It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did humans start to kiss?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Kissing is not important when it comes to procreation.
So did early humans kiss?
And if they did, when did humans start to french kiss, tongue inserted beyond lips?

Neanderthal kissing? There is no answer since all we have is bones of their bodies.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It's extremely important and loving, and they've been kissing for all infinity in infinite worlds/universes. And will be for all infinity.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Are you sure, or are you guessing.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Not all cultures indulge in the act of kissing. And humans aren't alone in this behavior -- Other species are known to kiss. Likely, it was derived from a method by which mothers would feed their children chewed up food directly from their own mouths. Isn't that romantic?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Kissing is a huge part of the process of human procreation. Who willfully copulates with someone without kissing? I'm sure it happens, but probably most often in rape cases. Kissing is a good thing for lovers, regardless of the scientific basis.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Kissing is a huge part of the process of human procreation. Who willfully copulates with someone without kissing? I'm sure it happens, but probably most often in rape cases. Kissing is a good thing for lovers, regardless of the scientific basis.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This video answers your question of when, nicely.

Animals "kiss" as well.

But apparently human lips are unique. Which makes sense--since we aren't beings that are totally driven by instinct (we have reason)--it seems reasonable to deduce that our feelings of love and connection are deeper than those feelings in animals. Base instinct is valuable and deep in its own fashion, but I believe that the human psyche is different than any other creature. The video is biased--I for one do not believe that we evolved from apes. The fossil record doesn't support that theory. And if Herbert Spencer evolution (which is the whole archaebacteria fish monkey person b.s. ie. a bastardized version of Darwin's theory of evolution, which was legit) is true, then why aren't we witnessing creatures mid-evolution? We definitely should be. En masse, in fact. Just think about it. I think that every creature is unique. Things adapt. Survival of the fittest exists, too, in all life on Earth. Darwin was a great man. It's too bad that Spencer effed everything up. Anyway. I don't think that anyone really knows all of the reasons why humans kiss one another in the unique way that we do.

Kissing really is weird.
edit on 20-1-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MaryaNoxx

That's it in a nutshell.

Sex is food, breasts and lips.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Think of licking as a form of kissing and you'll find a majority of mammals partake in such gentle indications of tender care.
To sweetly taste another when you mutually care about each other is the ultimate bonding form of acceptance and comfort.
While outright smooching/etc. might be something we've learned from the movies/whatnot, kissing has an instinctual tone to it that feels natural with the right person.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Interesting question. As MaryaNoxx posted above, this article suggests mothers chewing food for their young. The article also says that when people kiss "our pheromones 'talk' ''.
scienceline.org...
This article, below suggests that kissing was invented by Indians and moved out into the world from there. They traced the first recorded kiss as in 1500 BC.
memoryanddesire.blogspot.com...
I think kissing started out as a comforting mechanism and turned into an affectionate act between lovers.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
It is also associated with the "missionary position", which is again very human- not even possible for most animals.
All this would be very effective in cementing long-term monogamy, and anthropologists now think that long-term monogamy was an important factor in human evolution.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Rukia that video was a great explanation thanks for posting it!

a reply to: peppycat

I believe that they said the Indians were the first people to record its importance of kissing, and not necessarily invented it right??

In any case, I actually enjoy kissing more than sex sometimes, and find it much more intimate. Great kissing, also leads to a better session of love for both parties IMO. Yup, im one of them weird men that loves to make out even if I don't get laid.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist Yeah, they said the first ''recorded'' kiss was in India. Someone commented to the article that the Hebrews were more likely to have known about the first kissing because it is mentioned in The Song of Solomon.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
humans were taught to kiss by the squirrils

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
And if Herbert Spencer evolution (which is the whole archaebacteria fish monkey person b.s. ie. a bastardized version of Darwin's theory of evolution, which was legit) is true, then why aren't we witnessing creatures mid-evolution? We definitely should be. En masse, in fact. Just think about it. I think that every creature is unique. Things adapt. Survival of the fittest exists, too, in all life on Earth.

What makes you think that we are not witnessing creatures mid-evolution?

Are not virtually all creatures mid-evolution?

(The below is somewhat lightheartedly written)

Social welfare killed natural selection (at least in most of the west) but some selection must remain. I would postulate that humans too are creatures mid-evolution - and kissing may be central to that.

As stated above, I believe that modern society has eliminated the historically important factors such as brain and brawn as selection factors. You do not need to be smart or strong to survive for long enough to successfully procreate. Everyone survives long enough - you just need to find a mate. "Softer" factors are in play here - factors such as kissing skills.

Kissing is closely linked to love and to sex, and it is thus reasonable to assume that a great kisser has greater chance of procreation than a not-great kisser.

If you assume that kissing skills are at least partly genetically determined (and it likely is - genetics partly decide whether or not you can roll your tongue) then it is reasonable to assume that humans are indeed evolving ..into the species of greatest kissers to ever roam the Earth.

Seriously though, I do not see why there is reason to believe that the animals of the world are done evolving.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

An interesting question.

Was it before or after the development of the bone club chat up line? I would assume after, since a smooch seems a more nuanced approach than a blunt force trauma to the skull.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

We're sensual creatures, asking why we kiss is like asking why we caress, stroke and hold one another...we do it because it stimulates us in a rewarding way. Our errogenous zones, in general, correspond to our areas of greatest vulnerability, because they need, for our survival, to be sensitive and packed more densely with nerve-endings. Our inner thighs hold our femural artery, our ankles and the back of our knees the tendons that keep us mobile.

The mouth, is jam packed with sensory receptors, and we have a highly muscular tongue and powerful sucking mechanism...the trigeminal nerve seems key to why kissing as part of sexual bonding behaviour, or foreplay, has even greater arousal potential...

The sensory function of the trigeminal nerve is to provide tactile, proprioceptive, and nociceptive afference to the face and mouth. Its motor function activates the muscles of mastication, the tensor tympani, tensor veli palatini, mylohyoid and the anterior belly of the digastric.

The trigeminal nerve carries general somatic afferent fibers (GSA), which innervate the skin of the face via ophthalmic (V1), maxillary (V2) and mandibular (V3) divisions. The trigeminal nerve also carries special visceral efferent (SVE) axons, which innervate the muscles of mastication via the mandibular (V3) division.

en.wikipedia.org...

I suspect, that the combination of activity, stimulus and signal distribution/circulation, aids in lowering neo-cortical activity, which it seems, is particularly beneficial to the ladies.

The when would be when we realised we could, but we consume food by sucking, licking and biting, and animals, higher mammals particularly, similarly use their mouths socially, so it isn't much of a leap to bring that into courtship behaviours.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Prostitutes.

Ba-dum-tsh!!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels

originally posted by: skunkape23

Prostitutes.

Ba-dum-tsh!!

The world isn't as cut and dried as a Julia Robert's film, and even so, many prostitutes, most I expect, use their mouths to sexually gratify in other ways, which is still an extension of the same premise, pleasure via the mouth. And, I think it largely depends on who the prostitutes are serving. If the client is female, whether the prostitute is male or female, it is likely that kissing will be expected/required.

edit on 20-1-2016 by Anaana because: rogue d

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The answer to your question:

www.todayifoundout.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join