It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: xuenchen
The debate participants should be more prepared to challenge lies and fibs by other candidates.
But it would be neat to have a panel of "checkers" right there to push some buttons !!
originally posted by: schuyler
The problem is that fact checking is not just a matter of looking up something to see whether it is "true" or not. It involves endless argument, particularly for controversial subjects. Just one example.
1. Indianapolis had a record number of murders last year.
2. That's what you get with lax gun control. Congratulations.
3. Wait. Chicago has strict gun controls and twice as many murders.
4. Yeah, but you have to factor in the population.
5. OK. Factor in the total population and murders are very much lower.
These kinds of "facts" and arguments cannot be resolved within the real-time nature of a debate in a few seconds. They move way too fast.