It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Bear Gryll's Insane?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Death_Kron

originally posted by: Curious69
a reply to: Death_Kron

How smart is it to cross a icy stream with your all your gear on, its getting wet you know and wont keep you warm anymore.
stopping to eat every 2 minutes? well if he is so lucky to find anything edible every 2 minutes, maybe its the magic of editing that makes it look that way,he's not in the wild for just 1 hour you know?
and im pretty sure that he knows what is poisonous and safe to eat, its not like he's munching on poison evy, and insects are eaten many places they are stuffed with protein, and raw flesh are also eaten many places he proberbly get something to kill the parasites that can be in such meat when he returns home, besides its a survival show not master chef.
Climbing to a high vantage point is a chance you take to get home the fastest/safest route, stepping out of bed in the morning is a risk of injury, not knowing where you are going makes you risk having to cross streams/climb walls or having to eat critters for many more days than needed.
if you need really water one of the last resorts is to drink your own piss. brakkish water or water downstream from where a dead animal lies can be deadly, but those issues have been spoken of in the series, it takes a good portion of thirst to squeese the water out of elefant dung and drink it even if its safe.
To me you sound like a armchair survivalist im sure that your coaching skills are superiour to the amateurs in nfl or whatever sport you follow, i know your type.

i.) You don't cross an icy stream unless you ABSOLUTELY have too, every one 'Bear' crosses in his series he could of found another route

ii.) 'every 2 minutes' is a phrase so let's re-phrase that for you, or I'll just quote my original line - "potentially poisonous insects/vermin/raw flesh "

iii.) You don't climb as Bear does with no equipment up steep cliff faces, tree's, dangling over croc infested rivers to gain a vantage point, one slip and your dead or injured... leading to death....

iiii) As a last resort, if it's an absolute last resort, then yes maybe drink your own piss.

iiiii.) I don't watch NFL, I'm not an American

Cheers!

This answers a lot of your questions. It is meant to be an entertainment show about what would happen if you found yourself there with no/limited equipment. Everything he shows is something you might potentially "ABSOLUTELY have to".

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Bear Grills comes from Donaghadee, Northern Ireland. It is a two street village. (OK, maybe three) Of course he is mad!

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

How smart is it to cross a icy stream with your all your gear on, its getting wet you know and wont keep you warm anymore.
stopping to eat every 2 minutes? well if he is so lucky to find anything edible every 2 minutes, maybe its the magic of editing that makes it look that way,he's not in the wild for just 1 hour you know?
and im pretty sure that he knows what is poisonous and safe to eat, its not like he's munching on poison evy, and insects are eaten many places they are stuffed with protein, and raw flesh are also eaten many places he proberbly get something to kill the parasites that can be in such meat when he returns home, besides its a survival show not master chef.
Climbing to a high vantage point is a chance you take to get home the fastest/safest route, stepping out of bed in the morning is a risk of injury, not knowing where you are going makes you risk having to cross streams/climb walls or having to eat critters for many more days than needed.
if you need really water one of the last resorts is to drink your own piss. brakkish water or water downstream from where a dead animal lies can be deadly, but those issues have been spoken of in the series, it takes a good portion of thirst to squeese the water out of elefant dung and drink it even if its safe.
To me you sound like a armchair survivalist im sure that your coaching skills are superiour to the amateurs in nfl or whatever sport you follow, i know your type.

i.) You don't cross an icy stream unless you ABSOLUTELY have too, every one 'Bear' crosses in his series he could of found another route

ii.) 'every 2 minutes' is a phrase so let's re-phrase that for you, or I'll just quote my original line - "potentially poisonous insects/vermin/raw flesh "

iii.) You don't climb as Bear does with no equipment up steep cliff faces, tree's, dangling over croc infested rivers to gain a vantage point, one slip and your dead or injured... leading to death....

iiii) As a last resort, if it's an absolute last resort, then yes maybe drink your own piss.

Cheers!

This answers a lot of your questions. It is meant to be an entertainment show about what would happen if you found yourself there with no/limited equipment. Everything he shows is something you might potentially "ABSOLUTELY have to".

I still think that considering it's marketed as a survival show as opposed to all out entertainment it would be better to show the more sensible techniques as opposed to the complete extremes but like many people have said it's TV.

I prefer Ray Mears by a mile although I do find Bear entertaining, it just seems kinda ironic half of the 'survival' stuff he shows would probably land you up dead.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

"Out here, if you don't eat your own poo......you'll die"

edit on 19-1-2016 by NeoSpartan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think the title of the show explains exactly what it is: "Man Vs. Wild" implies that he sees all of the things that he does as a challenge, not a necessity.

While I enjoy the show for entertainment value, I think his goal--even if unstated--is to do the most extreme thing that he can do to make the viewer cringe instead of doing the sane thing to survive. It's more of an "Xtreme" survival show that contains risks that are unnecessary and that sane survivalists, or people in a real survival situation, would and should not do except for in extreme circumstances.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
I think the title of the show explains exactly what it is: "Man Vs. Wild" implies that he sees all of the things that he does as a challenge, not a necessity.

