It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is sex wrong?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Regarding the original sin. Please do forgive me for my ignorance, but wasn't it Adam and Eve's procreation and creating a lesser species the original sin and the disobediance of god?

[edit on 8-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by toolmaker
Look at what happens when the Sexual nature is repressed;
Religious Leaders that take vows of Abstinance have been getting arrested and charged with Rape, Pedophelia, sodomy, etc. This is headline news since the Church knew and covered these actions up. I am not sure what the Rationale is; its ok to sodomize, molest, rape members of your own sex as long as you dont touch a Woman..?
[edit on 8-1-2005 by toolmaker]

That is another interesting thing. What is with the Christian (Catholic at least) vows of abstinence? WHY? How does not marrying or having sex make someone "more pure"?
As you say, repression leads to worse deeds being done. Stories about priests involved in Rape, Pedophelia, etc are fairly common.
Even in Islamic countries where women are repressed, it doesn't stop anybody. There are stories of beastiality and pedophelia there even.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Regarding the original sin. Please do forgive me for my ignorance, but wasn't it Adam and Eve's procreation and creating a lesser species the original sin?

It was the other way around Kinda.

Disobeying God and eating the fruit of knowledge was the original sin, the pain of childbirth and old age was the punishment not the cause, if I remember my sunday school lessons right

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Regarding the original sin. Please do forgive me for my ignorance, but wasn't it Adam and Eve's procreation and creating a lesser species the original sin?

It was the other way around Kinda.

Disobeying God and eating the fruit of knowledge was the original sin, the pain of childbirth and old age was the punishment not the cause, if I remember my sunday school lessons right

yes i think your right amuk, I'm not Christian but yeah hearing that reminds me of my sunday school days as well
looking back on it, i'm pretty sure you are right.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Read this somewhere some years ago. Stuck with me ever since.

Got to do with abstinence. : "My doctor advised me to abstain from intercourse as it would cause me thrombosis. But I would rather have thrombosis than abstain from intercourse and suffer from neurosis."

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
Read this somewhere some years ago. Stuck with me ever since.

Got to do with abstinence. : "My doctor advised me to abstain from intercourse as it would cause me thrombosis. But I would rather have thrombosis than abstain from intercourse and suffer from neurosis."

not to flame you, but sounds really lame to me. Whats so great about sex that you'd risk your personal health to experience? seriously, once you do it once thats pretty much it, just the same old same old. am i missing something

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Original Sin.

this term appears nowhere in the Bible, not in any translation aramiac, hebrew or greek.

this doctrine was developed over thousands of years by religious leaders, supposedly the act of disobeying God by eating the fruit of Knowledge. It is a perfect marketing tool; You are born with original sin, and we know how to remove it, trust us to interpret the Bible for you.

If you believe in What Jesus taught, you need nothing more than Divine Love. Thats it. It is there to anyone that asks for it, and you need nobody on earth to intercede on your behalf for it. Seperate what jesus taught from what people say jesus taught.

I would argue that the mechanism of organized Religions have corrupted and hijacked what was taught and created false doctrines to support the need for their existance.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ohgr, I really am quite at a loss at your predicament. Let's see how I can place into words what you are missing.

There are 3 types of lovers.

The 1st type : nothing happens, no satisfaction, flat liner _______

The 2nd type : the Giver. He or she wants to give pleasure and satisfaction to the other party. This is the true lover, the true animal. The more pleasure his/her partner feels, the more pleasure the Giver feels. It is a cycle of love and lust. Building and building up till the "lights go out".

The 3rd type : the Taker. After orgasm, get the hell out of my sight. The cuddle after the fact is frowned upon as a mercy cuddle.

Now, you decide which category you fall into and see what you are missing. So so sorry that you feel sex is overrated.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Which aspects of human sexuality are wrong according to your religion? Example: Masturbation.

In Christianity it is believed that the Adam and Eve's procreation was a sin and this original sin was passed on to the future generations. If this is true, then why did God create the mechanism whereby procreation could happen?

It is a very simple question that you asked. Unfortunately, everyone has lost the connection with the true meaning of Christianity, so everyone missed the answer.

