It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon's Portland Community College to Mark 'Whiteness History Month'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: TheTory
a reply to: kaylaluv

stopping institutional racism with more institutional racism... Sounds like a genius plan.

What is your solution to stopping institutional racism? Doing nothing?

How do you even know such a thing exists without assigning beliefs and thoughts to people that they might not even have? Ironically, you assign these thought base don SKIN COLOR.

I'm beginning to think the "white privelage" team is more racist than they let on to be. They obviously feel their skin color grants them certain privileges others cannot attain.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

stopping institutional racism with more institutional racism... Sounds like a genius plan.

Treating everyone equal. Can't do that as long as we keep coddling minorities and treating them like babies and acting like they're always the victim.

If you break the law, you accept the discipline.
If you are less qualified for a position, you don't get hired.
If you don't meet the criteria to get into a University because the other person has the better grades, you go somewhere else or wait.

The list goes on.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

What is yours? More institutional racism?

It's pretty clear that IS in fact the strategy being implemented.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

What is the solution to any action that harms others? You make laws to protect victims and assign punishment for breaking those laws.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

How do you even know such a thing exists without assigning beliefs and thoughts to people that they might not even have? Ironically, you assign these thought base don SKIN COLOR.

I'm beginning to think the "white privelage" team is more racist than they let on to be. They obviously feel their skin color grants them certain privileges others cannot attain.

The whole "white privilege" narrative is incredibly racist.

-It's a broad generalization, based on skin color.
-It's meant to demonize all white people and give non-whites a justification for hate.
-It's meant to create distrust and paranoia towards whites.
-It's meant to separate white people from all other humans as somehow defective.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

What is the solution to any action that harms others? You make laws to protect victims and assign punishment for breaking those laws.

A race of victims! and another race needs to rescue them. I don't understand how this is not considered racism.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

And you are implying that blacks have NEVER been discriminated against. You are implying that blacks have ALWAYS been free, and they have ALWAYS been able to be hired for any job they were perfectly qualified for, and they have ALWAYS been promoted to higher positions that were qualified to handle. And that they have ALWAYS been able to attend any college that they have been qualified for. Since the beginning of America. You are implying that any discussion to the contrary is made up nonsense.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

A race of victims! and another race needs to rescue them. I don't understand how this is not considered racism.

Victims of a different race, not a race full of victims.

This conservatively correct double speak is all too popular in these discussions and it leads to childish discourse such as "have you left your locality for an extended period".

Meh.

link   
a reply to: TheBulk

It is also racist against folks with darker skin, who are left to find their success only when whites allows them. Whites are so far up the social stratosphere because their skin is white, while everyone else left in their wake because their skin is a different color.

link   

And you are implying that blacks have NEVER been discriminated against.

People of all colors have been discriminated against at one time or another.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Since you don't seem to understand the history of white privilege, it doesn't surprise me. Maybe you need to attend the college in the OP.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Victims of a different race, not a race full of victims.

This conservatively correct double speak is all too popular in these discussions and it leads to childish discourse such as "have you left your locality for an extended period".

Meh.

That's ironic, given your invention of terms.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Have you read the paper where the idea comes from? I have.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

America has a history, as you well know.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Seems like white people, for the most part, have been pushed to feel ashamed for being white.

Let them have their white history month. Lately it seems like it's black history 24/7 - it's gotten quite boring.

ps, I'm not white.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Every country does. What's your point anyway? Why do white people today have to pay or feel ashamed for things that happened in the past? Most left wingers who push this crap will turn around and say you cant blame Muslims today for Islamic terrorism today, so there seems to be a serious contradiction in your standards.
edit on 21-1-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Every country does. What's your point anyway? Why do white people today have to pay or feel ashamed for things that happened in the past? Most left wingers who push this crap will turn around and say you cant blame Muslims today for Islamic terrorism today, so there seems to be a serious contradiction in your standards.

White people do not have to feel ashamed for things that happened in the past. But they should acknowledge that these things happened. And they should acknowledge that it still happens today, in various ways.

It is the denial that any discrimination happens today towards non-whites that is dangerous. This college programs tries to deal with that.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: TheTory

and basically have no issues in life

Not one person who talks about white privilege has ever said that except the conservatively correct masses.
Let me tell you something about Racism. I experience it on the DAILY here in JP. I'm a white girl living in Japan, you know what that means? That means I get told when I walk into some restaurants that they "Don't serve Gaijin". I see signs outside of stores that say "No Gaijin". If I'm out with one of my friends, Japanese people will straight up ignore me and insist on speaking "through" my friend DESPITE that I demonstrate fluent Japanese speaking. You wanna talk about White Privilege? Show me a store in America where it says "No Foreigners allowed", or "No Blacks Allowed" on a sign out front. Show me a restaurant that won't serve Foreigners.

I'm white, and my "privilege" is being essentially un-date-able beyond an "exotic" one-night stand.
My "privilege" is being made to feel like I'm not welcome in my own Country, of which I am now a citizen.

Racism exists everywhere, shift your perspective and you'll see that it's entirely possible to be racist against white people. Most people will exclaim that rasicm is prejudice + power. I can agree with that, and in the United States, white people are EQUAL with other races. In fact, white people get LESS social safety nets, and ZERO race-based opportunities in universities to help cover education costs.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Well, you cannot blame all Christians for the actions of the perverted few either, and yet WBC gives all of us a bad name, as does every nutbar who shoots a room full of people and tells the world that Jesus told him to do it.

The only rational response, is to only blame individuals, and not demographics, for the actions of those individuals. That would be a more sensible and forward thinking approach, would it not?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

White people do not have to feel ashamed for things that happened in the past. But they should acknowledge that these things happened. And they should acknowledge that it still happens today, in various ways.

It is the denial that any discrimination happens today towards non-whites that is dangerous. This college programs tries to deal with that.
The thing that infuriates me about American colleges today is this whole self-segregation thing that masquerades as a "safe space". Safe spaces in Colleges are an awful idea. It encourages hugbox mentality where no one's ideas are challenged and they become mired in cliquish behaviour that is often outright hostile to outsiders of the group. In the real world there are no Safe Spaces. College is meant to prepare you for a career, and I'm sorry, but a career and the world at large doesn't care about your (not you specifically, people in general) feelings.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join