It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After having done all that work for free, get stabbed in the back

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Normally I don't rant, but now's the time. I had this volunteering job as an accountant at a small foudnation. Done so much work. Noticed some shi**y behaviour in the past but didn't tank them.

Now got an email that, whereas almost nothing was happening re accounting, the needed "more continuity". They're fully aware that my mother recently died and my cat. Never did they ask me when I would feel fit again to do some work. Or had time to meet me in my darkest hours.

So they asked me if I want to show the person who is going to do it (FOR MONEY) the ropes.

Nope. It's all there in the system. They have this person in the board who's supposed to know his debit from his credit. Let him figure it out.

I respectfully flip the bird at them!

I do other non accounting volunteering once in a while and will continue to do so. As to new volunteering, don't think so. Pay me. O what? I can't get a job because I'm almost 44 (true!). Fine. I am enjoying my days while being on the dole.

Rant over.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: QueenofWeird

Very sorry to hear that you were mistreated. It was nice of you to volunteer your time and services, but it doesn't sound like it was reciprocated.

Don't let it ruin other volunteering opportunities though - don't let one bad egg ruin the whole batch, there are plenty of great causes and organizations out there that I'm sure would treat you much better.

They sound like they only want you because they need you and weren't appreciative or caring about your situation. You're doing the right thing, wishing you positivity

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Thanks, but the moment an organization realizes that you also want to have a volunteer job to keep up your experience, they have the upper hand. So when it comes to the other volunteering, it's for the Food Bank as it's called here in Holland. I and others have a stand in a supermarket and we ask for donations of food. Has nothing to do with my work, my not having a job and so on. Now I've the upper hand.

Everything is about power. Wish it wasn't but that's reality.

edit on 18-1-2016 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You were used. I'm so sorry. It's obvious you're a generous person, that you gave of your time for free. They took advantage of that generosity. I totally don't blame you for ignoring their request to train your paid replacement. I wouldn't even dignify it with an answer.

OR... you could offer to do it for a VERY LARGE SUM OF MONEY. (Like, add up how much they would owe you if they'd paid you a fair amount for all you did, add in some for interest on the 'loan' of your services, plus contract fee for training their new employee, etc etc...

See how the like them apples!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I would rant if I were in your shoes!
In fact, my rant would have been uglier, and I would have done it in front of the new paid guy.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

You were used. I'm so sorry. It's obvious you're a generous person, that you gave of your time for free. They took advantage of that generosity. I totally don't blame you for ignoring their request to train your paid replacement. I wouldn't even dignify it with an answer.

OR... you could offer to do it for a VERY LARGE SUM OF MONEY. (Like, add up how much they would owe you if they'd paid you a fair amount for all you did, add in some for interest on the 'loan' of your services, plus contract fee for training their new employee, etc etc...

"Yeah I'll do that for ...... a million and a pizza and a pack of cigarettes and a pony and a castle and a...."

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: QueenofWeird

originally posted by: new_here

"Yeah I'll do that for ...... a million and a pizza and a pack of cigarettes and a pony and a castle and a...."

That's the spirit!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Well, if this group is charity based, I see no sense in having a paid participant, that's the thin edge of the wedge.
That's how so many of the very big charities ended up so top heavy, with only pennies in the pound going to the actual charities, back a while, I'm not so sure if it's much better now.
I would suggest Lion's International clubs who are all over the world, and 100% of any money raised goes direct to where it's needed. The Lion's take in many major world projects, as well as those in the locale...that's the beauty of it.
The local Lions clubs in Cumbria helped in the floods in Cumbria recently, (sometimes it was reported as the Rotary clubs)
In my club, it's a retired bank manager who does all the accounting, and, as you can imagine, acts as treasurer, and has done this since 1984, when he was still working at the bank. This makes our organisation very transparent. Look up your most local club, it might even help your whole outlook!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Nope not charity based, just a construction made to being paid as creditor and not an employee.

Anyway.....

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

This happens more often than you think. People who are in management or authority neglect to appreciate the work that people volunteer to do without pay.

This has also happened to me. My feelings about it are just like yours, screw them. If they ever call me to volunteer or do any outside work on their behalf, they're not going to like hearing my response.

A lot of people in this world like to use people for their own gain. Don't feel bad, what comes around goes around. I believe Karma will be their ultimate pay back.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

People want te be appreciated for their efforts, regardless if they are being payed or not. So, in that respect, they did not treat you well and I'm sorry for that. I know this may sound obvious, but - I assume you applied for the job? If not, you might still consider it. Sometimes it's staring them in the face but they still don't see it. And you could do with the money, I guess.

Give it a try, you never know.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

Wouldn't be enough money
And anyways, thanks but NO THANKS.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Well I had a feeling this crap was about to happen and lo and behold. Just discussing this here makes me feel a lot better!
So thank you all

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Why don't they pay you instead of this other person? You already know the company and system. Sound like typical sh**bags that many of us meet / have to deal with in the course of our lives...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: uktorah
Why don't they pay you instead of this other person? You already know the company and system. Sound like typical sh**bags that many of us meet / have to deal with in the course of our lives...

I don't know....Apparently "they decided". Because I haven't been available due to death mother and cat....even though NOTHING happens in that foundation. They just wanted to ditch me, also shortly before my birthday....

Douchebags 1 on 1.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I've been there-I still haven't received a full summers paycheck from from a boss because I was friends with his partner. Three months on a tin roof for next to nothing.

But that doesn't compare to the time did some volunteer work for a well known and respected organization.

One of my jobs was to clean electrical goods and then I was promoted to what could be called the 'Bradbury level' where every book that looked like it might offend god it went in the bin. Goosebumps, Science magazines... I had the throw out trash bags full of books. Then there was the workshop. I got conjunctivitis more then once because of the amount of dust in the backroom, the lunch room...This reputable organization also had a funny way of determining the worth of an object, for a company that receives products for nothing they sure know what items are the most valuable.

I walked away from the organization and then a few weeks my former 'boss' accosted me on the street and waved a verbal finger at me while trying to administer a self righteous guilt trip on me-which I ignored.

Now I am charitable in my own way-I donate some of my time to helping those in need and give money to people who need it. Unlike some I'm not trying to buy a ticket to heaven.
edit on 18-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Also because you do it for free some take you to be an idiot.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I've done hundreds of hours of volunteer work, and I usually got treated like #.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

lol, that's actually a funny bit of trivia... when I heard you mention the word 'dole', I thought you must be an Aussie or a pom. I suppose most Europeans translate there English though British slang though, which kind of makes sense.

Anyway, I'd never personally work for free for anyone! I have respect for people that can, but I just can't personally bring myself to do it.

They tried to force me on some 'work for the dole' program about 6 months ago when I was living in the unemployment capital of Australia by threatening to cut off my payments if I didn't... I've got to be honest, I completely flipped out!

I told the women threatening to cut my payments off that she better hope its not her 50 inch TV being stolen when I'm on the streets starving hungry... If the work was there then why couldn't they have just payed me minimum wage!?! There's no way I'd ever work for free, or for $670 a fortnight payments.... stuff that!

Luckily for me at the time, I was being completely bluffed and still got paid.

But no human should be manipulated into thinking its in there best interest to work for free... it really does infuriate me.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AzothPendragon

I've done hundreds of hours of volunteer work, and I usually got treated like #.

O cookie no!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join