It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like there might be newly discovered planet in our solar system

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I vote to call it Nibiru. Planet X would also be fine. Why not make all the conspiracy theorists happy.

I remember someone here telling me there could not be another planet in our solar system, that we would know it existed because of all of our technology. Well, someone found it.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: EeeVee

originally posted by: imitator
In my book the ninth planet from the Sun is Pluto, and it will always be....

so that makes this one planet X?

If Pluto were the ninth planet, then this would be the tenth planet. However, the "X" in the common usage for term Planet X is the letter X, not the roman numeral X -- with the X standing for "unknown", not "ten"

edit on 1/21/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Call me crazy but I once had a dream about different planet "the unknown one" orbit the sun, causing massive earthquake throughout on the earth.

This is very strange and exciting discover though! I look forward for more information about this new planet in near future :-)
edit on 21-1-2016 by whiteblack because: Autocorrected

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Yes...I know what you're all thinking...We call it planet 'TRUMP'...Am I right?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack
Call me crazy but I once had a dream about different planet "the unknown one" orbit the sun, causing massive earthquake throughout on the earth.

This is very strange and exciting discover though! I look forward for more information about this new planet in near future :-)

That's been a popular subject of science fiction before, so it isn't that odd that you had a dream about it.

For example, the 1933 novel When Worlds Collide (and subsequent movie) told about the gravitational damage done to the Earth by a rogue planet passing close to it. In that story, aside from the damage due to effects of gravity, the rogue planet also eventually collides with Earth.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: whiteblack

That's been a popular subject of science fiction before, so it isn't that odd that you had a dream about it.

For example, the 1933 novel When Worlds Collide (and subsequent movie) told about the gravitational damage done to the Earth by a rogue planet passing close to it. In that story, aside from the damage due to effects of gravity, the rogue planet also eventually collides with Earth.

I recently watched the film When planets collide. Must admit, the book was a lot better.

But with science fiction like that (and other films/books) you can understand why some people think there's an "Earth destroyer".

This hypothesised planet is too far away to be seen and too far to have any effect on the planet Earth.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they theorised there could be as many as 10 full sized planets out past the Oort Cloud.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
This hypothesised planet is too far away to be seen and too far to have any effect on the planet Earth.

And it may have been there for a long time -- maybe since the birth of the solar system.

If it's been out there doing it's thing for perhaps 4.5 billion years, there is no reason to suspect that it will suddenly wreak havoc upon the Earth just because we think that we may have discovered its existence.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: TerryDon79

And it may have been there for a long time -- maybe since the birth of the solar system.

If it's been out there doing it's thing for perhaps 4.5 billion years, there is no reason to suspect that it will suddenly wreak havoc upon the Earth just because we think that we may have discovered its existence.

I completely agree.

To me, it's like hypothesising there's a new fault line and saying that it's going to split the world in two. Even though it's just a hypothesis and not actually been found yet.

Are there planets beyond our view? Of course. I think it would be ignorant to say there wasn't.

Are any of the "coming to get us"? I couldn't definitively say no as we just can't be that sure. Something I can be sure of is that there's nothing close enough, at the moment or foreseeable future, that suggests we are going to get destroyed this year or for many years to come.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It has not been observed, only inferred from what i gather is simply that all of the larger Oort cloud objects discovered appear to have orbital paths in the same region... which could imply the presence of a larger mass object on the opposite side.

COULD being the important word to remember... COULD

Interesting proposition, could very well be our very own captured rogue planet IF it exists.

Still, guess we now have a general location to search in, which is better than nothing.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErosA433
Interesting proposition, could very well be our very own captured rogue planet IF it exists.

I mentioned above that it may have been out there since the birth of the solar system, but I suppose it could be a captured rogue planet captured later on after the birth of the solar system, too.

However, considering that its existence is being inferred by studying the orbital paths of other trans-neptunian objects, I think that means it has probably been part of our solar system long enough to have had an effect (one that is noticeable by us) on the orbits of those trans-neptunian objects.

So I think chances are good that this possible planet has been orbiting out there for a long long time.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: blujack21

Playing devil's advocate here. A actual planet beyond Neptune has been speculated for years.

All I am saying is that if New Horizons will be used at what point to you go oh well that was a lucky coincidence?

Now back to my rational scientific mind I wonder if they will use it to notice any gravity fluctuations and I also wonder if this could lead back to the Pioneer Anomaly

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

It has not been observed, only inferred from what i gather is simply that all of the larger Oort cloud objects discovered appear to have orbital paths in the same region... which could imply the presence of a larger mass object on the opposite side.

COULD being the important word to remember... COULD

Still, guess we now have a general location to search in, which is better than nothing.

