It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Pharma is Synthesizing Cannabis to Make a Patent-able Pill and It’s Killing People.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
More cannabis related news for you fine people at ATS.
Link

These seemingly miraculous benefits have gotten the attention of the pharmaceutical industry which is likely interested in profiting from said benefits. The thing about cannabis, however, is that it doesn’t need Big Pharma to produce it, package it and distribute, as it can grow in your backyard.

Since no one can patent a wild plant, pharmaceutical industries turn to their labs and chemistry to recreate nature.

Here lies our problem. Big pharma can't grasp the Entourage effect of cannabis.

They want to isolate the compounds package it and sell every single one back to us in pill form. I hate to admit it but I knew they would eventually kill someone with these shenanigans.

According to Ouest France, a recent test conducted by Biotrial, on behalf of the Portuguese pharmaceutical company Bial, has left six people hospitalized in Rennes. One of those six people was declared clinically dead at the University Hospital of Rennes last week.

Cannabis has been used for thousands of years without a single death. This "drug" hasn't even made it out of the testing phase and it's taking life's.

The effects of the synthetic chemical compounds on the endocannabinoid system were, indeed, a dangerous factor.

The important thing to address here is these synthetics bypass our built in natural defenses. Humans have very few cannabinoid receptors on our lower brainstem. Thus giving us a natural defense from over consumption of THC and cannabis.

Sparse densities in lower brainstem areas controlling cardiovascular and respiratory functions may explain why high doses of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol are not lethal.
Source

According to which US Government authority you want to believe, the lethal dose of marijuana is either about one-third your body weight, or about 1,500 pounds, consumed all at once.
Source
I did the math the other day for a hash/concentrates overdose.
It was about 80 pounds...

Shameless plug:
Click my signature to learn more about the endocannabinoid system.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Great information - like you said, the natural form of it is actually beneficial in so many ways.

This synthetic stuff is deadly. I feel bad for those who volunteered to be guinea pigs (I'm sure they were paid for it).. now they're lives are over

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

It's interesting that instead of cutting their lobbying efforts towards keeping marijuana illegal, Big Pharm instead tries to synthetically reproduce cannabis which basically says they agree with the science, yet want to keep it illegal. Definitely screams ulterior motives. I really question why it is so hard for people to see that marijuana needs to just be legalized and be done with it. The evidence is overwhelming.
edit on 20-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It's a natural herb, let's keep it that way you blood sucking animals!!

BIG Pharma only have BIG Profits in mind, regardless of who/what gets in the way.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
As always, Man tries to play God and ^%#*^ everything up.

"Lethal dose," of cannabis?

How about lethal doses of alcohol and prescription narcotics which generally regulate the "Meh," responses?

I'm sure this will be pushed by Big Pharma to ensure that their drugs don't do what cannabis does.

Anyways, this is (hilariously) ironic. The same entity that ensures that there's no medicinal benefits are now trying to mimic this plant... and it's medicinal benefits.

Big pharma and their prescription narcotics have some SEVERE side-effects, I'd personally go with growing my own medicine that trusting in the dogma of an orginization that ALWAYS places profits over people.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
"They" already sell this crap in stores under the name "synthetic marijuana" (Interestingly it is NEVER 'synthetic cannabis') probably should read "synthetic marihuana" and then show clips of Reefer Madness but instead of smoking joints the users could be taking their 'tablet' and then acting "normal" (good luck in defining normal)

BigPHarma™ doesn't want You growing Your own medicine and because there is a strain for every pain.. I wonder if "They" would sign-off on a $150.00 a year "User's Card"? If You want to use cannabis You pay a yearly fee of $150.00, heck I'd get the tattoo but I'm hardcore like that and I'd have to repay 'The Zig Zag Man' because He has a tattoo of Me but that is another forum.

To quote the words of Peter Tosh "Legalize It, don't criticize it..."

namaste

Proud Member of LEAP..

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

If I recall, there was a report on CNN that said the pharmaceutical company said it wasn't cannabis.

Many news organizations rushed to report on a drug trial in France that went horribly wrong, leaving six hospitalized, including one man described as "brain dead."

Some early reports of the unfortunate incident indicated that the drug being used in the trial contained cannabidiol (CBD), an active cannabinoid found in cannabis.

French Health Minister Marisol Touraine held a press conference in Rennes today vowing "to get to the bottom of this tragic incident." But she has already determined one thing: the drug is not related to cannabis and did not contain CBD.

The drug being tested, developed by a Portuguese pharmaceutical company named Bial, was intended to be administered orally and was reported to be in testing for use in combatting degenerative diseases.

Here's one source

edit on 20-1-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Right there with you Crazy. The continued lobbying efforts against it definitely speaks volumes. Some people clearly have issues with being able to grow your own medicine.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I'm not even sure why that's a problem. It's not like when cannabis is legalized, EVERY marijuana user will start growing a plant in their basement/backyard. Most will still go to the stores to buy it. You can brew your own beer rather easily too, but not everyone does that either. It's ridiculous...
edit on 20-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yup this was a long time coming... It's the same thing they do with other plants that have medicinal properties. A good amount of drugs are made by mimicking the chemical constituents in essential oils of plants. The Pharms know the naturally occurring chemical in the plant is safer and often times more effective than the lab produced knockoff, however like op and others have touched on, the big problem is... YOU CAN'T PATENT A PLANT. So you gotta make a fake one..

Nature has a cure for darn near every ailment. A little off-topic but at work I'm jokingly known as the "shaman" or "witch doctor" because co-workers come to me for things like rashes, warts, headaches, general aches and pains and even for episodes of insomnia/ sleeplessness. I whip them up a blend of NATURAL essential oils and I've had 95% success with these types of ailments.

