It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US troops facing deadlier bombs in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
'Fewer, bigger bombs'
More powerful bombs are being used to target US soldiers in Iraq, a senior Pentagon military official has said.

Army Brigadier General David Rodriguez on Friday said the trend of using more powerful improvised explosive devices (IEDs) has become prominent over the past two weeks.

"We have noticed in the recent couple of weeks that the IEDs are all being built more powerfully, with more explosive effort in a smaller number of IEDs," Rodriguez told reporters at a Pentagon briefing.

"There are a lower number of IEDs, but they have been more powerful," Rodriguez said.

"The way we're going to overcome that is a multi-pronged effort on tactics, techniques, procedures, intelligence, and a wide range of things to prevent that from hurting soldiers," he said.

The seven soldiers killed on Friday were travelling in a Bradley armoured fighting vehicle.

The Bradley is the most heavily-protected US vehicle after the Abrams tank.

sources:
english.aljzaeera.net
bbc.co.uk
www.iraq-war.ru

[edit on 8-1-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
To me, this is most likely with active cooperation with Iranian intelligence.

These "explosive devices" are no longer "improvised" if they can reliably, with a small
explosive load, blow through a Bradley. They are engineered, likely by military grade ordnance developers.

This probably means made in Iran, China or Russia.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   

What does anyone else think about this comment? I suspect that its wrong, and that there are tanks out there that are better armoured than the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   

"We have noticed in the recent couple of weeks that the IEDs are all being built more powerfully, with more explosive effort in a smaller number of IEDs," Rodriguez told reporters at a Pentagon briefing.

"There are a lower number of IEDs, but they have been more powerful," Rodriguez said.

Still more proof that the "insurgency" is not entirely made up of pissed-off Iraqi citizens angry at the "occupation".

One wonders why the Iranians and Syrians are permitted to play such a major role in Iraq's future.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Still more proof that the "insurgency" is not entirely made up of pissed-off Iraqi citizens angry at the "occupation".

actually you can just teach them to make more powerfull bombs, and since there is PLENTY of ammunitions left, i belive there are alot of new ways to create more powerfull bombs.
and yes, ofcourse there are others "helping" the iraqi resistance, just like there are lots of friends of us forces, "helping" them clean up the resistance (british, polish, australian etc..), why shouldnt syrians and iranians go and help their neighbours? after all, if iraq falls, they are possibly next in line.
i rather fight before my own door, than iside my house,
dont you?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

What does anyone else think about this comment? I suspect that its wrong, and that there are tanks out there that are better armoured than the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

i belive the bulk of american army is represented by abrams MBT and bradley IFV. and the marines have an amphibous troop transport, that i dont know the name of, but i dont think its as heavily armored as the bradley.

if i am wrong, please corret me.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The resistance has been laying IED traps against U.S forces for a couple of years now, of course they would eventually perfect ways to create the maximum damage using as little explosives as possible.

Its a matter learning from mistakes.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I've noticed the bombs are certainly getting bigger.
I've been surprised at the size of the explosions in some of the videos.

They're using all of those unsecured munitions.

2005-01-03 Insurgents bomb US convoy smoke'em.out (AlJazeera).wmv

The explosion in the link below is really huge.
2004-12-29 AL Tawhd Carbombs US HeadQuaters In Mosul Iraq amalyah.wmv.zip

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn
The resistance has been laying IED traps against U.S forces for a couple of years now, of course they would eventually perfect ways to create the maximum damage using as little explosives as possible.
Its a matter learning from mistakes.

couldnt agree more.
it reminds me of that "propaganda" video from iraqi resistance, when the narrator said: "Today we write a new chapter in the arts of urban warfare.",
and yes they are!
sooner or later they will make new efficent ways to destroy enemy armor and infantry in the urban areas.
its just a matter of time.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I've noticed the bombs are certainly getting bigger.
I've been surprised at the size of the explosions in some of the videos.

They're using all of those unsecured munitions.

2005-01-03 Insurgents bomb US convoy smoke'em.out (AlJazeera).wmv

The explosion in the link below is really huge.
2004-12-29 AL Tawhd Carbombs US HeadQuaters In Mosul Iraq amalyah.wmv.zip

dear god,
these explosions are really powerfull, especially the second one.
i see they are also "covering" the event from diffrent angles, with diffrent cameras.
now that is called "writing new chapters of urban warfare"...

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

I have to agree here. The bradley is "lightly" armored and built for speed. But this attack "flipped" the Bradley. It weighs 35 tons. About the same as a loaded 18 wheeler. There was no "penetration" of the armor. The impact killed the guys inside.

What does strike me as strange is the number of good quality cameras provided to film the attacks. Most likely Al Jazzera..........TNN...Terrorist News Network..............

