It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon's Portland Community College to Mark 'Whiteness History Month'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Your OP might have been clearer if you had provided this link: www.campusreform.org...

The month long program is really about "White Shaming".

What steams me about this is that the Community Colleges are the last hope for those who aren't wealthy enough to go to the Big State schools and of course.........they're tax payer funded. So, now, the question is......where does the "average" Joe or Jill Whitebread go for a college education where they can feel reasonably free from shaming, indoctrination, harassment and intimidation because of the color of their skin? Certainly not the big State schools; Mizou reports a 4.5% drop in enrollment.

If this continues and accelerates, as I have no doubt it will.....the average "Whitebread" wage earner is going to feel a lot less willing to support the Community College systems they're paying for. So now the kid looking for peaceful higher education will come to believe their best bet is the "for profit" schools which apparently deliver terrible results.

Or of course............there's Canada. But I doubt the middle class kid can afford that.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Well, it is Manhattan.

Which, in the sake of political correctness, we should rename to Personhattan.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Your post tripped my trigger.

Thanks, baby...

Anyway, I could explain white privilege to you, but I don't really see the point and I don't have an interest in changing your position. I love you just the way you are... But I will say that if you think it means white people get everything handed to them... you may want to research it a bit.

I don't care if people think it's real or not. Like Mr, Cowboy, I say, if people want to explore it, who gives a crap? Likewise, if they don't, that's fine, too.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Excellent info and thanks for the link Tony; that being said, I am a college freshman myself (starting out at a community college) and the race of the students is overwhelmingly African American, followed by Hispanic, Asian, and then Caucasian.

Interesting point you stated; What steams me about this is that the Community Colleges are the last hope for those who aren't wealthy enough to go to the Big State schools and of course.........they're tax payer funded

My education is paid for, but some stunts can barely afford their books, sadly...

thanks for the input

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The problem is white people can claim so so much. It is so rich in culture, philosophy, technology, political thought, and creating wealth.

In terms of a CIV game europe won every single victory condition except land domination though they got close at the peak of imperialism pre world wars.

The weeks of a white history month would have to be structured either by category or timespan. Just too many important people. or just pick the top 30, one for each day, a lot to leave out though.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Exploring the concept of "whiteness" does not mean that any one white person as an individual needs to feel guilty. It also does not mean that any one white person or their personal ancestors are guilty of committing acts of racism. It is about exploring the overall history of white privilege, and the idea that some of that white privilege still exists in some areas today.

Please don't tell me that you really believe there was never any white privilege in America's history.

How many of the Founding Fathers were black? How many of them were Native American Indians? Up until Obama, how many of our presidents were black? How many were Hispanic? For that matter, how many were women (not even going to go into male privilege - that's another thread)? That's not saying that all white people led lives of privilege - it's saying that the people who did lead lives of privilege were white.

Admitting that there might be some racism against non-whites doesn't mean you yourself should feel guilty. Admitting that there might still be some institutional racism against non-whites doesn't mean you yourself are a horrible person for being white.

What the hell is wrong with exploring the idea of white privilege - it's history and whether/how it still exists today in our society?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

It is quite ridiculous, actually. There is no concrete group called "white people"; there is no history that might be called "white", and it is racist.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Would affirmative action be considered institutional racism against whites?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

White privelage is the most nonsensical, and also, racist white supremacist concepts ever conceived. It promises, without evidence, that white people are treated better, get further ahead, and basically have no issues in life, because they are white, while blacks are doomed to failure because they are black.
edit on 21-1-2016 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

Would affirmative action be considered institutional racism against whites?

Affirmative action was developed to try to stop institutional racism against blacks. Is it your opinion that blacks have always been free to attend any college of their choice? Is it your opinion that blacks have always been hired for jobs that they were qualified for? Is it your opinion that blacks have always been promoted to higher positions that they were qualified to handle?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Numerous times I've experienced white privilege from the police as opposed to my black and mixed raced friends.

Seen it, lived it, confronted it.

Don't act like it doesn't exist in the land of the racist pig, especially if it exists in silly old tea drinking crumpet eating London.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

and basically have no issues in life

Not one person who talks about white privilege has ever said that except the conservatively correct masses.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

stopping institutional racism with more institutional racism... Sounds like a genius plan.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I knew when I clicked on this that it would be 2 comments in before someone was offended. I'm white. So? Did I plan it? Did I have a say in it? No to both and I'm not responsible for what happened 200 years ago!. None of us are, but God knows we have "victims" who'd have you believe they've picked the cotton and felt the whip.
It's ok to have Black History Month, MLK day, B.E.T. channel, Blacks Only dating sites and the list goes on, but let a white man be proud of what the race has accomplished and stand back, because heads are gonna explode.

I think you completely missed the point. This isn't about a legit white history month. It's about giving minorities a reason to hate whites and whites a reason to hate themselves.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: TheTory

and basically have no issues in life

Not one person who talks about white privilege has ever said that except the conservatively correct masses.

Have you ever left your locality for any length of time?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

stopping institutional racism with more institutional racism... Sounds like a genius plan.

What is your solution to stopping institutional racism? Doing nothing?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Some think white privilege exists, others don't. This seems to be an exploration of the notion that "whiteness" is an advantage in today's world and contributes to racism. If they want to look into that, who is it hurting? Certainly not me.

Certainly not you? The spreading of stereotypes and hate towards people who look like you might affect you at some point, you know? What about a conference on blackness and how the actions of black people have a negative affect on the so called "black community"?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: LSU0408

Well, it is Manhattan.

Which, in the sake of political correctness, we should rename to Personhattan.

Lol, you/re on a roll... That, or Humanhattan...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

What is your solution to stopping institutional racism? Doing nothing?

How do you even know such a thing exists without assigning beliefs and thoughts to people that they might not even have? Ironically, you assign these thought base don SKIN COLOR.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

What is yours? More institutional racism?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join