God/ mother earth/ universe has provided us, from the dirt, the only medicine we should've ever used.

Good post OP. Though it is terrible news indeed....

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is not new. They came up with "merinol", synthisized THC years ago.
When my wife had cancer, they tried to charge her $1,800 for a prescription of 40 pills.
When I threatened to sue the insurance company for refusing to pay, they backed down.
Turns out they made her sick, because she could not tolerate the effects, and we threw them away. They probably filtered out all of the good things in Cannabis, and just gave her a drug for her mind. Pharma FU.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
I'm hardcore like that and I'd have to repay 'The Zig Zag Man' because He has a tattoo of Me but that is another forum.

LOL Awesome.

It's just really nice to see this topic being discussed on ATS. It's been a long time overdue.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Exactly! It's not cannabis. But it was designed to substitute cannabis treatments and it killed someone. If there was REAL natural occurring CBD in the drug it would never kill anyone. Like I said in the OP it would take obscene amounts to die from naturally occurring cannibinoids.

It's a bit like the Marinol argument. They claim it's THC(Delta-9) yet it's a Frankenstein molecule that barely resembles THC. I suspect the same is true here. They created a synthetic cannibinoid and our body has no natural defense against it...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I recently posted a thread about the Biotrial incident in France here.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
While creating a canniboid pill is nice, and THC is known as the main psychoactive chemical, and large doses of this are dangerous, it should be noted THC(gets you high) as the main recreational ingredient, isn't what the main interests in creating a pill-form is focused around.

CBD in Marijuana has been shown to be an:
Antibacterial
Inhibitor of cancer cells growth
Neuro-protective
Promotes bone growth
Reduces seizures
Reduces blood sugar level
Reduces inflammation
Reduces risk of artery blockage
Reduces small intestinal constructions
Reduces vomiting and nausea
Relives pain
Relieves anxiety
Slows bacterial growth
Surpreses muscle spasms
Traquilizing
Treats psoriasis
Vasorelaxant

Ontop of all that, it DOESN'T get you high. I smoke it pretty regularly for Rheumatoid Arthritis. But with the health issues involved with smoking, a pill form would be nice.

It's just that while CBD pills are being made, the exposure of THC pills and recreational MMJ isn't helping.
edit on 20-1-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Marinol has been around for ages...

Dronabinol (Marinol) is a man-made form of cannabis (also known as marijuana). ... Dronabinol is also used to treat severe nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy. Dronabinol is for use only when other medications have been unable to control the nausea and vomiting.

Link

They've been making synthetic cannabis products for years...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I have spent many days contemplating the same thing. High grade medical cannabis is a pain in the rear to grow. Most people don't have the time, motivation, or knowledge to grow something that requires as much attention as a toddler. There is a definite market here. I feel the problems start when the farmers market aspect starts to crop up. No way to regulate or make obscene amounts of money off it if a bunch of private citizens are the ones growing it and setting the price. So their best defense is continue to lobby against.
edit on 20-1-2016 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I had always thought that cannabinoids were only produced by the cannabis plant, but apparently humans and animals are able to synthesize what is known as endocannabinoids. While I'm an advocate of legalization, and well, a fan of cannabis, one of the more legitimate criticisms of it's recreational usage is that it can create a chemical imbalance of your Endocannabinoid system. I'd trust a few million years of evolution, my own endogenous chemistry, and widespread cultural usage before I would a pharmaceutical company though.

Endocannabinoid system
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a group of endogenous cannabinoid receptors located in the mammalian brain and throughout the central and peripheral nervous systems, consisting of neuromodulatory lipids and their receptors. Known as "the body’s own cannabinoid system",[1] the ECS is involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, and memory, and in mediating the psychoactive effects of cannabis.

Two primary endocannabinoid receptors have been identified: CB1, first cloned in 1990; CB2, cloned in 1993. CB1 receptors are found predominantly in the brain and nervous system, as well as in peripheral organs and tissues, and are the main molecular target of the endocannabinoid ligand (binding molecule), Anandamide, as well as its mimetic phytocannabinoid, THC. One other main endocannabinoid is 2-Arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG) which is active at both cannabinoid receptors, along with its own mimetic phytocannabinoid, CBD. 2-AG and CBD are involved in the regulation of appetite, immune system functions and pain management.[1][2][3]

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Marinol has been around for ages...

Dronabinol (Marinol) is a man-made form of cannabis (also known as marijuana). ... Dronabinol is also used to treat severe nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy. Dronabinol is for use only when other medications have been unable to control the nausea and vomiting.

Link

They've been making synthetic cannabis products for years...

I'm very aware of Marinol. I'm also aware how dissimilar Marinol is compared to naturally occurring THC molicule it's designed to replicate. Think of it like comparing saccharin to natural cane sugar. What would you rather put in your body?
Not a single one of these synthetic cannabis products will ever come close to the real deal.
Marinol has side effects never before seen from the use of cannabis.
edit on 20-1-2016 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I have a partner who's been in and out of the hospital for
the last year. I told him about all that's going on with the
oil video. Odd thing is he already had a grip of butter that
just needed the oil pulled. Well as you can guess after one
week he's up do'n things he hasn't been able to in a year
because of the heart problems. I'm beyond amazed so you
can imagine how he feels. One drop morning one at night,
he's do'n great and the doctors said 70 % of his heart was
dead. I think they're !&#*ing @$$ holes. No, that's not what
I want to say. I'm convinced they are, because no one wants
to think that.
edit on Rpm12016v35201600000035 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join