Sex is a sin because it appeals to the animistic/wild/beast side of humans. It does not let a person be spiritual.

Remember that one of the basic teachings of Christianity is the personal fight against human passions.

Sex, if unconstrained, it leads to many passions...it is no coincidence that orgies and corruption go hand-in-hand.

Sex had to be made attractive, because otherwise no one would do it. But if it is unconstrained, it becomes like drugs, i.e. addictive. And addiction (any addiction) can destroy a human being.

Sex within marriage is not a sin, because the institution of marriage puts both members under oath that any act within the marriage is backed up with love.

All the other opinions about sex are just excuses. I am a sinner too, of course. I have put forward these excuses (that "sex between two adults is not a sin", "masturbation is good because I don't hurt anyone" etc) lots of times before.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well I never went sunday school, so I made up for it from wikipedia this saturday(today)

So apparently the original sin is nothing more than Adam and Eve eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. As soon as they ate it they became ashamed of their genitals and were then cursed by the otherwise all loving and forgiving god. Interesting.

It is Augustine that proposed the generative act of sex itself is what passes down the original sin and was accepted into the doctrine of the church.

There is some kind of sexual connotation there.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Sex within marriage is not a sin, because the institution of marriage puts both members under oath that any act within the marriage is backed up with love.

The institution of marriage does not guarantee love. That is why divorces exist. If love is a prerequisite for sex. Then, an unmarried couple that love each other can have sex?

If you love yourself; you can masturbate?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dixon

Ohgr, I really am quite at a loss at your predicament. Let's see how I can place into words what you are missing.

There are 3 types of lovers.

The 1st type : nothing happens, no satisfaction, flat liner _______

The 2nd type : the Giver. He or she wants to give pleasure and satisfaction to the other party. This is the true lover, the true animal. The more pleasure his/her partner feels, the more pleasure the Giver feels. It is a cycle of love and lust. Building and building up till the "lights go out".

The 3rd type : the Taker. After orgasm, get the hell out of my sight. The cuddle after the fact is frowned upon as a mercy cuddle.

Now, you decide which category you fall into and see what you are missing. So so sorry that you feel sex is overrated.

I don't know, i'm just not a very emotional person. I feel the more emotional links/bonds you have to things the more open you are to being hurt, but i'm getting off topic. thanks for trying to help dixion.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sex is not a Sin.

Sex is fire, good or bad depends on how its being used. Is it a Sin to be hungry? to be thirsty? how can it be a Sin to desire Sex? you are Hard Wired to Desire sex, food and water. The extremes can be considered sinful, but the core itself cannot. There was a Time when Sex was a spiritual act in most world religions. Hopefully this is taught once again.

Your Passions are what make you Human. Passion is what makes a fireman run into a Burning building to save people they do not know. Passion is what makes a parent work two jobs to put their children through college. God gave you Passion, the Church tries to take it away and strip the very thing that makes you worthy in the gods sight.

The core teaching of Chritianity is to Clothe the naked, house the homeless, care for the sick and love your neighbor. In other words let loose the Passion that burns inside each of us.

Try reading the song of solomon to your love interest, see how long before she/he gets that look in their eye....God is Passion and wants you to have great sex. Our Creator has written sex into who you are, and into Every living thing in Nature. Deny this and we deny God.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp

It is a very simple question that you asked. Unfortunately, everyone has lost the connection with the true meaning of Christianity, so everyone missed the answer.
Sex is a sin because it appeals to the animistic/wild/beast side of humans. It does not let a person be spiritual.

Sex, if unconstrained, it leads to many passions...it is no coincidence that orgies and corruption go hand-in-hand.

I agree with you to a point, but your last statement may be more illuminating.

We have to remember that most of the stigma over sex dates back to the Old Testament. In particular, Leviticus has a lot to say about what you should and shouldn't do.

My belief is that these sexual laws were made when the Jewish tribes needed to grow. Without a population growth, you will never have the numbers that you need to gain a foothold or create a state.
If we look at procreation, we can see that the best way of siring heirs was within a family unit. Adultery would cause disharmony amongst the tribe, orgies would cause a corrupution and basically the tribe would not be able to numerically flourish. And if it couldn't flourish, it would be a total failure as it wouldn't be able to spread the influence of it's god.
When we look at the other aspects of "forbidden" sex, we come across the same thing. Masturbation, sodomy, homosexuality, etc, do not provide for numerical growth. It was basically seen as a wasted seed.

