It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change: 2015 'shattered' global temperature record by wide margin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
link

Global temperatures in 2015 were the warmest on record, according to data published by meteorologists in the UK and US.
The Met Office figures show that 2015 was 0.75C warmer than the long-term average between 1961-1990.
US data suggests that 2015 "shattered" the temperature record by the widest margin ever recorded.

Much of the warming has happened in the past 35 years, says Nasa, with 15 of the 16 warmest years on record occurring since 2001.
According to Noaa, 2015 is the fourth time an annual global temperature has been set this century. 2015 also saw record high temperatures for 10 months, with five months showing the highest departure from the average of any month on record.
And Dr Thomas Karl, who directs the administration's National Centers for Environmental Information, said current conditions would likely lead to 2016 being as warm as - if not warmer than - 2015.

"The idea of a pause in warming in the scientific community has been roundly refuted," said Prof Hayhoe.
"We know that climate change is measured over 20-30 years at least, and it's measured over that timeframe specifically because we have natural variability. When we look over 20-30 years and longer climate timescales, we see that global warming continues unabated."
This point was echoed by Dr Gavin Schmidt, from the Goddard Institute for Space Studies, which oversees the Nasa data record.
"The reason why this is such a warm record year is because of the long-term warming trend, and there is no evidence that that warming trend has slowed, paused, or hiatused at any point in the last few decades," he told reporters.

Well looks like we are in for another interesting year weather wise if the climate is warming this much.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Oh come on!!!
The earth has been here for billions of years, how many times was it MUCH warmer than it is now?
To say that its shattered global temperatures is just ridiculous!

A question to all pro gw peeps.
Please describe normal weather.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Aaaahhhh!
It's coming right for us!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Minoan and Roman warming periods.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Oh come on!!!
The earth has been here for billions of years, how many times was it MUCH warmer than it is now?

They can't because the history of the earth has been so volatile in recent history that a clear picture of climate is invariably hard to get.

Pre younger dryas, post younger dryas, Minoan and Roman warming periods, mini ice age, and all unexplained.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Oh come on!!!

The article's title is misleading, but the actual point of reference for the term "shattered" was to describe that the record breaking temperatures of 2015 shattered the temperature record by the widest margin ever recorded.

It was not saying that the temperature for 2015 was the hottest in all of the Earths history.

The Earth has natural warming and cooling periods due to the fluctuation in Earths orbit around the sun over time.

The people that support the claim that global warming exists acknowledge that there are natural cycles of this. What is abnormal is that we should be in a cooling period, but we've prevented that, and we are currently seeing an increase in temperature.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

This is good news. I can use an extended summer.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

All I see in that graph is unexplainable variations in an oscillating energy pattern that we don't understand.

Cymatics.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I'm more concerned with environmental destruction through deforestation and pollution than I am with global warming. The atmospheric carbon would not be much of a factor if we were not cutting down so much plant diversity around the globe and destroying the environment with nuclear and plastic pollution at alarming rates. The Pacific Ocean is an absolute human garbage dump that appears to be dying because of our pollutants we are dumping into it, Fukushima and other sites. If the oceanic ecosystems fail, humanity is in deep trouble that, in my opinion, trumps human based global warming.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

They've been trying to pin all warming upon humans. Read one earlier that was blaming prehistoric warming on humans beginning to do farming...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Oh come on!!!

Agreed, the US finding is moot, since their ground equipment placings alone are highly suspect in how many places?
I don't know how representative global percentage wise belongs to the UK, but the US percentage is given as 2% and the ground stats can be nothing but cranky. Woooo!

Next thing we'll be told is that satellites have been around for a couple of centuries and don't lie, while the real truth is that the best shot from them came just last year.
Oh! did I forget something...Mea Culpa I did, this year, or was it last year? more that any other we are being told we are going to be freezed and fried, or was it fried and freezed? at any time..FFS I have been freezed and fried all my life since 1946!
In fact 2015 [for me] was more like a summer than we have had in these parts, for around 12 years...I was actually able to see that great big orangey, no yellow, no pallid whitey ball in the sky called the Sun.
What I really would like to say here would ultimately have my comments being er, frozen!

edit on 20-1-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

The people that support the claim that global warming exists acknowledge that there are natural cycles of this. What is abnormal is that we should be in a cooling period, but we've prevented that, and we are currently seeing an increase in temperature.

No we are not, the trend is cooler. None of this, currently spoken in a noncommital sound byte fashion...and we have prevented sod all.
Next thing to grace these pages will be a regional global warming analysis...I dare them.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It actually isn't too hard to glean from the title of the article that the RECORD was broken. The only RECORD we have is the one WE started to keep in 1880.

What's concerning about that is we should be in cooling phase so whatever could it be that is causing a deviation in the climate cycle from EVERYTHING we know to cause a change in climate from cool to warm?

What changed? Dramatic orbit reversal? Somehow, I think not.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

This is complete BS, there is no Global Warming, the Earth has survived so many cycles just like this. Whatever carbon we emit has no baring on this.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Who ever put the data together to show record temperatures obviously doesn't live in Scotland. The hottest year I remember was about 1976, 2015 was really quite rubbish weather wise.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

The record is for the global average temperature. I'm not sure your perceptions are really up to the task of determining that, but this does not mean it was necessarily hotter in any particular place than it has been in the past.

It is interesting though that, in the past 365 days globally, there have been 409 all time high temperature records set, as opposed to 53 all time low temperature records.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

edit on 1/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Royal76

the Earth has survived so many cycles just like this.

But then, the concern is not really the survival of the Earth, is it? It has to do with impacts on people.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Oh come on!!!

Humans have not been around for billions of years.

I suspect your opposition is ideological in basis, nit intellectual.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Royal76

the Earth has survived so many cycles just like this.

But then, the concern is not really the survival of the Earth, is it? It has to do with impacts on people.

I think the real calculation to be considered is the impact on profits, I believe this constitutes the institutional basis of "anti global warming" proponents.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
screw it
edit on 21-1-2016 by yesyesyes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join