deal with them.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yes, but those laws were enacted to protect people AGAINST that discrimination. You won't find those signs in America because America is maturing and becoming a more accepting society. In all of my travels, America has consistently been among the most progressive nations when it comes to race relations. Yes, you still have a way to go. So does everyone, but lately I've seen America going a bit backward regarding race-relations and for the first time, it's not white people who are responsible for it. Everyone seems to have jumped on the "Blame the white devil" train for all of their problems. And the overly liberal left has some fault in it as well. There is such a thing as "Racism by compassion". The prevailing thought that black people (and people of other races) need multitudes of social programs, scholarships, etc implies that we think they can't do it WITHOUT help. What they need is a hand up, not out.

I'm not denying that the vestigal remains of racism are still visible in American society.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The white privilege being discussed in the OP is specific to the US, where the dominant race has historically been white. In your case, it would be called "Asian privilege" (or some such), because that is the dominant race, and they receive "privileges" based on their appearance. Privileges like - feeling free to walk in any business establishment, knowing that they will be treated with respect and not denied service... Like walking into a job interview knowing that they will be judged against the other Asian people based on their merits and not their appearance. You, walking into the same interview, would not have that privilege, would you? You would know that your appearance would likely influence the interviewer (on some level) in a negative way. Two Asian people going into the same interview would never even consider that their heritage might be a factor. They experience "Asian privilege". And you are experiencing racism.

You are being discriminated against, because of your race, that's for sure. And it sucks. I'm really sorry.

Saying I'm sorry doesn't mean I'm guilty or that I'm responsible, in any way, or that I hate myself. It means I'm compassionate and can see that it hurts you. That's the same thing I feel for so many in the US who don't enjoy the same privileges that I do, simply because I was born white. It sucks and I'm sorry they are experiencing it. I'm not guilty or responsible and I don't hate myself or my whiteness.

And I do believe it's getting better. I have hope that we'll continue to progress. It's a rocky road, though.
edit on 1/21/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

What they need is a hand up, not out.

And how do we give them a hand up?

I'm not denying that the vestigal remains of racism are still visible in American society.

And that is what this college program deals with.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Dumb courses are dumb.
There is only one privilege. if you were born in north america, western Europe, japan, or Australia, you got the privilege of being born (or becoming a citizen of) a nation that does not discriminate in any legal way. thats it.

The rest is on you. Gone are the days where you could legally hold someone down based on color of skin, or bring someone up.
Well, unless it is now against white people (diversity its called)...so what privilege is it being white? hmm...maybe discriminated against by skintone for employment, scholarship, and other type functions given we are now resurrecting this mindset.

Whiteness month indeed. Which specific swatch color of white are they discussing anyhow.
Racism is damn racism regardless of intent, and the intent here is to bitch about whitey sitting at the front of the bus...60 years too late

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
And that is what this college program deals with.

Absolutely disagree
This is how you deal with racism:

Thats it. move past it, drop it. any glaring issues you tackle with court, otherwise no..no courses in history class about how being white makes you super awesome (even when its done in sarcasm as this is done here), that causes division and anger that civil rights marches in the 60s were marching -against

You stop becoming a victim once you stop believing you are a victim. these racist classes are there specifically to forever tell black people they were once a victim and still are...even if they aren't aware of it...and thats bullsnip.

Lets keep in mind, people spent a lot of money getting degrees and related skillsets in racial tensions..a entire business of misery depending on racism to remain in the minds of everyone..thats what is going on here.

We need more integration, sure...but not by exaggerating the divide

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What month does this group have set aside for "Blackness History Month" to shame blacks for something they have no control over?

You know for equality and all.

edit on 21-1-2016 by PresidentCamacho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

It's harder and harder to get into good universities these days, unless you really excel in high school. That means taking AP courses and passing AP tests. Unfortunately, AP classes are not as accessible to minority students in poorer neighborhoods, which puts them at a great disadvantage.

The new findings come a day after a Department of Education panel released its own report on educational opportunities in the USA. The Equity and Excellence Commission said, "While some young Americans — most of them white and affluent — are getting a truly world-class education, those who attend schools in high poverty neighborhoods are getting an education that more closely approximates schools in developing nations."

The College Board found that, among African-American and Hispanic students whose PSAT scores suggest they'd succeed in AP classes, about one in three end up taking an AP math course. Nationwide, about 300,000 members of the high school class of 2012 showed the potential to do well in AP but didn't take a course.

Christina Theokas, research director for the Education Trust, an advocacy group for low-income and minority students, said the findings show access is a big problem for minority students, particularly African Americans and American Indians. "We're expanding the program, but within schools, we're not opening up access and more participation for those kids," she said.

www.usatoday.com...

But who cares, right, as whites are getting treated so badly these days.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

What is yours? More institutional racism?

What is the solution to any action that harms others? You make laws to protect victims and assign punishment for breaking those laws.

A race of victims! and another race needs to rescue them. I don't understand how this is not considered racism.

It's definitely considered racism. Some people overlook for their own self felt guilt. Everybody else can see it for what it is.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

You're gonna have to get up out of your feelings. I didn't imply anything other than equality. Affirmative Action is not equality. What happened to minorities before I was even born has nothing to do with me. If you want to give things to minorities for things you did in the 40's and 50's, be my guest. I was born well after the Civil Rights Movement and that bull# doesn't concern my current events, nor do the actions have anything to do with me.

As I said, I believe in real equality.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

It's harder and harder to get into good universities these days, unless you really excel in high school. That means taking AP courses and passing AP tests. Unfortunately, AP classes are not as accessible to minority students in poorer neighborhoods, which puts them at a great disadvantage.

