It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Bear Gryll's Insane?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
... --- ...

Hi All,

I realise this has probably been said before and to be completely honest I remember reading a thread or two on a similar topic a while ago, having said that... what is wrong with Bear Gryll's?

I've been watching a lot of his Man Vs Wild series recently the past couple of weeks and ... well they are shocking. Considering they are supposed to be survival programs and he's supposed to be a 'survival expert' nearly everything he doe's is the complete opposite of what you should do; furthermore even someone with no survival knowledge would still at least be able to attest to the above.

Don't get me wrong I do find the guy entertaining and there are a few little nuggets of information in the series that are genuinely useful, I also don't doubt the guys credentials having served in SASR, youngest fella to climb Everest, youngest Chief Scout etc but this perplexes me even more... why would a guy with the aforementioned accolades reduce himself to looking like a pillock?

As a quick example of a few things I find slightly strange;

i.) stripping to being almost naked to cross a seemingly icy and presumably deadly stream/river/waterfall
ii.) stopping every two minutes to eat a multitude of uncooked, potentially poisonous insects/vermin/raw flesh
iii.) climbing to the highest point he can find with a complete disregard to the risk of injury so he can gain a 'vantage point'
iiii.) risk drinking water which you wouldn't give a prisoner

Etc

You kind of get my drift, that's being kind.

So thoughts please?

DK

Edit to add:

Please watch this one if you get chance and see how many errors you can spot;

edit on 18/1/16 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Death_Kron

Man vs. Wild is the reality TV of survival shows. A buddy of mine mentions how he saw a video shoot of the series, staged and fake.

I'll take Less and "Survivorman" any day of the week. Any guy that has to film himself surviving is worth his salt.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Its edited for tv, depending in your training and physical conditioning you can do some things differently. Remember though first and foremost the show is meant to entertain before educate. Read Bears Wiki profile, apparently he's the real deal.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Personally I've always been a fan of Ray Mears, no bull#, no extravagance with real and useful survival tips although I could still pick holes in a few parts in some episodes but overall a lot more genuine and realistic than "Bear"

I've never really watched Survivorman so it's next on my list.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Do a search for Bear Gryll net worth or Bear Gryll salary...

Answers the question quite nicely I might add.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Its edited for tv, depending in your training and physical conditioning you can do some things differently. Remember though first and foremost the show is meant to entertain before educate. Read Bears Wiki profile, apparently he's the real deal.

I said in my OP that I don't doubt the capabilities of Bear, he's proven himself in more ways than one but that makes me wonder why he would star in his own show taking stupid, incorrect and downright dangerous risks.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Do a search for Bear Gryll net worth or Bear Gryll salary...

Answers the question quite nicely I might add.

That wasn't really the point I was making...

But yeah I suppose, it makes him a LOT of cash so fair play

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If urine a quest for gaining knowledge in being self sufficient..

I would avoid anything that Bear has produced..

I don't blame the man for making a buck, but do your research...

Many many more folks out there who want to share knowledge...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The guy is insane.

However he has a pair of brass ones on him.

I saw him kill a deer using a tree, shoelaces a pocket knife.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Very good Jack

I'm questioning why someone who obviously has the skills and experience would produce the urine he does.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

How smart is it to cross a icy stream with your all your gear on, its getting wet you know and wont keep you warm anymore.
stopping to eat every 2 minutes? well if he is so lucky to find anything edible every 2 minutes, maybe its the magic of editing that makes it look that way,he's not in the wild for just 1 hour you know?
and im pretty sure that he knows what is poisonous and safe to eat, its not like he's munching on poison evy, and insects are eaten many places they are stuffed with protein, and raw flesh are also eaten many places he proberbly get something to kill the parasites that can be in such meat when he returns home, besides its a survival show not master chef.
Climbing to a high vantage point is a chance you take to get home the fastest/safest route, stepping out of bed in the morning is a risk of injury, not knowing where you are going makes you risk having to cross streams/climb walls or having to eat critters for many more days than needed.
if you need really water one of the last resorts is to drink your own piss. brakkish water or water downstream from where a dead animal lies can be deadly, but those issues have been spoken of in the series, it takes a good portion of thirst to squeese the water out of elefant dung and drink it even if its safe.
To me you sound like a armchair survivalist im sure that your coaching skills are superiour to the amateurs in nfl or whatever sport you follow, i know your type.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

We have more than one on ATS who are worth a listen. Or read...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I don't get someone who embraces taking risks... we all may have to, but, if properly trained and familiar with the basics of self reliance, a comfortable understanding of nature in our area, most of those risks can be totally avoided...

There's a reason why I don't live in a desert, jungle etc.... that's a difficult life...

