It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rational Wiki ATS hit piece desription page

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Has anyone seen this page before?
RationalWiki

It seems like a very negative and unfair description of ATS, its members and its content. It claims there are over 100s of organization trackers here, it claims most of the user content is actually lifted from Godlike Productions and Alex Jones's info wars, and even makes a point to link to Jared Loughner. WTF is that all about?

The site's main feature is the forum, harvesting 94 subforums (due to lack of child boards, it appears quite cluttered). Some of them will make you think "WTF is this doing here?", while others seem to be in need of being merged. Of course, the main activity rests in news, conspiracy, politics, current events, and... mystery. New topics are constantly being opened by the site's users, but very little of them are actually theirs, instead being lifted from their friendly neighbors at Infowars, Godlike Productions or some other site, which does lead to some hilarious results at times. Even still, they claim ownership of the articles they hijacked. Ironically, the moderation staff employ a lot of censorship when policing the site, including their tendency to censor rival conspiracy theory websites, even though ATS is in the top 1,500 most viewed websites according to Alexa, and it is highly unlikely anyone there hasn't heard of Alex Jones. As mentioned before, the site initially focused mostly on UFOs and aliens, and today it remains a driving force in the message board. New topics featuring all sorts of Photoshopped images, fake videos, sci-fi excerpts and quotes are constantly opened. The claims generally range from "I saw a UFO." to "Jesus was a reptilian alien cyborg from the constellation Draco." Some of it makes a good read, though. Ironically for a forum mainly populated by paranoid conspiracy theorists, it has an extraordinarily large number of trackers, so if you don’t want 100+ organizations labeling you as a bona fide nutter, then you should only view the ATS site via a proxy or with an ad-blocker set to "high".[3]

See also Jared Loughner: Mass murderer, attempted assassin, and definite crank who posted on ATS but was too loony even for them.

I don't know how you guys feel about this as an online community but I was talking with someone about this site because I was asked if I have any of my art work anywhere online. I said yeah I recently posted some to here on ATS and the person I was conversing with advised me of the link provided. I hope that people here especially the ownership has something to say about this as I have illustrated have seen this description here and has influenced someone negatively in a way that makes them not wish to come here. What do you guys think about this description of us here? I think alot of it is BS and an intentional Hit Piece. It was last updated on Jan. 10 2016 so someone is active on that even now.

Edit. I have no idea how this got in fragile earth, I was going for board and business please move if possible mods!!

edit on 20-1-2016 by Brotherman because: wrong forum decleration

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Yea, that entry on rationalwiki pops up on ATS from time to time. I don't worry about it, but if you think it is inaccurate you could always take it up with rationalwiki's site moderators.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
there are 47 tracking robots attempting to track me on this website at this time. would you like a list?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It is an opinion piece rather than a factual representation.

As such, it does not represent the truth.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Given RationalWikis slant on things I can see them attempting to slander any and all conspiracy websites.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Rationalwiki is biased, just google "RationalWiki Bias"

encyclopediadramatica.se...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
I've been here a long time, I've never heard of or seen this before unless I dont remember it. I am still curious as to what the board and business owners have to say about this as I find it blatantly an obfuscation of the truth and reality of this place. I think the owners and board should have a right to rebutt what is said there, this is just my opinion though. I dont like the idea if someone asks if I posted something online to say ATS and someone says oh you better be careful there, and refer you to that garbage.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
They doth protest too much methinks

Jealousy perhaps

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I'm sure they do have a right to refute what is written there, but I can tell you for a fact that I first heard about this entry on ATS and before this thread.
edit on 20-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Ok thanks KS,

I dont recall it but never said it didn't exist

Well either way, its still being updated as current as 4 days ago..

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

RationalWiki feigns itself as a viable source, and rational, but is at the same time irrational in its partisanship and bias.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: freemanwalking
there are 47 tracking robots attempting to track me on this website at this time. would you like a list?

What does that mean exactly? Can they climb stairs? Should I grab the cat and reload with slugs?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Come on it is funny. And kind of true. That's why i like ATS so much...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTory
I can't weigh an opinion on rational wiki as a whole, I've never been there before or if I have it was long ago and the experience has long slipped into the forgotten bin in my brain. The point is though, is for people that do visit there, this is how we are portrayed. I know on Wikipedia false claims and how information has been removed in the past, it appears to me though that rational wiki tries to appear as a factual place for information. I know dont believe everything you read on the internet but in this case it is an ongoing portrayal of an online community.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You should all read the Encyclopaedia Dramatica installation for ATS.

It's disgusting and probably slanderous.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
You should all read the Encyclopaedia Dramatica installation for ATS.

It's disgusting and probably slanderous.

That's for the ATS owners to worry about.

I tell people I am a member here and it's usually met with a 'Oh, what's that?'

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Actually, it's a fairly accurate description of ATS. People in love with ATS don't see it that way, I realize. I'm not sure the accusation of GLP is accurate, but ATS has become a news aggregator site where a half dozen posters will put up a thread that first appears on Fox News, Drudge, etc., and they're often not really good about proper attribution. I've read about the trans-Pluto planet in about five or six different places today: Seattle Times, Fox, Drudge, Slashdot, and ATS. I actually believe it is a problem. I originally came here because of my interest in UFOs, but now that topic is rarely mentioned in favor of current events. So yeah, the traffic has grown, but at the expense of the original purpose of the site.

And, yes, moderation is a problem, too, though most moderators I believe are doing a good and credible (and thankless) job. Still, you gotta laugh at the people who report they got an applause for a post by one moderator, and a post ban for the same post by another. And quite often threads just simply disappear without warning. Sometimes I see the point and it's obvious what's going to happen. Other times I just shake my head wondering why. Not my site, I realize, just an observation.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
People break the T&C, get themselves in a state of denial, let their egos's run wild, can't admit that they could possibly have been wrong, get themselves banned and then go off and write crud on sites like that as "revenge".

Gullible people may believe what they write, but ultimately I think people who come onto ATS, stick within the T&C, don't build up unrealistic expectations about what the site "is supposed to be" and don't have egos the size of a small Kuipier Belt Object realise that the site doesn't fit such descriptions

And the ones who have thrown a tantrum and post such things...they always try and come back, usually after trying to start their own forum which they state will be the "death of ATS".

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: freemanwalking

In fact yes.

And while you're at it, please let me know what you call a "tacking robot."

That strange alarmist Lightbeam screen grab is funny: the first URL listed is a service that ensures no malware or "tracking robots" are running in ads.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It doesnt sound to unfair to me TBH. Theres lots of stuff here that is just reposted content though im not sure what the percentage is between that and original posts.

These days ATS just seems to be an American politics/news discussion site so because of this there is a lot of reposted content. We have two people posting regular video series here and they never seem to touch on anything but American politics or policies. I get that the majority of people here must be American and that's why all the topics seem American based, i just wish there was something else to talk about other than America. Even the forum icons are American based., Politics and people is Obama's face, war on terrorism is Americas ex no1 enemy, aircraft projects is an American fighter jet, general conspiracies is Nixon's face.

AS for the UFO forum i think that will be in general decline forever now. As technology gets better and better we will realize there really hasn't ever been much to all the past UFO reports and people will have to try harder and harder to hoax any in the future.

I do think a lot of the forums seem unnecessary.

I also think that the majority of people hare do not come to find out the truth about subjects rather than to find ways to back up or prove their own beliefs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join