It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest twin study of adolescent cannabis use finds no relationship between heavy use & IQ decline

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

"Impact of adolescent marijuana use on intelligence: Results from two longitudinal twin studies," by Nicholas J. Jackson et al. PNAS, www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1516648113

The link is ok, it's a time question...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Well don't you worry because I'll be on the look out for its release.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: PersonneX
Thanks. That provides a trail to follow.
It looks like Jackson used the same dataset for his MA thesis.

For example, peer marijuana use was associated with attrition, making it likely that those who did not complete the study may have done so due to their own marijuana use or factors associated with use.

digitallibrary.usc.edu...

I really want to see his new analysis.

edit on 1/18/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Here's the thing. It doesn't "make you dumb" or fry your brain cells. But, it does re-route your dopamine receptors, which effects the levels of serotonin and other neural transmitter chemicals. And this "could" have an effect on the growth of the frontal lobe in an adolescent. This "rerouting" of seratonin is similar to what ssri drugs like Zoloft do to the brain. Think of the brain like a big highway with many exits. These drugs are like road construction, in which the current exits are blocked off and new exits are constructed. Are the new exits better or worse? Are the lanes wider? Are the exits more efficient? Longer? Shorter? Will they cause more traffic jams or more accidents?

The frontal lobe doesn't stop growing until you are 25. So, repeated depletion of seratonin and dopamine inhibition might have an effect on its growth, and thus might be negatively effecting the teenage brain. Truth is, we don't know what the effects are yet, or how severe. But, considering these same chemicals are what steers and incentivises frontal lobe growth, it's not hard to imagine that it could effect the process.

No, it doesn't freeze brain cells, and no, it's not going to retard your iq growth. But, it does effect it... However minute. You simply cannot use chemicals to trigger large doses of seratonin and not effect your brain. Another fear is that all drugs physically change your neural transmitters. Opiate addicts have way more opiod u receptors than a normal brain. Why is that? Because, your brain will compensate for large repeated doses of opiates by changing other receptors into opiod receptors in order to uptake this large dose of opiates. Marijuana would probably act in the same.

It also effects the growth of sperm tails. It breaks the rna chains that make up the tail. And that single broken sperm tail might belong to the sperm that makes your child. What effects does this have on the subject?

Drugs are dangerous and should be thoroughly studied before promoted as "safe." We simply haven't done enough research to know the true effects of these plants. Until we do, we should be extremely weary about promoting them as "good for you" or not dangerous. This goes for big pharma, every alcohol manufacturer, and every dispensery.

Remember, people used to snort tobacco up their nasal passages, because they liked the feeling of the nicotine rush, and they thought sneezing was good for you.

And just to clarify, I am for the legalization of all drugs. I don't think the government has the right or the authority to tell adults what they can and can't put into their bodies. And I am all for ending the illegal drug trade and taking away the financial market from all of these gangs and cartels that kill and rob innocent citizens. However, this doesn't mean we should stop researching and learning of the effects of these chemicals. Just so long as they don't secretly test them on unknowing unwilling subjects by nepharious secret means.

edit on 19-1-2016 by SheepDipped because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2016 by SheepDipped because: Cleaned and changed some choice words.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Online:
www.pnas.org...

**EDIT**
Yeah, it's totally what I have seen. When people I have near me started (consuming much more than once by week), they had an impact on speach, but just when they continued the usage. When they stopped, everything when back to normal. I was just surprise how little it's really influence the vocabulary!

edit on 20-1-2016 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

**RE-EDIT**
For the rest I cannot talk, I don't force people to pass strange test when I speak to them
!
edit on 20-1-2016 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join