It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
My take?? ... Black folks need to stop caring what white folks do or don't do, if they include us in their story telling the bottom line is they are doing us a favor or ill favor depending on plot and character development, and that includes celebrations or recognition , we have talent in front of and behind the camera , we have the money, there are millionaires and billionaires in the U.S the Caribbean and Africa that folks interested in creating great material can look to for investment there is also Gofundme type places to get additional $$ there are thousands of stories to tell, other than the old played out
Slave narrative:
The Hood Narrative:
Blackmen abusive to their women narrative:
Segregation Narrative:
Magical Kneegrow narrative:

All the above got Oscar nods, and Im sure they deserved their place, but it's about time Blackfolks revisit Oscar Micheaux's legacy and mindset www.biography.com..., of doing for self and celebrating our own regardless of what anyone else is doing I say it's time for the

Ptah Awards
not out of rebellion or spite against Oscar but for the recognition for works that the 5000 virtually all white Academy members may not be able to relate to

94% white, 77% male, 86% age 50 or older, and has a median age of 62.
en.wikipedia.org...

My personal wish list of films I want made.
Shades Of Memnon : fantasy adventure.author Greg Walker.
Imaro The Quest For Cush:fantasy adventure.author Charles Saunders.
Any one of Africa's ancient civilizations including but not limited to
Kmt
Kush
Axum.
The Black Jacobins ,story of the Haitian revolution .History book author CLR James.
PRINCE OF DARKNESS; Historical figure
The Untold Story of Jeremiah G. Hamilton, Wall Street’s First Black Millionaire. author Shane White.

These are just some off the top of my head but I cannot imagine Hollyweird as it is set up today produce any of the above.

edit on 22-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Didn't Denzel Washington get some lifetime achievement award at the Golden Globes?

I thought that was weird. Strictly as an actor, I don't find him that great. He's the exact same person in every single movie.

Kind of like Owen Wilson or Jason Statham.

Not even close. He's got a pretty solid range. There is zero comparison between these roles (all of which Denzel knocked right out of the park)
-The Manchurian Candidate: A paranoid conspiracy theorist
-Remember the Titans: A strong willed, intelligent, and very motivational football coach
-Training Day: A crooked LAPD cop )essentially the black version of Harvey Keitel's Bad Lieutenant role.)
-Malcom X: NAILED this historical role
-The Equalizer Played a vigilante with a very calm demeanor
-Crimson Tide: A Naval Lt. Commander of a submarine
-The Hurricane: Another historic figure movie which he nailed perfectly
-The Book of Eli: Played a blind prophet in a post apocalyptic world

He's demonstrated the acting chops in pretty much every genre except horror and comedy.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The Oscars are just a back slapping club anyway.
Real cinematic art is better recognised at the Cannes Film festival.

The Oscars always struck me as a bunch of folks telling each other how great they all were.

So it probably fits that some people are whining about feeling left out, and none of them are doing REAL art.
edit on 05pFri, 22 Jan 2016 04:02:05 -060020162016-01-22T04:02:05-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 48pFri, 22 Jan 2016 05:02:48 -060020162016-01-22T05:02:48-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Real cinematic artspelling is better recognised at the Cannes Film festival.

The Oscars always struck me as a bunch of folks telling each other how great they all were.

So it probably fits that some people are whining about feeling left out, and none of them are doing REAL art.

I think it's a lil bit more than back slapping that Oscar usually mean higher pay checks, more opportunities for actors and behind the scenes folks plus easier funding the next time around.
edit on 22-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

CMT?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Well Spike Lee just called for a quota for minorities in the Oscar nominees...

I get that maybe the Academy need more minorities for voting but give me a break why do we have to hammer race issues into everything and anything. Not that the Oscars are taken seriously anyways but a quota would really make it stupid.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Real cinematic art is better recognised at the Cannes Film festival.

Yeah Cannes, Sundance, TIFF, Vail, Tribeca, SXSW, Berlin..... I look out for movies that get great reviews and plaudits at these and I literally give zero ***** about the Oscars or the Golden Globes.
Just not even remotely interesting at all

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Well Spike Lee just called for a quota for minorities in the Oscar nominees...

I get that maybe the Academy need more minorities for voting but give me a break why do we have to hammer race issues into everything and anything. Not that the Oscars are taken seriously anyways but a quota would really make it stupid.

