It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like there might be newly discovered planet in our solar system

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
On a more serious note, Zacharia Sitchin, might be right about everything..

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Marid Audran
I wonder why it took so long to find planet nine.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
If indeed this is the case, how come the trajectory of the New Horizons probe that did a fly-by of Pluto last year was not effected by this mysterious planet 9 and it's gravitational field? I am certainly no expert in such matters but I would have thought that such corrections would need to be accounted for so that the probe actually arrived where intended? (which it did).

Still, like Carl Sagan said, "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known".

Aside from the answer 'TerryDon79' gave, it may also be possible that (if this planet exists) it is on the opposite side of the Sun from Pluto and New Horizons.

Plus, as TerryDon pointed out, this new planet may be 600 AU (astronomical units) away from the Sun. Pluto, at it's further point, is about 50 AU from Earth, meaning that while New Horizons may only be 50 AU from Earth right now, it could be about 550 AU away from this potential planet. This potential planet could be more than 10 times farther from Pluto as Pluto is from Earth.

So Jupiter or Saturn, for example, would be perturbing the New Horizon spacecraft right now more than this planet, because Jupiter and Saturn are closer to New Horizons than this planet potentially is. Heck, New Horizons is closer to Earth right now than it is to this potential planet.

...And all of that is ignoring the possibility I brought up above that this planet might be on the opposite side of the Sun from Pluto and New Horizons right now, which means the new Horizons spacecraft could be over 1000 AU away from the planet.

edit on 1/20/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
On a more serious note, Zacharia Sitchin, might be right about everything..

Not really. It's may be nothing like Nibiru.

If it exists, it could have been orbiting far outside the orbit of Pluto for the past 4.5 Billion years with us totally unaware of it. In fact, it may be so far away and may have been doing its own thing for so long that it may have no noticeable effect on us.

Granted, if its been there since the beginning of our solar system, it's presence probably had at least a small part in the solar system's "clockwork" being what it is, but that clockwork would have long settled into the virtually unchanging orbits that we see today.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I remember back in 1983, they came out and said they had found what would have been at the time a 10th planet.

A heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth that it would be part of this solar system has been found in the direction of the constellation Orion by an orbiting telescope aboard the U.S. infrared astronomical satellite.

www.nytimes.com...

SOMETHING out there beyond the farthest reaches of the known solar system seems to be tugging at Uranus and Neptune. Some gravitational force keeps perturbing the two giant planets, causing irregularities in their orbits. The force suggests a presence far away and unseen, a large object that may be the long-sought Planet X.

www.washingtonpost.com...

You can also consider the Pioneer anomaly.
The Pioneer anomaly or Pioneer effect was the observed deviation from predicted accelerations of the Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 spacecraft after they passed about 20 astronomical units (3×109 km; 2×109 mi) on their trajectories out of the Solar System. The apparent anomaly was a matter of tremendous interest for many years, but has been subsequently explained by an anisotropic radiation pressure caused by the spacecraft's heat loss.

en.wikipedia.org...

I couldn''t find anything on this new 10th planet again until 1987. Where a guy there pretty much predicted what these guys say they found.

The ''best explanation,'' Dr. Anderson said, is that the object is in an orbit tilted at a right angle to the orbits of the rest of the planets. It was thus crossing the plane of the other planets in the last century and now is far from the plane on its elongated orbit.
www.nytimes.com...

Then in 1993, they came out and said after more research nothing was there.

The apparent death blow to the Planet X theory was published in the May issue of The Astronomical Journal by Dr. E. Myles Standish Jr., an astrophysicist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. His analysis, which includes significant corrections of the expected orbits of Uranus and Neptune, is the first to make use of an extremely accurate measurement of Neptune's mass made by Voyager 2 in 1989.
His recalculation of the motions and masses of the outer planets shows that they are moving just as one would expect if there were no planet beyond them exerting a gravitational tug on their orbits.

www.nytimes.com...

Then we have these guys from December of last year, who claim that two groups making observations found 2 objects. Mike Brown, one of the two guys that say they've just found this new planet laughed at these claims.

Mike Brown, a prominent California Institute of Technology astronomer and self-described “Pluto killer” who discovered several large TNOs that dethroned the former planet, unleashed another statistical argument against the claimed new planets on Twitter. “If it is true that ALMA accidentally discovered a massive outer solar system object in its tiny, tiny, tiny, field of view,” Brown tweeted, “that would suggest that there are something like 200,000 Earth-sized planets in the outer solar system. Which, um, no.”
www.scientificamerican.com...

They've known for a very long time...
edit on 20-1-2016 by AshHousewares because: Correcting grammar

edit on 20-1-2016 by AshHousewares because: grammar

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
Fantastic new evidence.

Perhaps someone can explain to me, though, why is this object so difficult to actually spot? If it's such a large body, why aren't we able to see it at all?

