It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarette explodes in man's mouth in Telford

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Oh, geez. Use a regulated mod. Don't buy crappy batteries, make sure you know about battery safety. Use an ohm reader. Don't go above the limits that your device is able to handle and everyone will be fine. People need to educate themselves before taking this up, it's not a child's toy. We do need more info though, like what his setup was like. Big tobacco just trying to scare everyone.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I would guess more people have been hurt driving to the store for e cigarette supplies than have been hurt by the cigarette.

...and in related news...

182.000 car accidents in 2013...

...looks like any type of driving is dangerous...

Å99

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The whole demonizing e-cigs is quite the odd thing.

Get's people off cigs

Currently it seems about as dangerous as caffeine.

we'll have to wait 20-40 years to know for sure.

They do generally bypass smoking laws which is nice at bars on the weekend enjoying a brew while its 10F outside

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Nice...a fellow ATS Vaper. I think we need a forum!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
I read the other day that E-cigs might cause a condition called popcorn lung. Something to do with the additives in the liquid. Flavours and such. Cant find the article.

Diacetyl

Discovered by the e cig community long before the MSM picked up on it. Most reputable eliquid brands submit their products to be tested to prove it is not in the juice.

*Edit*

Regards to the exploding, from my understanding its from "mods" which are much more powerful combined with cheaply made and people who lack basic knowledge of how voltage works; batteries can blow!

Ive been vaping non stop for four years, only buying brand name gear and have never had a problem *knock on wood*
edit on 20-1-2016 by deuceawesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Nice...a fellow ATS Vaper. I think we need a forum!!!!

That would be cool!

As stated before: the story is a joke.

No details at all.

No listing of what type of e-cig it was.

Was it standard? Was it a mod? What type of ohms was the coil?

I could go on and on.

There are many ways to make any kind of battery either explode or cause a fire.

Had someone the other day exclaim to me that I need to be careful! That e-cig stuff will give you popcorn lung!

Then I educated them: IE - it's only certain flavors that have been speculated, based upon a chemical that as of yet, even doctors are no 100 percent sure causes popcorn lung.

And - I don't use those flavors.....DOH!

Yet another example of the media doing a great job to make people go off half cocked, clueless, and in a panic.

If this had been a story about a guy driving a car and the tires came off, wouldn't you all want to know what kind of car? The make and year? The kind of tires?

Or would you instead go: Oh! Driving is bad! Cars will kill you!

smh

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
The whole demonizing e-cigs is quite the odd thing.

Get's people off cigs

Currently it seems about as dangerous as caffeine.

we'll have to wait 20-40 years to know for sure.

They do generally bypass smoking laws which is nice at bars on the weekend enjoying a brew while its 10F outside

I enjoy vaping; I loved smoking and this for me is a compromise. Ive yet to discover any reason to stop. If one comes Ill consider it but until then Im blowing clouds.

Im also enjoying watch the nanny state getting all worked up, whenever I get sent a bash link from a family member I reply with a counter article which proves it to be rubbish. Question everything.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I smoked cigarettes since I was 15 years old. was up to nearly 2 packs a day before I quit. over 20 years of smoking without any hope of quitting (well, hope, but not convinced anything would work)

did chantex and after 2 weeks, swapped from cigarettes to chantex, bam...last cigarette was 2 years ago this month, last time I vaped was last month (slowly weened myself off of nicotine and the general habit. 2 years at my own pace)

I swear by those electronic miracles as a amazing tool to take the pain of quitting away and making quitting go from impossible to very likely once you start.

I quit vaping because I was doing it less and less anyhow, and the minor concern that there could be some long term damage done..I swapped over to cinnamon toothpicks now.

Buy your batteries from a reputable place, a solid product made from an actual accountable business, and dont change or mod it. its a rechargable battery, they tend to occasionally malfunction in -all- devices, your ipad, your mobile phone, etc..google exploding electronics or the like and you will see many cases.

I reckon the chances of this happening to you would be along the lines of lightning hitting you as you are being eaten by a shark that just got struck by a meteor or something astronomically high

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

That's a really good idea. I wish I had thought of that one.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Can we just throw this in the hoax bin? We all know what it is, another big tobacco sponsored story. They tried real hard last year to push SEVERAL exploding ecig stories. ALL of them have been debunked by various social media such as reddit.

About the popcorn lung, no respectable vape shop will use that chemical. It has been known for years.

Lastly, someone mentioned that ecigs are a new thing and that we don't know the affects these have over the years. False. People have been vaping in China since the late 80's. Vaping has been really popular in the US since about 2005. In the last 5 years vaping revenue has approached tobacco revenue, big tobacco lost over 4 billion in revenue to vapors in 2014 for example. About the same time these scare tactic stories started popping up. Same goes for FDA legislation.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Quit smoking problem solved.

Vaping != Smoking

Vaping helps people quit smoking that are too weak to quit. Vaping saves lives.

Question everything, problem solved.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

In all fairness, I personally know someone who had their mod "explode," in their pocket.

Thing is - dude was incredibly overweight.
He had an unregulated box-mod; meaning that the button used to fire the mod has no safety/lock feature. Hence why it's HEAVILY considered to "pulse," non-regulated mods.

