It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danville Officer Thomas Cottrell Shot Dead, Weapon and Cruiser Stolen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well, this is just not good news; I was JUST reading about how many officers were ambushed in 2015 and went back to check a source and found this...

A police officer was found dead in Ohio with his gun and cruiser missing, authorities said early Monday.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol had deployed extra units and aviation resources after the Danville officer was reported missing and possibly wounded late Sunday.

Officer Thomas Cottrell was found dead without his service weapon or cruiser just before midnight, according to the Knox County Sheriff's department.

L I N K

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A lot of people are sick of going to jail for smoking pot.

A lot of people are sick of the obvious corruption by judges and DAs.

Not all police are bad but they will get the direction of all this anger because they are the tip of the spear.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I suppose if one uses pot, use it in the privacy of your own home; dont use it in public and dont carry it on you if there is a chance of being ped checked and terry frisked. No substance, no jail time, right?

I think that a simple marijuana charge is arguably inadequate, in comparison to an Officers execution. I know, I know, here come the LEO haters and the doors are open; just dont derail and go all B L M me

My point is that the officer was executed. Regardless of your like/dislike, we all need the Police at least once in our lifetime.

edit on 18-1-2016 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The few always cause more trouble than the many.

Cannabis-Induced Bipolar Disorder with Psychotic Features

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Agreed, well this is certainly intersting; from your source

Mr. X was a 21-year-old, African-American man who presented to our facility for his second psychiatric hospitalization. He was discharged one week prior after a 30-day stay with a diagnosis of cannabis-induced psychotic disorder. He started using cannabis shortly afterward and became symptomatic with more pronounced delusions and psychotic behavior. He was brought to the Greater Binghamton Health Center (GBHC), Binghamton, New York, for exhibiting hostile and grandiose behavior at a local deli where he refused to pay for his meal because he had “nine billion dollars” in his bank account. He had pressured speech, racing thoughts, flight of ideas, insomnia, and delusions of grandeur that he “owns this hospital” and worked as a “successful rap artist.”

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Not all police are bad but they will get the direction of all this anger because they are the tip of the spear.

Except the guy they've got in custody has an extensive criminal history involving burglary and stolen property, and possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs. So let's not spin this as some poor dope smoker that got popped for a dime bag and that set him off.

The suspect's ex girlfriend had called police and told them the suspect had armed himself and was planning to try and kill a cop.

A lot of people are tired of people going to jail for weed. Including law enforcement. A lot of people are also tired of seeing the "well stop locking people up for weed" card played when it's not really applicable.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Ohio has had the most lax weed laws since it was scheduled. It's always been a misdemeanor under an ounce. I grew up in Knox county, it's quite rural.

Murder is not justifiable because you feel impingement on your freedom by a law. Terrible response to conflate the two issues. This officer was someone's son, brother and perhaps father

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

You've never been turned down for jobs because of a background check, or experienced the court system, or been beaten or the many other various things that people are struggling with that no one seems to care about...

All of these issues have been on the table for years and people are getting so sick and the economy is so bad that everyone is snapping.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Clearly I'm not justifying this crime I'm just not surprised by it.

God give me a break will you?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

As bad as the stupid race thing.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

A lot of people are criminals

A lot of cops are sick and tired if dealing with degenerates or people looking for the easy or criminal path in life..

Not all people are criminals but.....

See that is what is wrong with the ATS criminals are not to blame crowd, they forget life is a two way street.

Here is a simple solution to not being denied a job because a background check shows something.. Don't break the law. I know it's never the criminals fault though..

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Do police cruisers typically have some kind of "tracking device" / GPS, like a lot of company trucks/cars have? I guess it's a dumb question, as they probably either don't, or it's easy to disable, or else they'd have already found the cruiser at least. It should not be possible to get hold of a police cruiser for more than a few minutes before being located and on your way to surrender (or the alternative to surrender if one so chooses.)

Sad about the officer and his family. Also sad that most of the replies so far have gone more or less completely off-topic.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

A lot of cops are also tired of having to enforce bull# laws as well.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

So true, I gave the thread a flag and you a star because of your excellent reply!

edit on 18-1-2016 by AlaskanDad because: lot of typos

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Agreed. Condolences to his family.

Bad cops, cops. Bad people, good people. It matters, of course to talk about nuance when there is nuance. Sometimes though a bad person kills a good cop and in the first place we shouldn't applaud the murder of a bad cop either.

We can't trade one apathy for a different one. Going from not caring about slain small-bit weed dealers, black people, anyone not rich, white and Christian to not caring about slain cops because they hold a badge like the cop who shot and killed an unarmed kid.

How is it not just as repugnant to the notion of fair trials and appropriate sentencing? It's not.

It's one bigotry in place of another.

This isn't the way to move forward, to talk about solving the deep rooted issues underneath all of it. All it does is further solidify that there sides in an evolving war.

I've become afraid of cops, distrustful and angry, that's no secret... it's my bigotry, something I've never experienced before but I also have a working critical brain and I know that I can't let it become part of who I am. None of us can.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

O.Q. I assume you are asking me a question. I am quite sure that we have all been turned down for job opportunities, once or twice; I have a clear background; I have ALOT of experience in the courtroom. I choose to make sound decisions and to be a law abiding citizen.

Others chose a different pathway. Some may just have very bad luck and are surrounded by others who are bad influences.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Our dept at one time voted down the GPS systems; an incident like this one brought it back up and now we have tracking devices on all emergency vehicles.

No question is a dumb question Dog

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

A lot of cops are also tired of having to enforce bull# laws as well.

I stared you for this O.Q. in my town, we buy officers lunch or dinner when we see them; tell them thanks and we appreciate their work. It isn't like they are dealing with people with 800 credit ratings and perfect backgrounds.

It is because of the people (and actions of those 'bad-apples') in the community that police are needed, after all.

Many times we forget the Sull Bhit that LEO have to deal w/on a daily basis.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

You've never been turned down for jobs because of a background check, or experienced the court system, or been beaten or the many other various things that people are struggling with that no one seems to care about...

All of these issues have been on the table for years and people are getting so sick and the economy is so bad that everyone is snapping.

You may not be justifying it, but you're certainly willing to make excuses for it. Being "sick" of something doesn't mean go out and kill someone.
edit on 18-1-2016 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join