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
and yes, ofcourse there are others "helping" the iraqi resistance, just like there are lots of friends of us forces, "helping" them clean up the resistance (british, polish, australian etc..), why shouldnt syrians and iranians go and help their neighbours? after all, if iraq falls, they are possibly next in line.
i rather fight before my own door, than iside my house,
dont you?

I don't know... what do the innocent Iraqi citizens say about the cowardly terrorists that are murdering them in their "neighbourly manner"?

It reminds me of the saying, " I am not so afraid of the government as I am of the guy next door".

[edit on 8-1-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hello,

Got'a give it to em' there getting better at making the bombs, thanx to the American'z.

But to say the Iran/Syria secret service i'z helping make a bigger bomb....hmmmm.....it's like the Iraq's know nothing (but I know th'r smart)....if not mistaken in Iraq' land they found "batteries" 1000's years old....way before "Energizer", so let's give the Iraq resistance some creadit....they know how to make bombs 2.

Plus it's funny how people "addapt" when forced to.

Plus don't see going out in the wee hours at night with nothing more then a bag of TNT and a rifle....with American's buzzing around a "Coward" act, got'a have balls for that....plus never seen a American Leader in the front lines of a battle (Bin Ladin was in Tora Bora), and Mr. Bush look'd just like the school children he was visiting when they struck the towers....he looked like a kid scared (y'a a real Texan...my ass)....if he was a real Texan he would have confronted Bin Laden to a dual...on some dessert road....but guess with the "little" military training Bush had he know's he lose...hee...hee.

Your Canadian Friend,
Sven

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I don't know... what do the innocent Iraqi citizens say about the cowardly terrorists that are murdering them in their "neighbourly manner"?
It reminds me of the saying, " I am not so afraid of the government as I am of the guy next door".

what did the innocent iraqi citizen says when "your" airplans cowardly droped a thousand tons of bombs on baghdad city in your "shock and awe" or should i say "blitzkrieg" tactics? oh i forget, precision guided bombs DONT miss, right?

and WHAT goverment are you talking about anyway? the american puppet of a governor that got shot a week ago? the iraqi goverment that in one year since the war was over made just about ZERO changes for the better of iraqi people. so if you ask an averege citizen who would he support, his so called "goverment" or the people who fight against it, i think he would gladly help those who fight for the change of iraqi people.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I tried to fight/stress, the Iraq'eeee side, but knew you would add to it....tried to add different side to it, then the usuall cowardly "drop bomb" way, that was a given.

But SoulJah, it's not only you who want's peace, _od want's peace 2, never forget....even if all others do.....he made you the person you are for a reason...maybe to spread y'r love through this "new" media....y'r voice is heard (don't forget).

Your always friend Sven.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by svenglezz
Hello,

Got'a give it to em' there getting better at making the bombs, thanx to the American'z.

So you sympathize with and support the terrorists. Good. Maybe you should go over there and get in the front lines with them, eh?

But to say the Iran/Syria secret service i'z helping make a bigger bomb....hmmmm.....it's like the Iraq's know nothing (but I know th'r smart)....if not mistaken in Iraq' land they found "batteries" 1000's years old....way before "Energizer", so let's give the Iraq resistance some creadit....they know how to make bombs 2.

They need funding and shelter. Iran and Syria are providing that.

Plus don't see going out in the wee hours at night with nothing more then a bag of TNT and a rifle....with American's buzzing around a "Coward" act, got'a have balls for that....

Yeah, it takes real balls to use women and children as human shields as you flee with your black masks into the mosque for safety. It takes real balls to saw off the heads of innocent civilians and videotape it.

You have a very twisted idea of what a "hero" is. I'm glad that most Canadians do not share your views.

plus never seen a American Leader in the front lines of a battle (Bin Ladin was in Tora Bora), and Mr. Bush look'd just like the school children he was visiting when they struck the towers....he looked like a kid scared (y'a a real Texan...my ass)....if he was a real Texan he would have confronted Bin Laden to a dual...on some dessert road....but guess with the "little" military training Bush had he know's he lose...hee...hee.

I've never seen a Canadian at all in the front lines in Iraq, much less your leaders. Which world leaders fight in the front lines? Your idol Chirac? No, he is too busy stealing the money from the Iraqis with the Oil For Food scandal.

Bin Laden is too cowardly to come out in public, so any talk about a duel is useless. Meanwhile, Bush goes to the mideast whenever he wants and pisses on bin Laden's soil.

I wonder what your leaders would do if they were told that the First Canadian Place or Scotia Plaza were hit by commercial airliners. They would probably crap in their skirts and wail like a woman.

from Souljah
what did the innocent iraqi citizen says when "your" airplans cowardly droped a thousand tons of bombs on baghdad city in your "shock and awe" or should i say "blitzkrieg" tactics? oh i forget, precision guided bombs DONT miss, right?

