It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update on Sarah Parcak Satellite archaeologist + TED Prize winner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Remember this from a few years back - she uncovered 3100 tombs and pyramids in Egypt. Seems she has been using the satellite since yet does not disclose any further finds. Interesting to watch - ironically when they ask her a question at #6:22 she seems to avoid it and give what seems to be scripted answer

www.youtube.com...

Looks like they have discovered traces of mass civilization all over the planet - for an archaeologist to state "even where i tell them they will find nothing - they do..." and then to avoid the question he poses so quickly .... seems strange.

I think that they thought they would look over the world for any un discovered sites - see how many they could find and go and "claim" them... they have then realized there are way too many.... Until she finds them all she has to keep searching for them, she is even trying to not find them and cant seem to stop uncovering new sites! They let her win the TED prize to keep her cool with searching all day and not digging anything up.

Maybe? Maybe Not.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
At first I read "Sarah Palin" and thought "Oh god... what does she consider herself now? a satellite archaeologist?"

Fortunately, that parallel universe applies to a different one than this.

I've heard of satellite archaeology before, and it's awesome! Such a mind-blowingly useful tool.

Thanks for the update

Here's your video:

(you need to use the letters in the URL of the youtube video that are after the "watch?v=" part. In this case the letters are "vK2t27FNJmU", so you embed them within the ATS Youtube code for it which is #yvid# #/yvid# but with "[" and "]" instead of "#" and "#")
edit on 18/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Pretty amazing.

I'm sure that, with enough time, a slew of discoveries will be made all over.

Even with the eye you can see some details you wouldn't normally see on the ground.

look at this.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
btw if you want to look. here's Tanis on Google Maps.

tedconfblog.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Here's her TED talk video.

edit on 18-1-2016 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The teeny tiny problem is when they've tried to test some of her 3100 Egyptian tombs, quite a lot of them simply are not there.

Saw a documentary recently where they dug 5 of her 'best' targets in Egypt, and every single one of them turned out to be an oddly geometric natural formation.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TurboT
Remember this from a few years back - she uncovered 3100 tombs and pyramids in Egypt. Seems she has been using the satellite since yet does not disclose any further finds. Interesting to watch - ironically when they ask her a question at #6:22 she seems to avoid it and give what seems to be scripted answer

That might be because she's uncomfortable OR because they edited things. I don't watch videos (takes too long) but that's two reasons that might make it appear odd. They might also have fed her a list of questions earlier.

Looks like they have discovered traces of mass civilization all over the planet

No. It really would have been totally evident to everyone (even back in the 1800's) if that were the case.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

She states "everywhere we look we find something, even in areas where i tell the team they wont"

and archaeologist know the most unlikely places that people would have lived - it seems that even in these areas they are finding traces of buildings and towns.

"No. It really would have been totally evident to everyone (even back in the 1800's) if that were the case"
^ how would they have been able to detect things under the ground back in the 1800's.

I think 99% of ancient mans stone works are under ground - if man had the ability to cut and shape massive stones to the degree it seems they did have - how much easier would it have been to dig out stone under the ground ?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Where is this doc?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TurboT

I remember this lady, very interesting use of the technology though it has to be said that the Military were doing it decades before she ever learned to use it in this way.

There was a story I read back in the 80's about an algorythm based program that had been put into a US mainframe dedicated to analysing images during the Cold war which was meant to detect disguised soviet installation's, it was however too successful and was instead detecting ancient ruin's but being top secret this information was never publicly disclosed, the story get's spicier though as apparently when the same program was run on Moon imagery taken by the apollo orbiters and mars orbiter imagery it also returned positive results for artificial structures, apparently it also identified road networks in many parts of the world were these road's simple led to areas were the terrain appeared to have been devastated in ancient time's, I can not remember the book but it always stuck in my mind as I felt this was true and years later tried my own luck with google earth but with the whole problem of Analog compression artifacts, plus my mind probably not being as good as a computer I had limited success except for some potential sites in the arctic, one about the size of los angeles near a bay on the arctic ocean with an what looked like an apparent criss crossed grid pattern and several streight semi contiguous but broken line's leading away from it but which may have been cold war mark's left on the tundra there but that still asked my amateur mind what I was seeing on that old version of Google earth (now it is just green tundra or has it been wiped off.

new topics

top topics

join