A quota? It's 2016, not 1975. Grow up. As of now they have ZERO evidence that race has anything to do with any of the decisions made by the Oscar people, so their boycott is pointless. Pointing out some baseless race statistic that happened to be that way ONE YEAR is complete nonsense. The people making accusations based on ONLY race are the racist ones here. If next year, African Americans are over represented and have a larger percentage of nominees than white, are they going to complain?
edit on 1 22 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Anytime something about Hollywood comes up, it's a waste of time, IMO. Whiny actor's problems are pretty low on the list of US and world problems that need to be addressed.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Seriously, he called for a quota?

So in his mind actors should be awarded not for their performances, but just for the sake of being a minority?

IMO this type of pity is a big slap in the face to every black actor in history, worse then Bruce Jenner being named Woman of the Year over real women all over the world who face hardships their entire life fighting for equality.
edit on 22-1-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The Oscars panel has decided to add three new governorship seats immediately and double the minority and female members by 2020.

So basically, even though no minorities did a good enough job to get a vote, they'll be certain to "win" some awards now. Good job guys, you're all millionaires and act like spoiled bitches just because you got beat out by someone of another race. Un freaking believable. Maybe the silent majority will boycott the now completely worthless Oscars next time. I'll never understand why people will sink low enough to be given something they didn't earn. If I was a black actor, I'd be livid because now I'm not sure I really earned my award.

edit on 22-1-2016 by LSU0408 because: LG G3 auto correcting

edit on 22-1-2016 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Well said!

I know Morgan Freeman would agree.

And an Actor i enjoy watching more-so because he unlike many others today still has his common sense intact!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I like Freeman as well. I can't believe Hollywood actors are still acting like someone would NOT nominate a black simply because he's black. Can't get much more ig'nernt than that. I guess the black entertainment television awards aren't good enough for black entertainers.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: sk126

CMT?

Country Music Television reaches out to country music singers, they aren't exclusive to whites only.
Black Entertainment Television reaches out to black entertainers, that are exclusive to black entertainers.

Hopefully you can see the difference.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Honestly, the quality of everything to do with Hollywood no matter what ethnicity we're talking about has fallen off

dont underestimate its full potential

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Sometimes I wonder if these black folk are actually harming themselves.....as in....not best person for the job, award etc but they just want recognition for merely turning up!!

Seriously....refer to Michael Caine and Charlotte Ramplings comments which I approve

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: sk126

CMT?

Country Music Television reaches out to country music singers, they aren't exclusive to whites only.
Black Entertainment Television reaches out to black entertainers, that are exclusive to black entertainers.

Hopefully you can see the difference.

You know we kool right?? so man lemme holla at you real quick,.. pls no matter what you think you know do a lil research first before leading with your gut feelings..just saying.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Let this be a lesson on what happens when Will Smith doesn't get enough atta boys.

(In my best TV charity voice)

We can prevent these tragedies in the future by remembering one simple thing, thank Will Smith for being alive.

If we all band together and give Will the ego boost he so desperately needs, these tragic situations can be a thing of the past

So give, give your gratitude to a man who is so amazing he rises and sleeps under his own shadow.

Call now and we'll also see that Spike Lee get's a pat on the back every day at lunch.

edit on 22-1-2016 by SteeBoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
What I don't understand is why we all care what Hollywood thinks/wants. They rely on US to pay money to see their movies. If it wasn't for the fans, none of them would have a job.

If not for "Hollywood" you wouldnt have a life there Snuggles.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is not a Black issue, this is an entitlement issue amongst mediocre actors feeling as though they deserve the best.
This is all trivial and meaningless..These are rich people problems! When these actors have everything money can buy they greed more. Boycotters like Pinkett & Lee are taking racism (a real social issue) and using it to prop their own ego's and boost their images which is despicable because it invalidates true acts of racism. This only leads to race baiting and further division between us all. Most Blacks will tell you that this is a non issue. With police brutality, unemployment, and lack of education in our communities there are greater things to worry about. I have bills to pay and animals to feed I don't have time to worry about the problems of millionaires. Especially not when people (of all races) are facing real, violent hate crimes everyday in this country every minute. But I'm supposed to get angry because a millionaire didn't get a gold-plated trophy?

I would not want an award if the awarding party was guilted or coerced into doing it. It doesn't make it an award. These boycotting actors are elite Blacks that are well known for excluding other Blacks out of their precious inner circles but expect the support of the ones they believe they are better than just because our skin color is the same. This is an issue that is not my fight.

This also begs the question: Are we being distracted?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join