Is it more accessable to poor white kids somehow? there are actually a lot more poor white than poor minorities (just statistically speaking).
Note the article you posted specifically omitted non-minority (the majority), which no doubt would show similar statistics.
Its division that is unnecessary
If the discussion is how to better lift up societys poor, I am all about that discussion, sure. but this is suggesting that black people are either 1) legally discriminated against or 2) inferior as people and need extra help
it has to be one or the other. I reject the premise, and see their omissions to be disgusting in its implications for their narrative.

Black people are not legally oppressed
Black people are not inferior
We dont need institutions teaching them either of that..especially with data skewed.

Another conversation I would gladly welcome would be why are black people disproportionately still poor. A different topic, but my money is on culture that started in the late 70s/80s.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: TheTory

and basically have no issues in life

Not one person who talks about white privilege has ever said that except the conservatively correct masses.
Let me tell you something about Racism. I experience it on the DAILY here in JP. I'm a white girl living in Japan, you know what that means? That means I get told when I walk into some restaurants that they "Don't serve Gaijin". I see signs outside of stores that say "No Gaijin". If I'm out with one of my friends, Japanese people will straight up ignore me and insist on speaking "through" my friend DESPITE that I demonstrate fluent Japanese speaking. You wanna talk about White Privilege? Show me a store in America where it says "No Foreigners allowed", or "No Blacks Allowed" on a sign out front. Show me a restaurant that won't serve Foreigners.

I'm white, and my "privilege" is being essentially un-date-able beyond an "exotic" one-night stand.
My "privilege" is being made to feel like I'm not welcome in my own Country, of which I am now a citizen.

Racism exists everywhere, shift your perspective and you'll see that it's entirely possible to be racist against white people. Most people will exclaim that rasicm is prejudice + power. I can agree with that, and in the United States, white people are EQUAL with other races. In fact, white people get LESS social safety nets, and ZERO race-based opportunities in universities to help cover education costs.

I'll quote this for reiterating the full blown, unbiased experience in real racism.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That's all well and good, and we certainly want to get to the point when no one looks at any one other than their character, but when people with black sounding names send their resume in and don't get contacted, but people with the exact same resume and a white sounding name DO get contacted, what are we supposed to do - just ignore that issue? You think it will just "go away" if ignored? Really?

We have made great strides against racism, not because we ignored it, but because we brought it out into the open - we discussed it, we debated it, we protested against it - we made lots of noise. And THAT'S how things started improving.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

What is yours? More institutional racism?

What is the solution to any action that harms others? You make laws to protect victims and assign punishment for breaking those laws.

A race of victims! and another race needs to rescue them. I don't understand how this is not considered racism.

It's definitely considered racism. Some people overlook for their own self felt guilt. Everybody else can see it for what it is.

I think the new way of explaining it is that black people are a race, but white people arent
for it to be racism, you require privilege of power or some such tripe.

My view...I will accept that only when they either show me a law on the books currently that favors white skintone over black, or, they can make a convincing argument to me on why black people are inherently inferior to white people and will therefore naturally be powerless.

I would say that shuts them up..but lets be honest..nothing shuts them up.

I really dislike racism, in all its forms. its anti-liberal and anyone demanding some forms of racism is super cool is insulting me and humanity with their nonsense. sometimes a correction needs to be made (like AA in the 80s) for a temporary integration after a remarkable event that absolutely was wrong, but thats it..now its time to re-establish merit over skintone

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: TheBulk

Well, you cannot blame all Christians for the actions of the perverted few either, and yet WBC gives all of us a bad name, as does every nutbar who shoots a room full of people and tells the world that Jesus told him to do it.

The only rational response, is to only blame individuals, and not demographics, for the actions of those individuals. That would be a more sensible and forward thinking approach, would it not?

And I would be completely fine with barring people that might have been recruited by WBC and keeping them in their own town.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I kind of agree about the safe space idea. It would be much more productive for black and white students to be forced into a lock-in together, with staff supervision and guidance, to discuss issues that both have with each other. Hash it out and no one gets to leave until there is some agreement on both sides about what the issues are and how to best deal with them.

Forced? Ok, I believe I see your problem.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
not hired because of black sounding names? wut?

I missed something. you got a source for that? I mean, if thats all that a person was denied on, thats a shame and I believe also illegal if proven that was the only factor involved.

As far as ignoring, no..you cant ignore segregation, you dont ignore overt racism, you protest against the rules until the law is changed and you challenge overt racism with knowledge and if need be, humiliation of the racist so others see the racist as the example on how not to act.

But that is not the same as telling people who are otherwise feeling that they can take on the world that oh..society probably wont let you because you are flawed in their eyes..let me explain to you privliege of skintone that will make it near impossible for you to achieve your goal and why trying is gonna be really hard and expensive for you.
( the line omitted that plays in anyones mind when told its gonna be far harder for you specifically: "or you could of course just go back to the hood and do as you normally do")

No, you dont force people to see themselves as a victim, you never do that. that causes harm only for the sake of causing harm. You tell everyone that today they have equal opportunity to do whatever you want with hard work, lots of luck, maybe some connections, and preferably with a good credit history.

Challenge racism by challenging the racist, challenge the laws that give any push down or lift up based on skintone, but most importantly, whenever someone says you got things easier or harder in life based on skintone..shut those conversations down..thats only true if you believe it.
Obama said he rejected that line of thinking after college...I think he is a good role model regardless of political agreements or disagreements

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Well that as well, of course.

Frankly, I think that is a fantastic idea. Locking them away from the rest of society would be the best for society, and preventing them from ruining more lives would be the best for their souls. It might give them a chance to reflect on their lives, and repent of their hatred.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I keep on hearing all this online chatter about "white privileges" and I am
wondering when will I ever get these privileges for myself?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join