Exactly...nothing has been observed and it's purely speculation right now but they have very strong evidence of it's existence. I'm telling ya, we are going to find more of these out there. Very exciting times, wish I could look into the future about 20-30 years.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage
a reply to: blujack21

Playing devil's advocate here. A actual planet beyond Neptune has been speculated for years.

All I am saying is that if New Horizons will be used at what point to you go oh well that was a lucky coincidence?

Now back to my rational scientific mind I wonder if they will use it to notice any gravity fluctuations and I also wonder if this could lead back to the Pioneer Anomaly

New Horizons doesn't have the equipment needed to find such a planet from the distance away it is, even if it was heading in the direction of that planet (it may be headed totally away from that planet).

Don't forget, New Horizons is currently more than 10 times closer to EARTH than it is to the hypothetical orbit of this possible planet (New Horizons is currently about 35 AU from Earth, but at least 550 AU from this planet's hypothetical orbit). It would take 100+ years for New Horizons to get anywhere near this planet -- and that's if New Horizons was actually going in the direction toward it, which it may not be.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Well would be quite interesting in terms of planetary formation models. into which it wouldn't fit so well.. which would probably put it as a rogue or previously undiscovered cool dwarf, maybe Y class or something of that order... this said, i think the number would make it look like it is something much too small for that. It could fit into current models quite perfectly if it formed with the sun, but the local material density was too low and such our Sun formed and quickly accreted material away from this other object, effectively stunting growth. This object would then only have secondary influence on the young solarsystem in terms of driving comets etc out of the outer edges of the solar system...

Important to keep an open mind this is true.

Also important to point out that conspiracy theorists who often shout, "There is a planet out there and its being covered up or not searched for" are quite clearly wrong, given that it is a hotly searched for object

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433
The early Solar System was a rather chaotic place. It's entirely feasible that a planet which formed deeper in the Solar System was sent to a more distant orbit due to the gravitational influences of the giants.

Jupiter didn't want competition and kicked his brother out.

edit on 1/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

Over the coarse of 2015 object/s have increased in size and clarity immensely! Objects are now gradually moving away from the Sun and a mass sighting is not far off imo. Make your plans!

I can back you up on that with this.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Absolutely, i think the neat concept of how the solar system formed is in reality rather more chaotic than people believe. Quite nice though, with the freezeout line etc predicting where you expect small rocky stuff and big gassy stuff...

Still... more data we have the better

Quite like the idea actually of a seeded system, you have the sun forming and a local density on the edge causes a cascade like drive of planetary formation on the inside... OR as you say Phage maybe a twin Jupiter that was hurled out. I wonder how the simulations work for these

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Phil Plait's take on things: www.slate.com...

As usual, I'm siding with him. Lots of interesting detail there too.

P.S. mods, could you _please_ move this thread to the Space Exploration forum?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

...Also important to point out that conspiracy theorists who often shout, "There is a planet out there and its being covered up or not searched for" are quite clearly wrong, given that it is a hotly searched for object

Not only that, but I find it funny when people think that an object that has been quietly orbiting out there for 100s of millions years -- if not a few billion years -- and just "doing its thing" will suddenly turn on us and cause cataclysms just because we may have happened to discover it, as if the act of discovering it suddenly made the planet's orbit change somehow.

Then again, I suppose if there are intelligent aliens who live there, and they are secretly monitoring Earth, they might now want to destroy us because we just learned of their planet's existence...but let's save that fiction for another thread, please

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

Will you quit with your Nibiru bunk?

I have asked questions on your own thread that you have failed to answer over and over again.

Here's some interesting facts about your false planet.

It was "discovered" by a fraud in 1995 who said the 1997 Hale-Bopp comet didn't exist and was a coverup for your strange planet.

The world was supposed to halt and a poleshift was supposed to happen in May 2003. She went on the radio and told people to KILL THEIR PETS and then lied and said it was because her dog was aggressive. It didn't happen. Just a normal year when it came to astronomical bodies.

Then there was the whole 2012 rubbish and she even tried saying Obama was trying to release full disclosure. Guess what? Never happened.

After that she tried saying that in October 2014 all the world leaders had intended an announcement about it. That never happened either because of the consternation of the establishment. SERIOUSLY?!

And now you have pictures of clouds, sun dogs, lense flares and smudge marks saying it's going to do something this year?

I'll call you out for what you are. You are a liar, a charlatan, a fraud, a deluded individual and someone who promotes fear to get a reaction.

If this planet did exist then astronomers would see it. I have quite a nice telescope hooked up to a 50" HD LCD TV. I've looked at where this thing is supposed to be. I've used all sorts of filters.Guess what?

THERES NOTHING THERE!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join