They probably said "Damn you Saddam! Why did you bring us to this point? Did you think you could scoff at the UN forever without consequences?"

and WHAT goverment are you talking about anyway? the american puppet of a governor that got shot a week ago? the iraqi goverment that in one year since the war was over made just about ZERO changes for the better of iraqi people. so if you ask an averege citizen who would he support, his so called "goverment" or the people who fight against it, i think he would gladly help what did the innocent iraqi citizen says when "your" airplans cowardly droped a thousand tons of bombs on baghdad city in your "shock and awe" or should i say "blitzkrieg" tactics? oh i forget, precision guided bombs DONT miss, right?

and WHAT goverment are you talking about anyway? the american puppet of a governor that got shot a week ago? the iraqi goverment that in one year since the war was over made just about ZERO changes for the better of iraqi people. so if you ask an averege citizen who would he support, his so called "goverment" or the people who fight against it, i think he would gladly help those who fight for the change of iraqi people..

Maybe you should read something other that Al Jazeera, Souljah. Then you might learn that the Iraqi interim government is only about 6 months old. Elections will be held in several weeks.

Maybe you can explain why "those who fight for the change of iraqi people" are busy murdering innocent Iraqi citizens and destroying their future by blowing up the oil pipelines. I think that the Iraqi people are fed up with those terrorists.

Like the saying goes, "With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

You are fond of saying "One man's X is another man's Y". You should realize that X and Y are rarely equal. Things are not that simple.

You say you want peace? Then why do you applaud when people are murdered? Your words are shallow and empty, Souljah.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hello again,

Join'em I would.....and I'd be the one sprinting in front....that's for sure, but for you to sit there and start to say to others what they beleive that is a true "terroriest", I respect your view as much as Soldjar's view...that's your right and his....but I don't sit here at say what you believe.

Just trying to see both side (as always), not blinded by CNN or Islamic Sites, in my eyes, th'r both "crap", so that ends that now doesn't it.

But hate t'a brake it to y'a, Bin is more of a man that Bush, Bin'z like one of the only ones fighting back to the "distorted" view of many in the US. And he was in Tora Bora at the Front lines with his solders, Bush hides in the cover of night, then checks out what's going on in the staging areas...but guess he can't go to the mess hall and have turkey with his fellow solders.....can he? hee...hee.

And to say you never saw one Canadian on the front lines in Iraq...hmmm...thanx for that....we aint' that dum....hee...hee.

Your Canadian Friend Sven.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Maybe you should read something other that Al Jazeera, Souljah. Then you might learn that the Iraqi interim government is only about 6 months old. Elections will be held in several weeks.

hehe, you got me smiling here man!
you are saying to me i should read something other than al jazeera? you are really funny guy! i read almost ALL possible sources, from american, european, russian, arabian.
do not judge me if have no idea about me.
you are good at that i see.
but is is YOU who reads ONLY fox, abc, cnn news, not me!

Maybe you can explain why "those who fight for the change of iraqi people" are busy murdering innocent Iraqi citizens and destroying their future by blowing up the oil pipelines. I think that the Iraqi people are fed up with those terrorists

You are fond of saying "One man's X is another man's Y". You should realize that X and Y are rarely equal. Things are not that simple.

You say you want peace? Then why do you applaud when people are murdered? Your words are shallow and empty, Souljah.

again, i will explain to you:
currently the oil piplenies represent the american future in iraq.
everybody working for the american forces is treated as the enemy.
ofcourse iraqi people are "fed up" with all kinds of shooting and bombing. we all like to live in peace, dont you agree? but tell me, would these so called "terrorists" fight if they didnt have to? or do you think they are just doing it out of their "hobby"?

there are always two sides to every medal. and the same saying goes here. if you are looking for truth, you will not find it in war, since truth is the first casualty of war. and i know, that things are not that simple, actually things are very ugly down there.

and you say i APPLAUD when people are murdered?
where the hell did you see me do that?

i belive we can debate this topic forever and we will not make any progress, nor a move towards each other, since our belifs and ideologies differ in almost every possible aspect.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
We should always discuss....not matter....what we think......

esp. if we disagree.........that's the time to talk most....regardless of our views differ. that's the broblem with this war, everyone fights...no one want's t'a talk at the table.

Don't sweat his words Souljar......it's what inside that counts and what _od see's, that's what really counts.

I just imagine what this place is going to be like when the "#" hits the fan, can feel it.....something is coming soon, I just hope (pray) that we all will discuss these issues rationaly after the next big attack.

Your Canadian Friend (always),
Sven

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It's what's inside that counts, thats for sure:

me join'em....already have.....

Hello again,

Join'em I would.....and I'd be the one sprinting in front....that's for sure

Glad you clarified that, that you're happy to be a terrorist. Your god sees it too.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by jsobecky]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join