So it's not really a question of spirituality. More a question of basic need. Sex within marriage was the only surefire way of creating people to follow the religion.

And it's not the only law in the Bible that came about this way. If we look at the Jewish faith, we can see laws that were attributed to their god but were really necessities of population growth and survival. In the same book of the OT, we see laws forbidding the eating of certain foods. It always struck me as odd that the eating of shellfish or pork was forbidden in Jewish law when so many other things that sound much more disatasteful are acceptable. But when you realise that these tribes were desert nomads (albeit coastal), that there was no refridgeration available to them, and that the mentioned foods happen to be the most common cause of serious food poisoning, it all starts to make sense.

So in my opinion, sex is totally up to the individual. Do what makes you happy. Obviously if what you are doing requires a partner make sure that they are happy too. Otherwise there are modern day laws that might just land you in hot water!!!

Finally, in answer to one of the comments made above. Believe it or not, but there are many people out there who believe that sex is the most spiritual action that you can take part in. What could be more intimate than the meeting of two souls in the closest physical relationship possible?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Idigo...re-read my post on the first page of this thread as to original sin....I don't want to re type it....

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The institution of marriage does not guarantee love.

I never said that it does...But the society requires that you take on the responsibility to love your husband/wife.

If love is a prerequisite for sex. Then, an unmarried couple that love each other can have sex?

You have to be bound legally with another person in order to show your true face. Lot's of marriages break up, because people outside of marriage show a different face.

If you love yourself; you can masturbate?

What do you mean 'love' yourself? The kind of love I speak of is not something you can relate to 'loving yourself'. We all love ourselves. But a 2-person relationship is something much more, because of the sharing and love involved.

My opinion is that masturbation is wrong when done to the extreme. There are people that are anti-social, because they can masturbate. They don't choose to have sexual relationships with other people. In the long run, they loose the ability to care about themselves, because they don't care about what the others will think of them; and that's a key point to forming a society.

I feel the more emotional links/bonds you have to things the more open you are to being hurt, but i'm getting off topic.

It's true, that's why our society has given birth to 'coolness'. I.e. don't show your emotions. I have fallen for that, too. It sucks. You don't have someone to help you in bad times.

you are Hard Wired to Desire sex, food and water.

You are also hardwired to eat and drink a certain amount of food and water. Eat more and you have a problem.

Your Passions are what make you Human.

I don't know what being God or animal is, so I can't really tell.

Passion is what makes a fireman run into a Burning building to save people they do not know.

It's not passion, it is responsibility and pure love.

Passion is what makes a parent work two jobs to put their children through college.

You are making a mistake. You associate love, caring and responsibility with passion.

God gave you Passion, the Church tries to take it away and strip the very thing that makes you worthy in the gods sight.

Nope. I am sorry to say this, but you are hopelessly wrong.

Christianity never said 'don't go and help when there is a fire'. It said 'give everything you've got to save the people, and don't ask anything in return'.

Christianity never said 'don't work too much to help your children'. It said 'love the others as you love yourself.'

So it's not really a question of spirituality. More a question of basic need. Sex within marriage was the only surefire way of creating people to follow the religion.

Well, that's also a valid reason, from a historical perspective.

So in my opinion, sex is totally up to the individual. Do what makes you happy.

I like eating hamburgers. I want to eat one harburger every one hour. It makes me happy. Shall I do it?

Of course not, but that illustrates my point perfectly.

The point with sex is the same with drugs: it is so addictive, there is no stopping. Once you get pleasure, you can't stop. You always thing about it. For 99%, it is the thing mostly thought about in the course of the day.

Perhaps, as humanity matures, we learn how to control our urges, and then we don't need these religious laws. Religion in the past has served as the Law...we certainly don't need that role now.

Finally, in answer to one of the comments made above. Believe it or not, but there are many people out there who believe that sex is the most spiritual action that you can take part in. What could be more intimate than the meeting of two souls in the closest physical relationship possible?

