It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of LIFE??? In your opinion???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Created to be His children and be in a relationship that is perfect, harmonious and loving

This place will teach us why the future promise of Gods kingdom is better than this, what we thought was worth living for was a shadow, a darkness of no value.

Sorry to say....You cannot dream of a better future by wallowing and decrying the present. The ones who constantly denigrate this Nature, this world these people around us - will get the same in the hereafter.

I dont wish to get into a polemic but I think the OP said he believes in God - surely you can offer more substance than "we were created to be with god"

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Survive.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

I feel as though the "meaning of life" is different for each person, and relates to those things you as an individual derive meaning from.

The purpose of life, on the other hand, is possibly able to be defined.

I can't, but I believe a quantum physicist/shaman/mathematician will be able to in the near future.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
From my office desk calendar, yesterday's quote -

What do you want a meaning for? Life is a desire, not a meaning.
- Charlie Chaplin

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
There is none. I used to get so depressed trying to figure it all out. Now I just don't care, I'll ride it out till I'm gone, and try to have fun along the way, it's far too short to sit and worry on things that don't matter in the end.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The meaning of life is fulfillment. For the universe to ever have existed, as it does now, it must have first existed as a pure uncreated potentiality. Therefore the meaning of life is just that, life. Look at the world, gaze at the stars, feel the heart beat in your chest as your lungs expand and contract with each inhale and exhale. These very things were once just potential without existence; and now here you are fulfilling that potential, fulfilling the expression of that potential. Really, let that sink in.

Our universal life is but the mere mortal shadow of the eternal potentiality of all life; you are the essence of that life observing the manifestation of your own illimitable potential. What greater meaning could there be than that?
edit on 19-1-2016 by EviLCHiMP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Also.. broads..

(wonder if anyone will get that reference?)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I can offer my opinion
I can offer others opinions, thought mine would do though

Also I know many people who live it far worse and far tougher than I do.
I just want Gods promise of a better future, for me and them.

What that future entails, I dont really understand so it would be assumption, what I do know is what God has in store is better than this life. All I can say is that it is a promise of a relationship based on love, without evil.

Sorry best I got

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

What I was referring to was not an "actual" meaning of life, but the illusion of one, which we perceive when we're younger, distracted from reality. Of course society doesn't "teach" us the meaning of life, but one is assumed by the mere action of living day-to-day in this environment, stimulated by indoctrination, social constructs, toys, relationships, entertainment, etc...

If you don't understand what I'm trying to say after that, then we can agree to disagree and continue interpreting our own subjective meanings

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The purpose of my life tomorrow is to build some crates and get some pipes with flanges shipped. Then go kick some ass on the pool table and win some free rounds. Then, if I'm truly blessed, do some sweet making out with my gal before I get a good night of sleep. I like keeping things simple.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I tried replying to this thread yesterday... But my reply became very long. I'm 23 and can't remember a time where I was not searching for this answer. I'll try and keep it short.

Experience, perception and understanding towards others perspectives. I think this has a lot to do with the meaning of life. This world has made me cynical. Disappointment beyond description is what I feel for my species. Somehow there is hope... I believe consciousness is something we are yet to understand. I don't think we are simply here to reproduce, we are intelligent enough to reproduce responsibly, meaning that to take the species forward by simply mating is not the answer.

We are now in control of the intelligent design, I think the meaning of life is about caring, compassion and helping these qualities to bloom in our fellow man, and woman of course.

Modern society has completely lost the plot...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

good point

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: EviLCHiMP

that's the problem though, in western culture, you essencially can't have much of a life unless you're rich. It's so stupid. If you're not rich then you're oppressed in so many ways it's not even funny. To the point where life isn't even a life. You're just a slave. A stupid rat stuck in a maze. Like who wants to live under that kind of tyranny. That's why half the time I just think maybe I'll go live out in the wild and hope for the best. Because to live on grid and in the system with no money is so pointless and hopeless. It's so worthless.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance

that's the problem though, in western culture, you essencially can't have much of a life unless you're rich. It's so stupid. If you're not rich then you're oppressed in so many ways it's not even funny. To the point where life isn't even a life. You're just a slave. A stupid rat stuck in a maze. Like who wants to live under that kind of tyranny. That's why half the time I just think maybe I'll go live out in the wild and hope for the best. Because to live on grid and in the system with no money is so pointless and hopeless. It's so worthless.

It is worthless in your eyes because, whether you are aware of it or not, within you there is something that is of far greater value, something priceless; your conscience, your spirit. This world is a dark mirror that reflects upon us the evils within our own hearts, some of us carrying a greater burden than others and mistakingly placing our worth into impermanent phenomena outside of our own control. Not a single man can change a hair on his body by his own will, how much more so can't a man change his circumstances.

But there is something, yeah only one thing that we truly can change, and that is our thoughts about the world and our understanding of ourselves. Yet we continue to deny our selves by placing our values into the hands of the perishable materials of the world, yeah even the body. No matter where we find ourselves, whether in society or in the wilderness, we will not escape the depravity within our own souls. So what is a man to do?

Deny the evil thoughts existence within your spirit; your mind and intellect. Deny the existence of any thought that harms your spirits, deny the darkness permission to exist in you. Only give permission to good thoughts, logical thoughts, reasonable and loving thoughts and cling to them as if your very life depends on them, because truly it does and you have not come to know it yet. But foremostly seek peace within your heart and leave the world to its own course.

That is your true path to wisdom. That is your true path to understanding the meaning of it all.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

ya I suppose anything could happen right. Even if you try and steer a course of yoru choosing, still anything could happen.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

ya but all that is so subjectual so to speak. Ya be good etc etc. But maybe what it should be is be good and go to work, and then just hope for the best. Cuz if you could just be good and see anything good happen in your life, well I find that hard to imagine, and even if it was true, I'd find it too flakey. I don't think anything's gonna get done without you working long and hard at it. Yes it could magically happen, you could win the lotto but most likely it's not gonna work out.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Ask an animal or tree, they will give you your answer.....

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Life is not one size fits all.

Kev

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
All " meaning " is manufactured in our mind . And then projected outward onto things and cicumstances . There is no " meaning " out there to be found seperate from our own perception . Nothing has any inherint meaning aside from what an observer might apply to it .
If we desire meaning , we must create it for ourselves .

Perhaps we are an attempt by God to create meaning for himself . For , without a creation , what would be the point of his existence .

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If there is an afterlife, then the meaning of life is probably incomprehensible in our current incarnation; to understand the who, what and why of everything is beyond our grasp. But it does indicate that there must be some type of purpose for us being here.

If there is no afterlife, then there really does not appear to be a valid reason for living. Some people say "well just live and enjoy your life" but if you really think deeply about it, what is the point in doing that? Why go through all the challenges and obstacles if there is no satisfaction to be gained at the end of the trial?

Conflicting thoughts like the above sometimes make me filled with an indescribable appreciation of life, while at other times it makes me question why I don't just blow my brains out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join