It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

free association writing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Apperently, through a writing proscess called 'free association writing', one is able to continue writng withought consiously thinking about it. some people have ended up with traslatabe latin and other languages on thier paper, but i want to know how its done. has anyone tried? and positive/negative experiences? buy mainly , how is it done?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Just start writing. That's pretty much it. If you need to, start writing a sentence that already exists(the thing about the start is that you tend to consciously want to think of a subject. Free associative writing is done as a reaction, not a predication. You can even write words that pop into your head but logically don't connect.......when you're ready complete thoughts will form. Whenever I write for myself I write free-associative, it's easier than worrying what to write about, indeed, it's all about getting past you're "barriers".

Good Luck.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
yea i jsut cant seem to break the 'conscious' barrier... i cant seem to jsut be able to write freely. stupid school systems

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Try doing two things at once. Seriously. Put music on real loud, or have T.V. on in the background. Also, make sure that you're relaxed. Doing more than one thing at a time helps to automate some of your responses, kind of like having your mind daydream when you are doing a repetitive task that requires no thought. Don't expect to black out and wake up with a written discertation - that is not the point - you want to write as a reaction.

BTW, I noticed the word "can't" being used twice. That's a conscious hang-up. Once you forget that word, things will happen. Besides, the fact that you inquired assumes the fact that you will at some point. The whole scenario doesn't support any entertaining of the word "can't"

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Stupid question... What of the eye situation? Leave them open? Look at what your writing? Close eyes..etc...etc...
This sounds interesting.. I'd like to try, with a little more information.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
ok, that last comment of yours(tide-boy hhaha j/k 'brain wash') made no sense whatsoever hahahha

have fun with that.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by ivanglam]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ivanglam
ok, that last comment of yours(tide-boy hhaha j/k 'brain wash') made no sense whatsoever hahahha

have fun with that.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by ivanglam]

Merely trying to communicate that if you think you can't, you probably won't.

"have fun with that."
Whatever do you mean?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Useful 1diot
Stupid question... What of the eye situation? Leave them open? Look at what your writing? Close eyes..etc...etc...
This sounds interesting.. I'd like to try, with a little more information.

Not a stupid question....Ever just zone out staring at something? Try it while writing, try to stare at the paper, etc. I don't know what else I could say to explain, if you have more specific questions I could try helping.

Oh, don't need to close your eyes, but it may work....see what works for you.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
have fun with that = dont take my comment too seriously

mrq

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I've heard that writing with the hand that you don't normally use yields some results.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
i doubt it , i would be too preoccupied with my neatness to be able to write withought thinking haha

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Here is a link to a site about Ruth Montomery where she discusses automatic writing and how she does it. ( She is/was a medium and you can find her books and other info by doing a web search) I think the automatic writing and the free association writing are pretty much the same thing or at least very similar.

I recall reading years ago that she channeled Arthur Ford and "automatically" finished a book he was writing when he died. ( Arthur Ford was the medium that tried to communicate with Houdini.....you can also find info about Ford through a web search)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I've done this on accident once before, I was watching a show and and had been writing things that I thought were interesting, than I looked down on the commercioal and I had written a sentence sort of sideways, I have no idea what it means if anything, it was this:

Necar lenit tinlay dei erit.

The closest thing I've been able to associate it with is latin, but I've never found a translation.

new topics

top topics

join