It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
I think some may have been passed over due to skin color, but not all. Just the some part is enough to complain.

On the other hand, it almost seems some have been nominated and won because of skin color. I honestly struggle to explain Whoopi's best supporting actress win for her role as Oda Mae Brown in Ghost.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
White people generally dont sing soul, rap or r&b songs. Bieber, Eminem and Sam Smith have been nominated for BET awards but didnt win.

But i think a lot of people are missing the point of Spike's and Jada's gripe. Black folks do get quality roles but are often overlooked for other roles that somehow dont measure up in performance (and i admit bias). But i figured something was up when denzel got overlooked for playing Malcolm X, but was awarded for his portrayal of Alonzo, which also happened to be the same year Halle was awarded for playing a hillbilly's whore. The next award didnt come until people acting out the roles of a slave and a maid. I think this encourages typecasting.

But this is hollywood and these circle jerk celebrations do not surprise me. Black folks know whats up, i just wish they would stop trying so hard to be included and make the celebrations they engage in legitimate, instead of the buck dancing-bojangling-fests they are.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

For example, I'm sure the NFL isn't happy about Will Smith's movie, "Concussion." I'm sure they don't want it to get any more attention than possible as they gear up for the Super Bowl in a couple weeks... Lots of folks making lots of money off this game. Can't have reality mucking up the works.

Good point.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

It's all garbage. Hollyweird is turning out garbage.

The only decent movie in the last year was "Bridge of Spies". Hanks saved Hollyweird by a hair

Haven't seen "Trumbo" yet, so I can't comment on it, but it looks good.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Who cares about Spike Lee?? he awakes up every morning thinking about who is he going to attack and call a racist! he is a racist himself!

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I even remember how he dissed Django Unchained!!! Eat it Spike Lee!

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Time to boycott Football, basketball, and any other black dominated sport. /sarcasm smh

This is why bigotry and racism will never die.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: doclec

Denzel absolutely deserved to get nominated for malcolm x. That was one of the best performances I've seen in any movie. Everything from the way he talked to his mannerisms were perfect.

I dunno what other films came out that year, whoever won it was maybe just as deserving..or maybe not.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: reldra

I think Blacks are happy for Whites who win. Doesn't mean there isn't a separate issue of Blacks being mainly ignored in the awards.

But it begs the question, are they being passed over because they are Black, or because another film or actor was better?

That's the whole thing. In their mind they should be picked simply because they ARE black.. talent and skill be damned! Just another example of their illogical thinking.
edit on 1/19/2016 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

if they have BET awards then why cant there be a white version? then an Asian version (which is mostly Bollywood anyway)

if you want name things Black this and Black that, then why cant there be White This and White That.

its either all wrong or all right. No in betwen

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Tsubaki

Excellent point! It's even like life is mimicking TV. I mean, when I walk down the street I see way more white people. Obviously we should send white people out of the country until everything is equal!

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

It's all garbage. Hollyweird is turning out garbage.

That's something we all agree on

I still haven't seen that Mad Max movie, i should watch that one.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think that it's a great idea.

But it won't impress me unless they also boycott future movies being made by this racist industry.

So perhaps it's time for blacks to make their own movies and reap their own rewards.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I thought this was suppose to be about acting, not skin color and the perception of entitlement.

It is. That's the problem. But it shows the glaring absurdity of "diversity", namely, that skin color isn't a valid unit of measure when it comes to skill, performance or value.

Maybe J. Smith should have cried a little harder and ran a little harder in After Earth...so far he hasn't shown his potential and just because his dad has been very successful, the Oscars are not handed out to just anyone. Furthermore, the Illuminati control who wins and loses.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Really? Skin color still an issue? Well, I am not going there (too late
). I suggest MORE BETTER "non-white" actors & actresses. Calm the F down. You cant take yer Oscar from this dimension when you die.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sad day for MLK. Using your skin color to jockey for an oscar. For one guy. By his wife, lmao.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

Jada being salty because hubby didn't get nominated for Concussion - I just realized that

ETA: and their son Jaden being used as a pawn/puppet to help with confusing kids about gender identity
can't forget that

The Smiths are "illuminati confirmed" IMO
edit on 19-1-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Not sure how linked they are to illuminati, but they are big-time Hollywood royalty. They can't believe that they don't get an oscar, just because they are who they are. They're sure that somebody's supposed to simply hand one to daddy, mommy, and their little asexual kid. Play whatever scam is needed if anyone disagrees; first time out it's racism.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It does look strange.
Creed got nominations for the white writers and supporting actor, the only white guy in the movie.
No noms in the last 2 years for any person of colour?
Not saying its deliberate but its odd.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I totally believe that different cultures are better than others in certain things. This is obvious from all the stereotypes that exist. Of course not every individual fits the glove but we all know it's true in general.

You would associate the French with fine quisine, because they are really into it and it's their culture.
You associate the Germans in general with being efficient or on time, but not so good at music maybe. I am definitively a stereotypical German in my actions.

So black people are good at sport. We all know that, it's what they like doing, it's what they are good at but maybe they are just not so much into acting. It may just not be their thing in general.

What will happen is that less black people become actors and maybe there is so little interest, that we are glad to have any talent at all. There are more white people and more white people who really want to act but their competition is high because of that. Stiff competition means you have to work extra hard, therefore I would expect more white nominees.
It's pure logic.

I know that if you are really into something and your whole community is brought up on this, like football [soccer], kids from the slums can become mega stars because they are so good at it.

We don't know for sure that they are not nominated because of their colour, that's just a theory. My own sister has this problem, where she believes something and makes up her mind about it and then treats you accordingly, even if she is completely wrong and you have no idea what her beef is with you.

Black people are helped in every way of life, more than others. Why? Are they disabled or incapable? I personally don't think so, and therefore would like to treat them just like anyone else. Which means I can tell them that their acting is just not up to the competitions standard. Work on it or accept that it may just not be for the majority of black people.

I have seen black people treated like gods in sport. They surely must have a weakness too, maybe it's acting?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join