While I enjoy the show for entertainment value, I think his goal--even if unstated--is to do the most extreme thing that he can do to make the viewer cringe instead of doing the sane thing to survive. It's more of an "Xtreme" survival show that contains risks that are unnecessary and that sane survivalists, or people in a real survival situation, would and should not do except for in extreme circumstances.

That's a good point actually and I agree.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What I don't like so much is how Bear kills animals, and not just insects, but also beautiful wildlife like turtles and other game.
I know lots of people hunt and eat animals, but he's doing it for a friggin' show, not for real survival or traditional use.
Is it really necessary to chase down creatures smaller and slower than you for entertainment?
Anything that's not strictly "endangered" seems fair game.
OK, at least Bear does it quickly, whereas some other shows have novices who really torture these animals to death.

I'm surprised Peta and the anti-hunting lobby haven't been all over these programs.
For true survival yes, but wouldn't a rubber turtle do for a demonstration or television?
He's probably going to eat at the hotel when the filming is done for the day anyway, and isn't he cheapening the lives of those wild animals, which aren't raised commercially or have any regulations to prevent cruelty?
It seems a bit gratuitous - make your TV show, but leave the turtles there for people who may really need them.

His annual deworming regime would be really interesting.
edit on 19-1-2016 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpartan

Most despicably enlightening.
I always wondered what one does in a survivalist situation without flush-toilets, since it's the big mystery.
I just figured he's so busy running about that his body immediately absorbs everything he eats, and thus his digestive functions go on holiday.
I guess it's a week of mouthwash when Bear gets home.
I somehow imagine the romantic reunion with the wife first resulting in an "eew" expression and a cold shoulder.

edit on 19-1-2016 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Is Bear Grylls insane ?

No.

Wealthy ? ...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

He drinks his urine - at least once.

Number two's are a bit of a mystery though ...

Turd eating vermin I'll bet ...

Next Sunday on ... SUXTV !

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Got to love the Bear bashing, if you are watching a TV show like man vs wild to prepare you for survival you probably watched the wolf of Wall Street to guide your pensions investments!

Switch channel and keep your Ray Mears fantasies.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

You gotta love how - when he bites into a particularly moist and bulbous insect, he bites into it , letting the mucous like gut contents ... ooze; seductively down his manly chin ...

50 Shades of Green !

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
Got to love the Bear bashing, if you are watching a TV show like man vs wild to prepare you for survival you probably watched the wolf of Wall Street to guide your pensions investments!

Switch channel and keep your Ray Mears fantasies.

I'm not watching man vs wild to prepare me for survival as I said earlier in the thread I find the show entertaining
edit on 20/1/16 by Death_Kron because: edited for clarity

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Oh my hat, I just saw a preview of Bear Grylls going camping with President Obama!

Did the US President also drink his own pee and eat worms?

I hope he didn't get preferential treatment.

edit on 20-1-2016 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

I guess now we know what a Bear does in the woods.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Cheers!
He needs to cross the icy stream because its a frickin survival show that shows how to handle a situation where you NEED to cross the stream, im sure it would be safer to tell it from the comfort of a armchair instead of actually doing it.
Go eat at a restaurent and you risk salmonella and other vile stuff because somebody preparing your meal just had his hand in his ass and did not care to wash it.
so if you are not equipped to climb walls like a professional rockclimber with hooks/rope and a partner, the advise must be walk in circles and risk dying or just lay down and die because its not safe to climb to get a vantagepoint.
im sure just staying in bed is safer and maybe watch some tv if its not the kind that risks setting the curtains on fire.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Cheers!
He needs to cross the icy stream because its a frickin survival show that shows how to handle a situation where you NEED to cross the stream, im sure it would be safer to tell it from the comfort of a armchair instead of actually doing it.
Go eat at a restaurent and you risk salmonella and other vile stuff because somebody preparing your meal just had his hand in his ass and did not care to wash it.
so if you are not equipped to climb walls like a professional rockclimber with hooks/rope and a partner, the advise must be walk in circles and risk dying or just lay down and die because its not safe to climb to get a vantagepoint.
im sure just staying in bed is safer and maybe watch some tv if its not the kind that risks setting the curtains on fire.

Please re-read;

"
i.) You don't cross an icy stream unless you ABSOLUTELY have too, every one 'Bear' crosses in his series he could of found another route "

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
The guy is insane.

However he has a pair of brass ones on him.

I saw him kill a deer using a tree, shoelaces a pocket knife.

What did he do with the tree and shoelaces if he had a pocket knife?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm toying with the idea of making my very own Bears Grylls style survival show..

Episode one i will demonstrate several different ways how a frozen turd may just save your life...In between demonstration i will regale you with tales of how two hikers once got lost out here, but because they didn't have the foresight to pack a frozen turd, died..

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

I learned a few things from Naked & Afraid. One being how to skin a snake. Never had an interest before, I'd just kill them and toss them as far towards the back of my land as possible. I walked up on my two cats, both fighting a water snake each this past summer. I grabbed my pistol, killed one snake and as the other retreated beneath the porch of my mancave, I tried to grab its tail but it was too fast. I beheaded the one I shot, skinned it, and just so happened to be grilling that day, so I marinated the snake with the chicken for a few hours and grilled it. Turned out to be some of the best tasting meat I've ever eaten. I'll round up a picture shortly.

Edit:

Did brats that evening too.
edit on 27-1-2016 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join