It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of the Robots Will Eliminate More Than 5 Million Jobs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

We've imprisoned ourselves with virtual bars made of iPads, Google Glasses. The prison fence is made of email and we dine on corned beef Hashtags.

Our society is vulnerable and reliant on 110 AC.

It's sad that we fear an EMP more than ebola, starvation, terrorism.

Our society reminds me of the movie Wall-E. We've become too fat and lazy.

edit on 18-1-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

It's always comforting to know you are smarter than your co-workers isn't it.

Life at the top can be boring.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Already in debt from my first two attempts. Great grades, but still needed to work even with loans. Life threw me some curve balls I coulda handled if just working or just schooling but not both.

I have anxiety and depressions issues that severely reduce my stress tolerance.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Just think if it was free.... how many others would feel the same, abandon the employment they have, to sit in a classroom to battle over a potential job opportunity that would eliminate the one you vacated due to automation...

How many jobs would be there for the minimal openings to handle that switchboard?

Instead of labor rising up to FIGHT THE MAN...

would it be geeks rising up?

I think we all want fair.... and fair unfortunately leans towards the folks who employ... not idealists who envision how things should be...

The thread title is rise of the robots.... it's those doggone capitalists trying their best to maximize their profit margin...

For those against it, to think that embracing it and demanding a free education in that genre, so they can get a good paying job, healthcare etc etc, is a quest for Utopia...

It may be a quest with good intentions, but... you have to intentionally forget the free market capitalism that allowed the nation to keep advancing...

Personally, I would settle for an honest representation in our Federal govt', Legislative, Executive & Judicial.. but the more I wait, the more I think that it's as silly as the quest for a FREE life in the robotic US future...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
I wonder how many scientific minds have been squandered by this system...

Mine has been squandered and I have an a cute sense for creative solutions.

I'm just waiting for my opportunity to prove it, and I will.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I don't think the majority of the population honestly wants an education.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I wouldn't say fat & lazy... I would say that during the tech revolution, the folks on the forefront, and implementation of that tech revolution, see America as pliable

fresh clay, easy to manipulate.. shape as they want.... via the best opportunity for the folks to learn, spread the truth...

They are winning..... WE THE PEOPLE are losing... sad to see.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No it's not, besides I'm often not smarter than my coworkers, at least not with certain things. Different people pick up different things easier.

School environment I'd kick the ass of many coworkers, but many coworkers I'd blow away in school can do things at work I just seem to not be able to get the hang of.

I'm a thinker, but I have no stamina, and my dexterity just isn't there like many.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
YOu know reading about the future is great and a world where robots do the work has been the utopian idea of films probably since the 1970's if not earlier.

But does anyone see a possible threat to our wondrous world were someone to employ and EMP to it? Sweet nothing would work unless the technology exists to combat this weapon.

Our world is and has changed dramatically more in the last 20 odd years than probably ever before, but there is a possible vulnerability to it when mankind relies not on itself but machines.

We currently look at huge blocks of stone in quarries and wonder how the hell the ancients used their technology to get them cut off their rock bases and up in place - we could find ourselves looking at a world with no reliable energy to power the machines that cocoon our lives and find ourselves left with no knowledge of how to replace it if we aren't clever and plan ahead - which we don't today.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
there is a tipping point with automation where it goes from enhancing a culture to destroying its economy.

This is the point that we will have to (soon) deal with. Im eyeing Lockeed and their compact fusion reactor, and wondering how they will bring it to market in an economy that it could very easily help destroy. If nothing else, it could destabilise it. Then again...with oil nearing $10/barrel, im not so sure our petrodollar supported economy isnt' already seeing some destabilization.

Anyway...thanks for the article. This is a dovetail to the coming AI revolution.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm afraid of that because I don't want Lockheed further influencing global policy.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

It may be a quest with good intentions, but... you have to intentionally forget the free market capitalism that allowed the nation to keep advancing...

What are you talking about?
Free market capitalism hasn't existed since the Colonial days.
This sort of thinking is exactly the issue we face when moving forward with technology.

Eventually there will only be one job for every seven people. Or a hundred. Or a thousand. Or a million.
If we do not do away with the "work to eat" notion, then we will in effect be authorizing a mass culling of the human population.
edit on 18/1/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
5 million to start maybe, robots and computer systems stand to eliminate a significant portion of all things considered laborious. Eventually said systems will be able to provide primary maintenance for themselves.

Not everyone is cut out to be a programmer or an engineer, the idea that people just have to apply themselves more is absurd. There will be a lot of people who will be unemployed when the robotics revolution peaks, and society needs to be ready for that. Our current economic systems will not survive the change or we won't.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

This sort of thinking is exactly the issue we face when moving forward with technology.

Eventually there will only be one job for every seven people. Or a hundred. Or a thousand. Or a million.
If we do not do away with the "work to eat" notion, then we will in effect be authorizing a mass culling of the human population.

Free market capitalism?

You mean getting your business approved by the city, zoned, and liscened?

If there's to many of your kind of business in town they can say no rather than allow for more competition to see who produces the greatest result?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

Do you not realize that the 1 job for 7... or 100, 1000, 1,000,000 would be the same result of a system that embraces robotics... even in a free education bonanza for the masses...?

What jobs will they fill? How many "Degreed" graduates of higher learning do we have struggling to find employment today?

How many grads, do we have, with crippling loan payments due.. to the GOV'T?

I think left right middle and tuned out can at least agree that we are in a FUBAR situation...

Personally, I don't think it can be fixed, without all of the regular folks on both sides and the center to say...

Hell NO...

I think it can happen, I think regular right leaning folks can say Hell no, I think that left leaning folks can say Hell no.. and I know that the center has been screaming HELL NO for years...

I don't know what the anger will put in office... you have Trump blazing on the right, and Sanders blazing on the left...

As much as I don't agree with either... I would be happy to see that the folks put their choice in... should either win..

pay attention.... scrutinize the media... they should be considered as suspect as someone stealing your chickens from your henhouse, while at the same time knocking on your front door just to tell you that they love what you are doing with your property...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

The point of the degree will change.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

At the point where survival is no longer an economic issue and robots are doing most labor, education would be about science and advancing humanity.

Imagine the progress if more people were able to pursue advancing our species rather than a life and mind wasted in mindless drudgery?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

My God I couldn't agree with you more. 1000 stars!! - if only. Western society has locked itself into it's own zombie apocalypse and people don't even realize it. I cringe everytime my friends rave about the new tech, movie, game, etc... It's just distraction piled on top of more distractions from what really matters in this life.
edit on 19-1-2016 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Honestly I can't wait for the day when all jobs are taken over by automation.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Can you really blame them from needing that escape though? There isn't much time for much else. Doing things, really doing things takes time and dedication. After coming home from a 40+ hour work week you're tired both physically and mentally, as well as end of each day you work. Relaxing to recuperate is pretty much all you have the energy to do. Advancing science or taking care of one's personal health not so much.

Stuck instead cramming what little relaxation you can in hopes of recovering just enough morale to go back into work to do the same drudgery again you did the week before and the week before that and...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join