It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic to outweigh fish in oceans by 2050, study warns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

At least eight million tonnes of plastics find their way into the ocean every year—equal to one garbage truckful every minute, said the report by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which included analysis by the McKinsey Centre for Business and Environment.

"If no action is taken, this is expected to increase to two per minute by 2030 and four per minute by 2050," it said, with packaging estimated to represent the largest share of the pollution.

"In a business-as-usual scenario, the ocean is expected to contain one tonne of plastic for every three tonnes of fish by 2025, and by 2050, more plastics than fish," it said.

Plastic to outweigh fish in oceans by 2050, study warns

I don't even know what to say to this, it's so insane.

The first thing I thought of is how often you see some anti-science, quasi-religious comment on how "arrogant" environmentalists apparently are for thinking puny humans can actually affect the planet on a global scale. I'd say putting more plastic in the ocean than fish fits that criteria pretty well though.

It's weird reading about this too from a meeting of the world's economic elites, who generally depend on our gross consumerism to make themselves economic elites in the first place. At least someone there is paying attention I guess...more than you can say for most people, sadly.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

"global study by a foundation fronted by yachtswoman Ellen MacArthur"

...e.g. report by an attention seeking superrich but NON_SCIENTIST bitch....

Doom off

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Doesn't look good when your yacht is sailing through a sea of shrink wrap and "I can't believe it's not butter" tubs.

I already mentioned in the OP how weird it is to read about this from such a counter-conspiracy source. But that's ok, I'm sure it's all part of their "plot" somehow *yawn*. Like I said: at least some of these people are more clued in than the ones that feed the beast. Yup call the doom off, go back to sleep.

edit on 20-1-2016 by mc_squared because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Dead Bird innards - 'No fish, guess I'll eat plastic..'

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

We're a throw away society and killing this planet! Instead of using the best minds to create weapons of mass destruction and war, maybe the world should be amassing the brightest minds to create technology that will eliminate this massive waste cleanly without harming the planet!

We're all in this together. It would make sense that world governments should be focusing on this grave dilemma and instead not waiting until it's too late. All the money being spent on weapons won't prevent us from killing our planet and humanity.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

seabins, and what about that contraption some teenager invented that's supposed to comb the ocean and suck up trashes?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Actually you will find most civilized nations have pretty strict environmental laws. so, what can we do with 3rd world nations that have no laws. I dont think you can pin this on any party or political ideology in the west. Pretty much everyone likes our oceans and waterways.

I think technology is gonna have to help us out here. innovation made the mess, innovation will sort it out. watercraft drones can be deployed to collect and recycle all the junk..will take a few generations of development for such waterbots, but it will be done

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Ugh!

Maybe it will prevent the algal blooms? Dark humor, I know.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I would bet that corporations/governments doing illegal dumps is also significant, in comparison with 3rd world nations in terms of environmental impact.. and at this rate they will have even More impact and Less consequences, based on the way legislation is going.

& you're right, hopefully programmed drones can help reverse the pollution

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

seabins, and what about that contraption some teenager invented that's supposed to comb the ocean and suck up trashes?

Yeah, I remember that kid! Here's a young kid that comes up with a great idea. Just think what we could come up with if we had the best environmental engineers putting their heads together! Money shouldn't be an option when it comes to saving the planet and humanity.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Lets see someone run for a head of state on the platform of raising taxes by 500% to clean up after us and then see how many vote for that person. Or lets see someone get voted into office without a dime in campaign funds because his/her platform is making corporations pay for it.

Basically the societies that create this garbage have no desire to clean it up so.... we are screwed. 2050, 2150, what does it matter? There is no going back from this course.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Maybe recycle the plastic and then make floating water ballast systems.
These plastic water ballast systems- as long as they are tested and clear not to offset the water chemical balances of the water life from being processed recycled plastic made -then are placed on water body.
Depending on location aqua flora life may begin to grow upon them are may be assisted to grow.
Ice region location they can act as semi islands or land bridges for Arctic aquatic / land-ice mass life, especially if recycled plastic is treated-coated/formed to develop icing affect upon the plastic water ballast systems.

The goals are to recycle massive amounts of plastic and somehow reuse them with a more green like approach. And then use the approaches to help native fauna flora life.

Cannot overbuild ignorantly and intrude upon aquatic life habitat (as if ignoring the act of moving into aquatic life home spaces) to point where the sea bodies are plastic covered with recycled plastics that are blocking the STAR light from reaching the creatures that depend on it.

If done well coastal regions and off coastal regions can be designed. Off coastal would be more pod like so that if tsunami came for example or some other unforeseeable sea event, multi persons or individual pods would water sealed off and be built with already built in atmospheric gas O2 producers and pods then float on surface if off coastal.

To 1 to better approach the plastic recycled trash issues ways must be found to reuse it intelligently...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I'm throwing down the B.S. flag here. agenda driven tripe.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

I certainly hope there's not much rooted in fact here.

Care to elaborate on why you find this to be nonsense?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Frightening if true. It's such a preventable problem as well. Our lust for packaging will destroy this planet.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Actually you will find most civilized nations have pretty strict environmental laws. so, what can we do with 3rd world nations that have no laws. I dont think you can pin this on any party or political ideology in the west. Pretty much everyone likes our oceans and waterways.

I think technology is gonna have to help us out here. innovation made the mess, innovation will sort it out. watercraft drones can be deployed to collect and recycle all the junk..will take a few generations of development for such waterbots, but it will be done

Imagine if plastic was fish food.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is a good reminder to all who thinks overpopulation is not a PROBLEM.

When we destroy our seas we do it to ourselves.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
R&D is progressing.
www.theoceancleanup.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

I'm throwing down the B.S. flag here. agenda driven tripe.

Big time BS! Anyone can google plastic in the ocean and see there are different estimates and then can google how much fish are in the ocean and it should be pretty clear.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Yes it is Disgusting to look at, yes we should be more careful about what we do, but It is topics like this that bring one long vulgar quote to mind, George carlin's the Earth is Fine Rant. I was thinking of linking it but I do not want to get in trouble for it. If you got google-fu you can go read or watch it yourself.

But here we go a solution. www.imdb.com... There we go, sure New New York will be hit by it's return trip a million years from now, but it solves the problem for our generation and Upsets ET in the bargain.

CoBaZ

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join