It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan getting even closer to buying US Harriers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Who said impossible? I said harder. But then this is China. They can do anything.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Who said impossible? I said harder. But then this is China. They can do anything.

That was a Quote. Preparing for war, especially right off the coast of other superpowers, who does that?

War mongers do that.

Edit: You can play all day that China is the threat, the nation most threatening to world peace right now is the US. If China put their jets in underground bunkers on Islands off the US coast, that would be them instigating…

but they ain't. Its the US influencing little countries around the Asian land mass to accept US military hardware, posturing against China. Making them targets in any 'open exchange'.

Convenient, that.
edit on 21-1-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If I may, China is working its way to superpower status and has attained it as far as the economy goes, but its military has a long ways to go. When the Chinese citizens were killed, there was bupkiss the PRC could do.

That said, I would NOT want to be the Taiwanese if the Chinese decided to just invade. It'll be a bloody fight, to be sure, but I thin the Chinese will prevail in the end.

OTOH, the Harrier would be a good idea. However, it needs some radar, etc. upgrades if they did buy it.

If I were the Taiwanese, I'd also be looking at other approaches, too: swarming UAVs, etc.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

That said, I would NOT want to be the Taiwanese if the Chinese decided to just invade. It'll be a bloody fight, to be sure, but I thin the Chinese will prevail in the end.

Is China threatening to invade Taiwan?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Ummm…, Only since the 1950's.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Taiwan's relationship to China is almost the defining element of its politics.

An invasion by China is the threat Taiwan is preparing for. It isn't worried about Japan. or the Philippines.

For that matter, if Taiwan ever declared independence, China has made it clear, they will invade.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
I don't think those harriers will last long against newer Chinese aircraft.

Kind of like when the Argentinian mach 2 air superiority Mirage III's trounced the Royal Navy's Sea Harriers during the Falklands war?

Oh wait..

Sorry, couldn't resist

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Zaphod58

That was a Quote. Preparing for war, especially right off the coast of other superpowers, who does that?

War mongers do that.

Edit: You can play all day that China is the threat, the nation most threatening to world peace right now is the US. If China put their jets in underground bunkers on Islands off the US coast, that would be them instigating…

but they ain't. Its the US influencing little countries around the Asian land mass to accept US military hardware, posturing against China. Making them targets in any 'open exchange'.

Convenient, that.

You got that backwards it is the all the other nations in Asian asking the US for weapons to buy and offering bases because of China's actions in the South China Sea and it poor diplomatic skills when dealing with smaller nations. China in fact depends on the US to keep all these nations feeling safe so they do not start buying masses of arms from anybody that will sell them. China has made it clear on many occasions if Taiwan declares independence it will be war. Without the US you would see a massive militarization of Japan who would then sell advance arms to Vietnam, Taiwan, Philippines and Myanmar. And you would see India and South Korea also start pouring arms and advisers into those states. Japan and Taiwan would both go nuclear. And the entire area would become one big tinder box waiting for a match. You know what you never hear? China suggesting the US should pull out of the Pacific. They would much rather deal with the US than a bunch of heavily armed states in the region.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Ummm…, Only since the 1950's.

Threatening to invade and actually invading are two completely different things.

I get the need to keep the fear alive to justify more armaments though.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Here we go again.

The US military actually occupies Taiwan…

simple search

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

You got that backwards it is the all the other nations in Asian asking the US for weapons to buy and offering bases because of China's actions in the South China Sea and it poor diplomatic skills when dealing with smaller nations.

Empires always say they were invited.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Vietnam of all countries, VIETNAM, is asking for US assistance, As far as you're concerned the US is the big bad guy there, However, As far as many Asian countries *in Asia are concerned, they know whats what and who to keep and eye on.

Appreciate you posting your opinion though, I'll stick with those Asian countries [In Asia] who know China going back thousands of years.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Really? When was the last time you were there? I can tell you for a FACT. There are no current US forces in any significant number on that island.

No. the US does NOT occupy Taiwan and haven't since 1979. What year do you think this is?

Oh and did you even bother to look at your "simple search"?

The Command held its final flag retreat ceremony during the afternoon of 26 April 1979. Rear Admiral James P. Linder was the last military officer to depart Taiwan on 28 April 1979.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Threatening to invade and actually invading are two completely different things.

Yes but that's not what you asked was it?

"Is China threatening to invade Taiwan?"

If the threat is there, it would be foolish to ignore that threat wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Asia's experiance with China goes back, as you say, thousands of years.

Vietnam has had wars and border clashes with China for centuries.

Japan and China? Well, they just plain don't like each other. Never have, and odds are, never will, at least no time soon.

China and Korea? Vietnam, just further north.

India? Myanmar? Thailand? Gee, all have had issues with China. Not over decades, but centuries. ...and lest we forget, who occupied Tibet, again...? Oh, yeah, China.

Asia has more than sufficient reason to be wary, even frightened, of China.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Interestingly, now that Japan can sell equipment they've donated aircraft and more to the Philippines, and sent people to visit both the Philippines and Vietnam. China is doing more to push nations closer than anything else has.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Yeah, but as much as both nations have hated Japan in the past, that's saying a lot.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Not sure who Vietnam hates more...Japan, with reason. Or China, also with reason. But they share a border with China, and have no desire to become a part of China. They've fought bloody wars over this in the past and will again if pushed to it.

It's very much an "enemy of my enemy is, for the moment, my friend."

There's no reason to suspect that Japan is going to go back to it's scary early twentieth century phase...hope not, anyway. China, however, is a whole 'nother cup of green tea.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

China has more recently shot at Vietnam. Both are almost begging anyone who will listen to help them modernize.
edit on 1/21/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join