It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Teachers Stage Mass Sickout On Day Of Obama’s Visit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I agree.
Oh one hand I'm thinking, its still not going to be enough, but on the other hand, I'm thinking, at least something is getting repaired.
Only time will tell how this is going to play out and if anything will get actually fixed or just "covered up".

oooooo, maybe they can do something about the roads next

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
they should complain to the state first if they're gonna blame anyone. im sure putting your child's education on hold is worth it to prove a point. who sends their child to a public school anyways? there are much better ways to educate a child. i guess public schools are synonymous with day cares no a days anyways. if they really cared about their kids they'd try harder than just dropping them off at class in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon.
edit on 25-1-2016 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2016 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Squirlli
I agree.
Oh one hand I'm thinking, its still not going to be enough, but on the other hand, I'm thinking, at least something is getting repaired.
Only time will tell how this is going to play out and if anything will get actually fixed or just "covered up".

oooooo, maybe they can do something about the roads next

Unfortunately, I doubt anything will actually be fixed. In a large part, due to those sub standard reports.

Just more lipstick on a pig.

That's nice that you noticed the water damaged tiles, and I'm sure it will look good once those are replaced....but, what about the damned leak that created those lovely damage stains....not a peep in the report. Same with the flooring, the HVAC, exterior envelopes, etc.

It's no wonder their maintenance budget can't handle it. As long as the fix is always cosmetic, it becomes a regularly reoccurring item that loves to eat the budget right down to the bone, leaving nothing left to fix the root of the problem.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Squirlli

I would have already pulled my kid out of this school...

I know oOoTOPCAToOo sounds like a Detroit man, so TC, is this just one school or are they all like this? The way the media talks, they're all like this over there.

Really? Biohazardous protection over SOME of the urinals?

Forget the buckled cankles, look at that buckled floor!

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
That's crap right out of the inner city slums of Candyman right there...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
What a laugh, this is their answer to the problem, make more laws:

"Angered by teacher sick-outs that have caused many Detroit school closures, majority Republicans in Michigan's Legislature on Thursday proposed — and promised to quickly pass — legislation to make it easier to deem such work stoppages illegal strikes.

"If our current state law isn't sufficient to prevent activists from hurting kids, it's time we strengthen it," said Republican Sen. Phil Pavlov of St. Clair Township, 45 miles northeast of Detroit."

Source:abcnews.go.com...

I don't like the condition of the schools, but making laws so that the kids can continue to learn instead of being pushed aside is not a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
To be fair, what is happening to the Detroit Public Schools is part of a long, downward spiral over the last 25 years or more.

The State of Michigan has been baling them out for years, covering their debt. So now the State is their largest debt holder. And the District supposedly will run out of money this spring.
As a citizen of the State, that pisses me off.
The citizens should not be put in a position of having to finance the bad management of decades of School Board. The citizens cannot afford this.

Over the years, there has been reports of lack of books and supplies.
Dubious quality of education.
Student behavior problems.
Lack of parental concern.
Buildings in bad shape.
Questionable teachers.
Extreme drop out rates.
Etc
Etc
Etc

Therein lies your main problem. That is what leads to the other things you mentioned. Unfortunately it's not just in Detroit.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Oh yea, my kids would have been pulled so fast, the stains in their underwear would disappear. I would be doing the same things that the teachers are doing too. being from Michigan and having lived in Detroit for a time, I was blessed with not having gone to these schools. My sister in law did for about a year, before her mom moved them out of the city. She has friends still there who's children do go to one of these schools on the list. It is every bit as bad as it looks, and even worse.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Would your employer force you to work in those conditions? Thanks to the dedication of a few, they stay and try to make it better. The long term health of American children is no concern to you?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join