It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarette explodes in man's mouth in Telford

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

An e-cigarette exploded in a man's mouth, knocking out a tooth and leaving him with burns.

The man was smoking in his bedroom in Telford, Shropshire when the cigarette substitute blew up.

An ambulance crew went to Blakemore, Brookside and took the man to hospital.

Malcolm Stevenson of Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "It's very unusual, it may even be unique. There's no report anywhere that we can find of a similar incident."

E-cigarette explodes in man's mouth in Telford

Hi.

Just seen this.
It happend this afternoon and is thought to be the first of its kind.

Looks like all types of smoking is dangerous

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I would guess more people have been hurt driving to the store for e cigarette supplies than have been hurt by the cigarette.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
That definately puts people off wanting to smoke when hearing these stories. Probably for the best.
Hope the guy is ok now.
edit on 20-1-2016 by mmirror because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I read the other day that E-cigs might cause a condition called popcorn lung. Something to do with the additives in the liquid. Flavours and such. Cant find the article.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Ismynameimportant

Sound's like Stogie has a temper, Sam Slade the Robot Hunter never had this problem with his oddly prescient robot cigar side kick, Stogie was a character created for the 2000AD Comic in the 1970's/80's, still Stogie had a Spanish accent in the Comic.
www.trashmutant.com...

Well this guy has ground's to sue for a good payout and the manufacturer (assuming it was not off a market stall and a knock off counterfeit from china) will likely settle out of court.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Quit smoking problem solved.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Sounds like a new ISIS invention...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ban them, you could have someone's eye out. A potential dearth trap

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
I read the other day that E-cigs might cause a condition called popcorn lung. Something to do with the additives in the liquid. Flavours and such. Cant find the article.

dailycaller.com...

Reports of high levels of a potentially deadly chemical in e-cigarettes have been greatly exaggerated and are part of a trend toward the demonization of vaping, according to a leading tobacco control expert.

Diacetyl, a chemical linked to the severe respiratory disease bronchiolitis obliterans, commonly known as “popcorn lung,” was found in 39 of 51 flavored e-liquids examined by researchers at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Media outlets across the world ran with headlines pumping up the risks of e-cigarettes, such as “Vaping Could Give You ‘Popcorn Lung‘” and “E-cigarettes linked to incurable lung disease.”

But according to Dr. Michael Siegel, a Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences at Boston University School of Public Health, the Harvard study has several “glaring omissions,” and the level of diacetyl exposure from vaping compared with smoking differs by “orders of magnitude.”

Siegel, who has spent 25 years in the field of tobacco control, pointed out the study published in the journal “Environmental Health Perspectives” didn’t mention that regular cigarettes contain diacetyl, and in far greater amounts than any e-liquids.

Looking at the numbers, Siegel found “daily exposure to diacetyl from smoking is therefore 750 times higher, on average than exposure to diacetyl from vaping.” Vapers are, on average, exposed to a daily dose of nine micrograms of diacetyl, compared with 6,718 micrograms for smokers.

But the evidence gets worse for sensationalist headline writers and anti-vaping activists. “The ‘worst’ e-cigarette tested produces diacetyl exposure that is 85 times lower than that of the ‘worst’ cigarette tested,” Siegel wrote. The e-cigarette liquid with the highest level of diacetyl in the Harvard study exposed vapers to 239 micrograms against 20,340 micrograms for heavy smokers.

Bronchiolitis obliterans is known as “popcorn lung” because it was identified in workers who inhaled the artificial butter flavor used to make microwavable popcorn. Some cases of popcorn lung have been so damaging that patients have required a lung transplant.

But vapers have little reason to worry about the relatively trivial levels of diacetyl in e-cigarettes compared to tobacco cigarettes.

Not only is the risk of diacetyl exposure far lower for vapers than for smokers, but according to Critical Reviews in Toxicology, “smoking has not been shown to be a risk factor for bronchiolitis (popcorn lung).”