Anyways, the dude sat on his mod which was in his back pocket - and again, no safety features. (What a dumbass!)

Of course, within a few minutes of him sitting on his mod and it firing the entire time, it overheated - and it left a pretty nasty mark on the back of his leg.

This dude was absolutely vehement in that "it was not his fault," "the mod shouldn't get that hot," but I'm clueless - did the guy not know what an unregulated device is?

Did he not realize that putting an unregulated device, right underneath of your body while sitting, is probably not the best idea?

After this happened - many people asked questions such as, "How can you prevent this? If I leave my device out in my car at work, how do I not know that it won't auto-fire?"

Uh - well, Einstein, you could remove the batteries, and put them in solely when they use them? OR, you could invest in a device - such as mine - that has a digital readout of battery charge/life, as well as the ohm level, and variable W.

My device even has a setting to run in Joule mode, which takes Titanium/Lead coils - and, it is generally known that these are not "safe," to inhale... but guess what? The type of coil used is specially designed, to cut itself off after the coil reaches a certain temperature as to prevent Lead poisoning.

At the vape shop I visit, I personally know and am good friends with not only the guy who owns/created the two current shops, but they are VERY, VERY happy to tell you by-name, who makes the juice they recieve, where it comes from, etc etc.

For instance, they have a "home," juice that is significantly cheaper than brand name juice lines, and their home juice is created by ONE person.

All in all, I would put my weight and trust into the person who makes the juice versus someone that sees something on the Internet and can't control their knee.

Anyway, to put in the layman terminology - and the irony is thick was this:

IT IS A FREEDOM THING. Yeah... freedom to do what you please as a consenting adult, whilst hurting nobody (but potentially yourself), in America? Crazy right?

I personally do not need the government, or anyone else to tell me what is and isn't healthy for me. I take care of myself, I am told daily "I am too skinny," "vaping isn't good for you," I just wish these people would collectively come together and piss off - go and dictate to each other how to live your lives, and leave me the HELL out of it.

When I was in college, I vaped regularly throughout class - mainly due to not taking massive hits and blowing huge clouds, do that elsewhere - and in particular my Philosophy professor had no quarrel with it. Within a few short months, "electronic smoking devices," were all but banned from campus and were to be used is "smoker," areas, which is completely understandable.

I was told at a restaurant, while being outside in the garden area, that I wasn't allowed to vape. So I promptly ordered myself four beers, and was thoroughly hammered before I left the restaurant.

But hey, it's all about "safety," right?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Exactly, what type of device was it? What brand? This definitely does not help our cause. I vape and these "studies" scare tactics are not good. Popcorn lung has been debunked. Nicotine is no worse then caffeine in a recent study I read. Hover boards are blowing up. I saw a picture on the web, the guy used a shoe string as cotton stuffed inside his coil. Some really dumb people out there. I also make my own juice.

edit on America/ChicagoWed, 20 Jan 2016 15:42:00 -0600Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:42:00 -06002016-01-20T15:42:00-06:00k by errck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Exploding E-Cigs is only one of the possible problems. There was also a study done that links E-Cigarettes to the respiratory condition known as 'popcorn lung'

Look it up.

Always find it hilarious when hipsters try to claim that e-cigs are SO MUCH healthier than those nasty traditional cigarettes.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
I read the other day that E-cigs might cause a condition called popcorn lung. Something to do with the additives in the liquid. Flavours and such. Cant find the article.

Some 70% may contain diacetyl, the additive responsible for popcorn lung, so named because of workers exposed to it, inhaled it in a popcorn factory. Conversely, regular cigs contain 100 times the amount in an ecig.

Tobacco cigarettes, for instance, have also long been known to contain diacetyl — at levels over 100 times those found in electronic cigarettes — yet earlier tobacco studies found that even these levels were not enough to cause popcorn lung in smokers.

Read more: www.rollingstone.com...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

We have, and it's been debunked. Cigarettes have 700x more Diacetyl and yet not 1 case of popcorn lung.

We also vape Antifreeze!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

sounds like an addict taking it personally to me. Simple solution would be to just go back to regular cigarettes.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ismynameimportant

That happened a few months back to my friends employee. He was in critical condition and had to be flown out to a burn hospital.

Until that happened I never heard of it occurring before. I believe he has a hefty lawsuit in the works.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Me, a hipster.......

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's rich!

How about doing more than reading the media. Do your research....and make it more than Fox, NBC, CBS, CNN, etc, etc....

Because I always find it funny when someone starts talking about something when they don't actually know more than what the news told them.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
So if you use ecigs you're either gay or a hipster. Okay.. News to me.

I personally don't even do it for health reasons. They're preferential to me mainly because I can vape indoors, including at work, without affecting others in the slightest, it keeps me (and my things) from smelling like an ashtray and they taste much more refreshing to my palate than traditional cigarettes. I enjoy using them, its a not-so-guilty pleasure.

The price difference doesn't hurt, either.

Not too concerned with the health aspect, and if I were I'd likely elect to not vape at all rather than take any risks. However, I can't see them even coming close to being as harmful to one's health as smoking tobacco cigarettes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join