I like the resources I have available here in the Shenandoah valley, should crap hit the fan....

I try each year to learn more about my surroundings, and how they can help me in an emergency scenario..

We get plenty of opportunities, with the weather, be it summer winter fall or spring, when our comfort of electricity, road travel, water becomes a challenge....

Preparation is the key, knowing your environment, and understanding how to do without comforts... and ride out the outages...

I think that would apply to folks across the land, know the risks, know the potential limitations of your conveniences no matter the area of the globe urine..

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Curious69

How smart is it to cross a icy stream with your all your gear on, its getting wet you know and wont keep you warm anymore.
stopping to eat every 2 minutes? well if he is so lucky to find anything edible every 2 minutes, maybe its the magic of editing that makes it look that way,he's not in the wild for just 1 hour you know?
and im pretty sure that he knows what is poisonous and safe to eat, its not like he's munching on poison evy, and insects are eaten many places they are stuffed with protein, and raw flesh are also eaten many places he proberbly get something to kill the parasites that can be in such meat when he returns home, besides its a survival show not master chef.
Climbing to a high vantage point is a chance you take to get home the fastest/safest route, stepping out of bed in the morning is a risk of injury, not knowing where you are going makes you risk having to cross streams/climb walls or having to eat critters for many more days than needed.
if you need really water one of the last resorts is to drink your own piss. brakkish water or water downstream from where a dead animal lies can be deadly, but those issues have been spoken of in the series, it takes a good portion of thirst to squeese the water out of elefant dung and drink it even if its safe.
To me you sound like a armchair survivalist im sure that your coaching skills are superiour to the amateurs in nfl or whatever sport you follow, i know your type.

i.) You don't cross an icy stream unless you ABSOLUTELY have too, every one 'Bear' crosses in his series he could of found another route

ii.) 'every 2 minutes' is a phrase so let's re-phrase that for you, or I'll just quote my original line - "potentially poisonous insects/vermin/raw flesh "

iii.) You don't climb as Bear does with no equipment up steep cliff faces, tree's, dangling over croc infested rivers to gain a vantage point, one slip and your dead or injured... leading to death....

iiii) As a last resort, if it's an absolute last resort, then yes maybe drink your own piss.

iiiii.) I don't watch NFL, I'm not an American

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
He's nowhere near as clued up as Mears.

Stay away from his products too. My girlfriend is a senior sister in an A&E department and had to work on 2 kids over the summer that bought the filter straws for a camping trip then contracted hepatitis from using it to drink river water.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn

I don't get someone who embraces taking risks... we all may have to, but, if properly trained and familiar with the basics of self reliance, a comfortable understanding of nature in our area, most of those risks can be totally avoided...

There's a reason why I don't live in a desert, jungle etc.... that's a difficult life...

I like the resources I have available here in the Shenandoah valley, should crap hit the fan....

I try each year to learn more about my surroundings, and how they can help me in an emergency scenario..

We get plenty of opportunities, with the weather, be it summer winter fall or spring, when our comfort of electricity, road travel, water becomes a challenge....

Preparation is the key, knowing your environment, and understanding how to do without comforts... and ride out the outages...

I think that would apply to folks across the land, know the risks, know the potential limitations of your conveniences no matter the area of the globe urine..

Well said, thanks for that.

Would it of killed you to post in the first instance or was you taking the urine out of me? Perhaps?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I've seen him jump off a cliff into muddy water a few times.Swimming down into a cave has to be downright deadly,too.

As you say,he certainly has the qualifications but if you copy him....you may not survive.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Death_Kron
That wasn't really the point I was making...

You asked a question, I gave you the answer...

Most lunatics that I know of don't live in £30 million flats or buy their own private islands off the coast of Wales.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

We have more than one on ATS who are worth a listen. Or read...

Yes, I only watched 1 episode. the one with Obama on it. A few times, even from just reading reading of the survival forum on here I was like "Should you really be doing that?" .

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Bear is legit. but the stuff he does is not base line survival tactics. it's about an adrenaline rush and ratings more than anything. A lot of the stuff he does is the opposite of what you would really do if you really wanted to take a rational approach to survival. That would be to never take risks that you can avoid without jeopardizing your survival.

He does know his survival stuff but good survival is usually boring and does not make good TV. They do stage stuff. there is no point in actually enduring survival situations when you or your crew do not have to. Besides he has paid his dues. Meaning he has done the stuff that they stage (like staying the night in an ice shelter) why should he do it again when he doesn't have to? I'd high tail it for a hotel too if given the choice. it does not mean i cannot construct, use and survive in various types of survival shelter.
edit on 18-1-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join