It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Manufacturing Plant Changes Rules to Take Away Muslim Prayer Breaks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

K, so just ignore everything I said.

Not all Muslims will adhere to that, and I am not for making it so a workplace has to abide by it.

My point was that if you go strictly by the books, ALL major religions would have issues with a workplace if they adhered to every rule.
So that would be all the more reason no to practice ANY religion.

The thing is, we're not discussing just any religion, but one religion in particular. Apparently in discussing it we are indicting it, which seems to me an attempt to avoid talking about it. That's my only point.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
The indictments,imo, were the 'these people need to get out of this country if they want to practice it'. Going far beyond just the work place issue. They have every right to practice their religion, but yes their workplace doesn't have to cater to it.

I don't mind discussions, but when you start talking about the people as second class citizens, it isn't a discussion anymore.
Or when you willingly turn a blind eye and act like they are the only ones that have the issues.
All religions at sometime or another cause issues in the workplace if someone is to devout IMO.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

The real world is where the majority trample the minority?

Is that your thoughts on everything or just on this issue.

Smokers are becoming a minority, should the majority have rule over what you do?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

What world do you live in? They more or less do. Do you think smokers smoke where they smoke by choice?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
The thing is, we're not discussing just any religion, but one religion in particular.

Why does it matter WHICH religion we're talking about?

Any religious accommodation we discuss would be about a particular religion, be it a Christmas party for Christianity, Yom Kippur observance for Judaism or daily prayer for Islam. The Constitution doesn't mention particular religions. They ALL count EQUALLY as religion.

edit on 1/18/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nope, and we never hear the end of it from the smokers.

Context ketsuko, that was about the majority having the right to stomp the minority. I KNOW you were able to see that.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yeah isn’t it mandatory to get a 15 minute or 10 minute break on these jobs.

I use to be at GM and we got breaks in the AM, 23 minutes and 23 in the PM as well as I think an hour lunch.

Don’t these jobs give breaks?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Why does it matter WHICH religion we're talking about?

It's the religion under discussion. Should we talk about Buddhists stopping during work hours?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

And yet, somehow, no one has any trouble saying NO to smokers because that's the PC thing to do.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

The indictments,imo, were the 'these people need to get out of this country if they want to practice it'. Going far beyond just the work place issue. They have every right to practice their religion, but yes their workplace doesn't have to cater to it.

I don't mind discussions, but when you start talking about the people as second class citizens, it isn't a discussion anymore.
Or when you willingly turn a blind eye and act like they are the only ones that have the issues.
All religions at sometime or another cause issues in the workplace if someone is to devout IMO.

No one is calling people second class citizens, except for perhaps you. Yes they have every right to practice their religion; no one is arguing that either.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Yeah isn’t it mandatory to get a 15 minute or 10 minute break on these jobs.

I use to be at GM and we got breaks in the AM, 23 minutes and 23 in the PM as well as I think an hour lunch.

Don’t these jobs give breaks?

And if they do, my question would be ... what are these employees doing with those breaks that they aren't using them for prayers? Or are they asking for separate breaks for prayers?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
In my current town, we have a slaughterhouse owned by a branch of Jews, because of their faith they will not operate the plant on certain days and at certain times.

That means that very few actually get 40hrs a week. I even have a couple of acquaintances that work there and to some, it's irritating to them because they are willing to work yet can't.

But, as I point out to them, it is the owners right to operate the plant when they want, for whatever reason, be it religious or otherwise, just like it is the workers right to work there, or not.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Yes, and if the same place was owned by Muslims, I would expect they would operate it according to their religious needs. Their business; their right to run it by their rules.

So, specific prayer breaks would likely happen in such a place.

edit on 18-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Ya I am totally calling them second class...

PC has nothing to do with it, but if you want to go that route, guess people have no issue ignoring the Constitution with Islam because that is the anti-PC thing to do

That comment was about the thought process of majority having the right to dictate the minority and just used that as a personal parallel for the poster.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Ya I am totally calling them second class...

And every one else is?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Chickensalad

Yes, and if the same place was owned by Muslims, I would expect they would operate it according to their religious needs. Their business; their right to run it by their rules.

So, specific prayer breaks would likely happen in such a place.

That's pretty much my point.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Maybe some of these Muslim workers just need to get together and start their own plant.
Then they can have all the breaks they want based on whatever they want.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

But it is a bad parallel.

Muslims and smokers are both minorities, one of which is very protected and the other is very persecuted.

In a sense, drug addicts have more public sympathy than smokers.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

In a sense, drug addicts have more public sympathy than smokers.

Talk about bad parallel's!
Point was about the majority having the right to rule of the minority and how that is the 'real world'.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Except that's NOT how it is supposed to work at all. The system is designed to protect minorities from majorities.

What else do you think things like reasonable accommodation are for? IMO, a Muslim has a right to expect reasonable accommodation. Anyone who works a certain amount of time is entitled to a break time of a certain length. What a person does with those breaks is their business. A business can and should be able to use that to accommodate a prayer for an employee. And the employee shouldn't expect to have extra breaks added for the prayer in addition to the ones already allotted by law.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join