What Christianity teaches though is pureness of the soul. How pureness can be achieved, if I think about other women, not as humans, but as tits-pussy-ass (for example)? It obviously can not. That is why Jesus went for praying 40 days in the desert, and the Devil tried to seduce him with beautiful women and food.

Remember, it is also a great hypocrisy when two people are together only for satisfying their personal sexual needs. I've been in a relationship like that. Great sex, but it felt empty. So it was a hypocrisy from my part, and from her part, that we liked each other. No, we actually did not. In fact, we did not really care, other than having a good time together. So it was a hypocrisy, a lie, and that's a sin. 99% of relationships today are like that.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I never said that it does...But the society requires that you take on the responsibility to love your husband/wife.

You also never said that it doesn't. I am not sure that society requires it, but yes the moral obligations of marriage do require it's partners to nuture and nourish their relationship.

However, sexual love itself, is not the privilege of marriage, but a natural emotion we feel for others. So it is erronous to say that love can only exist within the institution of marriage. As we know both statistically and psychologically that the institution of marriage is not a bond of love, but a bond of commitment.

In fact, statistically, love marriages are more unsuccesful than arranged marriages.

You have to be bound legally with another person in order to show your true face. Lot's of marriages break up, because people outside of marriage show a different face.

No you don't. How are your emotions, desires and urges connected to a legally binding contract? The act of marriage is a social ritual. The act of sex is a human ritual.

What do you mean 'love' yourself? The kind of love I speak of is not something you can relate to 'loving yourself'. We all love ourselves. But a 2-person relationship is something much more, because of the sharing and love involved.

My opinion is that masturbation is wrong when done to the extreme. There are people that are anti-social, because they can masturbate. They don't choose to have sexual relationships with other people. In the long run, they loose the ability to care about themselves, because they don't care about what the others will think of them; and that's a key point to forming a society.

How can masturbation be anti-social if 95% of men and 80% of women masturbate? Further, what does masturbation have to do with society and how you contribute to it? It's is an act of self-pleasure.

If you are going to give your partner pleasure, it's a good idea, to know how to give yourself pleasure.

Further, studies have shown suppressing your sexuality can lead to sexual dysfunctions. How do you suppose one abstains from acts of sexuality before marriage? You either use it or lose it. In todays culture the age for marriage is late 20's or 30's. Your sexual peak is the early 20's. So, again, if you don't use it in at your peak of youth, you will lose that experience.

Now, considering that masturbation is a completely harmless act and in addition releases sexual desires. How is it wrong?

If your partner masturbates you for you, it becomes right or wrong according to your doctrine?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Screw society, both literally and not. Sex is good, nowafays you have to watch out for aids, herpes, other STDs, but well, sex is good. Without sex you have no life. I know, well, with a spouse ok but all other bad, right? NO! I don't care who you are, if you keep it inside of you you either go insane or make a mess in the sheets after awhile.(wet dream) So forget sin, have fun, safely.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
According to some Christian doctrine (I'm Catholic but I'm liberal on sex), these are just some of the things we are not supposed to do.

Masturbate (Come on its natutal)
Anal Sex (considered sodomy)
Oral Sex (same as above)
Pre-marital sex
Sex with a member of your own gender

There maybe more, but I think its all bullcrap. I believe no one can tell two consenting adults how they can or cannot have sex.

then why to live at all?

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
i know in taoism, they say that each sexual act inc masturbation robs one of vital energy and depletes ur store. The taoist masters aiming for the highest advancement in their science practice abseinance.

Shaolin masters who can use their chi to withstand spears, bricks etc abstein (they also condition their bodies using conventional methods like punching walls etc)

In yoga, if one is looking at attaining longesvity, again, sex should be avoided.

Taoists actually developed methods of non ejaculatory sex so that when they orgasmed, they could direct the sexual energy up to higher parts of their body to help their advancement.

Im a hindu btw, and i think that tradition cites that sex should only be partaken in for the production of children. Yes i know we wrote the kama sutra, but thai land have paedophilic pimps, does that mean people condone it there? course not. Same thing here, kama sutra couldve been the playbe in ancient times,lol. btw, i loved reading the kama sutra

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join