Because it is so freaking far out there (if it indeed exists at all) it may not be visible yet. Pluto takes 248 years to complete one full orbit around the Sun. Since it was not discovered until 1930 that means it has completed about a third of a Pluto year since its discovery. Imagine a planet that orbits the Sun every 15000 years. We may never actually see it from a ground based telescope.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I wonder if New Horizons will be able to provide any insight.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Closest distance is 200AU
www.sciencemag.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyonedies
Closest distance is 200AU
www.sciencemag.org...

Well that link explains everything...Two scientist formed a hypothesis that a ninth planet should exist because of the strange elliptical orbits of the outer planets. They say there must of been a planet, calculated to be 10 times the size of Earth to "shepherd" the other outer planets into their orbits, then that ninth planet got shot out far into space.

In other words the scientist calculated the ninth planet's existence from studying the outer planets orbits. This is why they have these specific numbers of size, makeup, distance, and orbit. In conclusion they haven't discovered it yet, but they say there will be evidence of it's existence on the search to actually discover it.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AshHousewares

Nice recap

Of course they've known

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AshHousewares

They've known for a very long time...

Been guessing about it, anyway. Haven't gotten it right since Pluto was found, though. Maybe this time will be different.

BTW, that 1983 thing. It wasn't a planet.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage
Any bets on the secondary or tertiary mission of New Horizons spotting this "Planet X"

I am calling it just to say so...

And if they do I would have some serious doubts that they didn't already know and that is actually the intended mission.

Probably not. Its in an area too big to pinpoint really. Plus its really very far out and way beyond Pluto. Having people here on earth turn their telescopes to the sky would get better results.
edit on 21-1-2016 by blujack21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Amazing how 'scientists' are making these discoveries when normal folk with common sense knew all along..

I'm sure there are multiple objects on the fringes of the Solar System residing with Nemesis.

The Op article is clearly yet another attempt at pre announcement media coverage preparing the masses for the disclosure of Planet X-there have been many the past few months.

Some of us have tried in vain and gone through extreme measures just to prove that Planet X is real, as I have done in this thread below which has ongoing analysis. Objects were visible at sunset yesterday once again showing further development.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Over the coarse of 2015 object/s have increased in size and clarity immensely! Objects are now gradually moving away from the Sun and a mass sighting is not far off imo. Make your plans!

Stay well ATS!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: EndOfDays77
Amazing how 'scientists' are making these discoveries when normal folk with common sense knew all along..

There's no way "normal" folk could know about this, that planet (if it exists) is just to far to see. Even the astronomers haven't seen it yet, they are just guessing that it might exist.

The Op article is clearly yet another attempt at pre announcement media coverage preparing the masses for the disclosure of Planet X-there have been many the past few months.

Why would the astronomers keep Planet X secret? And how would it be even possible, when some other team of astroromers might come across the same discovery?

Some of us have tried in vain and gone through extreme measures just to prove that Planet X is real, as I have done in this thread below which has ongoing analysis. Objects were visible at sunset yesterday once again showing further development.

What you're doing has nothing to do with astronomy, and is just watching clouds, reflections, and lens flares. If there were an unknown space object so clearly seen with the naked eye, the astronomy community would be buzzing with the news. Amateur astronomers discover new comets and asteroids all the time (some of which are fainter than Pluto when first discovered), and you're telling me they are blind to something you can see with the naked eye and film with a phone camera?..

Sorry, but your post makes it look like you are just content with unloading your cargo of conspiracy and paranoia on any thread like this and moving along.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

The below graphic shows Voyager 1's present position (dot) in relation to this hypothesised object.

i.imgur.com...

I'm betting we dont get mass sightings anytime soon.

edit on 21-1-2016 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Hmmm...Made of Ice...9th Planet.

We could call it "Ice Nine"

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
In my book the ninth planet from the Sun is Pluto, and it will always be....

so that makes this one planet X?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: THEatsking

There is no 'period' about it. Nothing in science is or should be set in stone. From Pluto's discovery in 1930 until 2006 when the definition was changed Pluto was indeed a planet.

Technically, there was never a scientific definition of the term Planet before 2006.
Source: url=http://missionscience.nasa.gov/nasascience/what_is_a_planet.html]What is the definition of a planet?[/url]

The science is NOT settled:

Part 3 – The Ongoing Debate

And third, it must have cleared other objects out of the way in its orbital neighborhood. To clear an orbit, a planet must be big enough to pull neighboring objects into the planet itself or sling-shot them around the planet and shoot them off into outer space. According to the IAU, Pluto does not meet this third requirement but is now in a new class of objects called "dwarf planets." It is this third part of the definition that has sparked debate.
Source as above.

A dwarf planet is still a planet just as a dwarf human is still a human or a pygmy goat is still a goat. Dwarf it may be but planet it still is in my book.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
a reply to: EndOfDays77

The below graphic shows Voyager 1's present position (dot) in relation to this hypothesised object.

i.imgur.com...

I'm betting we dont get mass sightings anytime soon.

Plus (I think) that's just the distance between Voyager 1 and this hypothetical planet's orbit -- not the distance to the planet itself.

We don't know yet where along that orbit that the planet currently is. The planet could be on the opposite side of the Sun from Voyager 1 right now.

edit on 1/21/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join