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

The findings, published in Environmental Health Perspectives last week, run counter to beliefs that vaping is "95% less harmful than tobacco," reports IFL Science. Rather, certain compounds found in the chemicals of the some-7,000 vape flavors that exist on the market might actually cause irreversible loss of lung function and eventual transplant.

The term "popcorn lung" comes from a case in the early 2000s, where workers in a microwave popcorn factory were exposed to dust, particles, and not-so-delicious buttery fumes. Many workers developed a respiratory illness that resembled bronchiolitis obliterans, a form of lung disease characterized by fixed airway obstruction.

To investigate flavoring chemicals in e-cigs, a Harvard team led by Joseph Allen analyzed the fumes from 51 types of flavored e-cigs from different leading brands. They discovered at least one of three chemicals–diacetyl, 2,3-pentanedione, and acetoin, which are found in butter flavoring–in 47 of the 51 flavors tested. Yes, even in the aforementioned Alien Blood.

Just look up popcorn lung and vaping disease, lots of results.

Anyone who inhales anything except for clean oxygenated air, for supplemental 'purposes' should surely expect SOME lung damage, no matter how minute. It's just common sense. Since vaping is still a new thing, it will take years to see the effects.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

these e vigs seem to be dangerous... I've read many stories where these have blown up!

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent

For anyone that takes vaping seriously, that article was an absolute joke.

Not that I expect anyone to care, but that article didn't even state what type of "e-cig," was used.

Was it an RDA? Was it regulated or unregulated?

Dual-parallel set-up? Was there temp control, what ohm levels were the coils, and what type of coil was used?

Or, was it an Tec-E-Cig/Blu that can be purchased at rest stops/gas stations?

What kind of juice was used, who makes/produces it, what is the VG/PG content, and was the device used recommended to use a juice within that VG/PG content?

Who knows - they never clarified! Soooo many holes in that study, and then they go on to describe diacetyl compounds. Too bad they didn't bother comparing the diacetyl levels in traditional cigarettes... which produce how much more per/second than an "e-cigarette," again?

I remember when I bought my first vape, literally everyone told me "smoking on that religiously will give you pneumonia/bronchitis," and now it's "popcorn lung."

I've been vaping for over four years, just went on a ten-mile walk yesterday, have yet to develop ANY issues to my health - matter of fact, I can run a mile in order five minutes, couldn't do that while smoking cigarettes. Even in the winter - I don't get nasty coughs - seriously, guys - what am I doing wrong?

More people will die from guns within the time you've read my post than will die from "e-cigarettes," or vaping - but everyone gets all bent out of shape and up in arms, "don't tread on mah rights," while simaltenously turning around and telling (dictating) to consenting adults what they can and cannot do because of "safety hazards."

You know what I absolutely love about vaping? Whenever someone who is severely obese or is almost "prideful," in how lazy-inactive they are - pulls out the moral crusader card to start telling people "that's bad for you!"

I know a guy who charred the entire backside of his left leg, how, you may ask? Because he is an absolute moron.

Let me pose this question for you - if you were to stick a loaded weapon in your waistband, with the safety disengaged, and you were to blow your Johnson clean off, is that the gun manufacturers fault?

Of course not, just like in the case I know - sticking an unregulated device in your back pocket with no safety feature, then proceeding to sit on said unregulated device with no safety feature, is probably not the best idea.

I can't wait to see how this one-case will be blown out of proportion in order to create the false narrative that "vaping is not safe/healthy." LOL - neither are guns, yet it's a generally conceived notion that it's our right.

Leave people that want to vape alone, Goddamn - who am I hurting by sitting in my own home, puffing on Whoop Chicken at 22W with built-in safety features, that was a critical component in me ditching traditional smokes?

I've had two cigarettes since I started vaping, I didn't even get close to finishing either, and I haven't had a feeling/need for nicotine in months.

Is it bad for you? Probably, however, I can run a mile in under five minutes... gets pretty annoying listening to people that haven't ran a mile since elementary-school get up and talk about "healthiness," and insinuate that one cannot be healthy if one vapes.

Where's all the outrage regarding Cowboys and Phillip Morris' advertising? GE/GMO food? Prescription narcotics overtaking heroin/coc aine overdoses combined? But vaping - oh man, that stuff is no good.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

The findings, published in Environmental Health Perspectives last week, run counter to beliefs that vaping is "95% less harmful than tobacco," reports IFL Science. Rather, certain compounds found in the chemicals of the some-7,000 vape flavors that exist on the market might actually cause irreversible loss of lung function and eventual transplant.

The term "popcorn lung" comes from a case in the early 2000s, where workers in a microwave popcorn factory were exposed to dust, particles, and not-so-delicious buttery fumes. Many workers developed a respiratory illness that resembled bronchiolitis obliterans, a form of lung disease characterized by fixed airway obstruction.

To investigate flavoring chemicals in e-cigs, a Harvard team led by Joseph Allen analyzed the fumes from 51 types of flavored e-cigs from different leading brands. They discovered at least one of three chemicals–diacetyl, 2,3-pentanedione, and acetoin, which are found in butter flavoring–in 47 of the 51 flavors tested. Yes, even in the aforementioned Alien Blood.

Just look up popcorn lung and vaping disease, lots of results.

Anyone who inhales anything except for clean oxygenated air, for supplemental 'purposes' should surely expect SOME lung damage, no matter how minute. It's just common sense. Since vaping is still a new thing, it will take years to see the effects.

Alcohol isn't meant to be consumed by the human body, nor is milk.

We need to ban these things! It's for the sake of our children!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'd be interested in just a small handful of these many stories you read.

Any rechargable battery is dangerous. Your phone, your fitbit, your ipod/ipad/laptop, your bluetooth....they all use the same battery technology.

No doubt a damaged battery can be more dangerous than one that is not....but the risk would be the same: rechargable batteries have an inherent volatility. And we still stick them in our ears.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

these e vigs seem to be dangerous... I've read many stories where these have blown up!

Um, don't vape then.

I've ready many stories of people owning snakes who have turned and bitten their owners leaving them ill.

We need to get on banning people from owning snakes!

I've also read stories of people being crushed and killed after "rocking," soda/candy machines.

You'd better believe we need to ban them!

I've read stories about children finding/gaining access to their parents firearms, and killing themselves/siblings/parents.

We need to ban guns to stop this from happening!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This has been happening a lot lately!

Inside Edition E-Cigs Explode

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'd be interested in just a small handful of these many stories you read.

Any rechargable battery is dangerous. Your phone, your fitbit, your ipod/ipad/laptop, your bluetooth....they all use the same battery technology.

No doubt a damaged battery can be more dangerous than one that is not....but the risk would be the same: rechargable batteries have an inherent volatility. And we still stick them in our ears.

As anyone that had a modicum of respect and responsibility for their own-personal health would surely know, especially in the vaping community - damaged/dinked batteries are a no-no.

Anytime I notice a battery beginning to lose its charge, beginning to peel back - I no longer use it.

Again - I've vaped for roughly four years, and have yet to develop any sort of lung disease/complications, and I go for scheduled runs every week.

And as for nothing but clean air is meant to go through our lungs, well - we need to ban cars, too!

There are studies I've read about the emission levels and potential harm, as well as potential health risks from staying inside too long with air conditioning on.

We need to ban ALL of these things, life just isn't safe anymore! We need to ban life, man!

I swear - that's how some of these comments read. Leave consenting adults alone, no one complains whenever someone eats themselves into cardiac arrest by age 30, it's the mindset of dictation that makes me want to vape... I swear.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

My issues with that:

- Inside Edition makes crap up as a general rule
- It took so long for the page to load because of all the associated clickbait that I didn't read any of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I puff a little tobacco here and there. A pack of smokes lasts me 4 or 5 days. I can jog a couple miles with no problem. Vaping just seems a little gay to me. No half measures.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And yet even if one blew up every day of the year.

They would still be safer than tobacco or alcohol

I use to vape heavily. I smoked heavily before that

It helped me get off smokes all together

Love love
Aliensupernova

edit on 20-1-2016 by AlienSupernova because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join