It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Manufacturing Plant Changes Rules to Take Away Muslim Prayer Breaks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Good! Take notice, this should he the business model, nation wide. No religion in the workplace. Period. That includes political workplaces.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

A happy work force is a productive work force. This sounds like a decision made on Wall street

Let's see, One group "Happily" walks off the line for prayer, While the remaining group roll their eyes because of increased work load and have to take up prayer time slack.

Yeah I can see a real "happy" work place dynamic develop between the two groups.

Okay, so the company could give the other workers 5 minutes for Christian prayer, contemplation, smoking a cigarette — whatever — when the praying workers returned. Perhaps the breaks could be reworked so that prayer could occur during break periods.

My point is that an otherwise mundane and commonplace issue (workers upset with a policy change) is being turned into an indictment of a religion because it's Islam. None of us know much about the specifics of the situation but there are people ignorantly spouting crap about how these workers who none of us know should "find a different country."

Wtf is that?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Willtell

I can say prayers silently to myself when I'm driving the car or at the grocery store. Can Muslims not do that? It's all so formal.

Sure they can

Also, there’s a tradition in Islam called Dhikr (silent remembrance)

When I was a practicing Muslim, years ago, there was many ways to get around the traditional times to pray. WE NEVER burdened non Muslims or this society’s norms.

These people need to learn to practice and emphasize the LOVE aspect of their religion and forget about all of that bs false piety

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Christmas comes once a year, not three to four times a day. it's a Religious Holiday, Muslims could ask for and will receive their Holidays off as well

As far as scheduled breaks etc, They already do, so do the Muslims, Use THAT time for prayer, not during their allotted shifts.

Want a Productive work force?

Pay them a fair wage and show them respect for work done AT work, Pray anywhere else they so choose, on already given breaks, Lunch, in Church, masque, Temple or silently in their heads and hearts while working on the clock.

Get the picture?
edit on 18-1-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

None of us know much about the specifics of the situation but there are people ignorantly spouting crap about how these workers who none of us know should "find a different country."

Ya this is the sad part. This issue of someone getting a break when I don't is age old. Sometimes it's smoke breaks, or someone that seems to go to the bathroom to much. Or someone who has 'chronic pain' and needs some extra breaks for that. I am sure none of that would garner this response of "IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOU CAN GEEEETTTT OUT!"
edit on thMon, 18 Jan 2016 15:13:41 -0600America/Chicago120164180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Maybe the beef is that the employees in question are Muslim? Fifty-three Muslims needs against what can reasonably assumed is a larger segment of non-Muslims. Welcome to real world, a minority gets to have it handed it to them by the majority. As a smoking gun owner I can totally say , "suck it up sunshine"! If the shop is not union and the rules get changed again see my last statement. I guess you have been missing the biggest point, that is the non-Muslim majority is getting tired of bending over backward to please Muslims. Oh and by the way Christmas is only a hijacked observation from the pagan days. Muslims used to immigrate to the US and seemed to have little problem assimilating their beliefs with how the US does things. It just seems that lately Muslims are being more disruptive about their place in the scheme of things. They are oppressed as every one else in the states is.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This religious self-righteousness is like a disease, once it starts its hard to stop.

People shouldn’t burden others with their religious faith.

It does more harm to the religion and others don’t have to be burdened with other people’s religious laws.

And that’s the last thing Islam needs is more bad publicity. Stuff like this just makes people more resentful towards Muslims in general.

On the other hand, of course Muslims shouldn’t be denied their right to believe and practice what their conscience dictates or forced to do things against their religion, but not at the expense of other people’s rights and duties.

This company likely was just trying to be accommodating towards some good hard working people.

What happens is that it was abused by the employees.

They started wearing prayer caps, bringing prayer rugs and doing other things that are within the culture of the religion and it got too bizarre to the employer and the people on the job started getting resentful, so they stopped it.

Next thing you know they would have asked to call the adhan

edit on 18-1-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

My point is that an otherwise mundane and commonplace issue (workers upset with a policy change) is being turned into an indictment of a religion because it's Islam

I don't think it's an indictment of Islam. It's more of an indictment of being frequently away from the work station which causes obvious problems in certain businesses.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

It's more of an indictment of being frequently away from the work station

Exactly!

Islam aside, where do we draw the line on religious work breaks? I say that there should be a zero tolerance policy; across the board...otherwise, I will invent a religion where I must pray 7.5 hours a day, but only during my 8-hour work day...I will expect my employer to accommodate me; regardless.

Bottom line: Folks that require religious breaks, during the workday, should seek out employment tha6t will cater to their specific religious needs....a private employer is not in any way obligated to provide it's employees with "worship time"; no matter the religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
A happy work force is a productive work force. This sounds like a decision made on Wall street

Let's see, One group "Happily" walks off the line for prayer, While the remaining group roll their eyes because of increased work load and have to take up prayer time slack.
Yeah I can see a real "happy" work place dynamic develop between the two groups.

Perhaps...but it's all what you make of it, and all about the lens you use. Give everyone a break...stagger them so the line is not down. Happy employees are more productive, and they don't feel the need to organise. Grinding down your workforce does not pay off...and Wisconsin, with its anti-labour legislation is losing serious economic ground as a result.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

There are plenty of responses in this thread that is making this an indictment of Islam. Pretty sure that was ante's point there.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

There are plenty of responses in this thread that is making this an indictment of Islam. Pretty sure that was ante's point there.

I certainly can't argue with that.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Rightfully so. It's the only religion that requires one to stop what he is doing and pray so many times during the day, lest he be an unbeliever or a sinner. Nothing else but Islam is forcing them to pray in such a manner.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

And it all depends on how devout you are. Worked with plenty, only one ever did the prayer 5 times a day.
Other religions if followed orthodoxy also would require you to take time away from work to practice.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I hear ya.

I'm just saying. I support Religious freedom, But there's work and then there's prayer. A belief in a God that will save their soul is all fine and good. I'm a man of Faith, but I also live and work in the real world.

A job puts food on the table and pays the bills. I'm not singling Islam out. I know Jews, Christians etc that have all come to the understanding to keep that aspect of their lives private as it should be and not bring it to work.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sounds like a perfect example of the benefits of not practicing Islam.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Or practicing any religion, if you want to feign ignorance and act like Islam is the only religion that clashes with a secular work environment than that is on you.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Or practicing any religion, if you want to feign ignorance and act like Islam is the only religion that clashes with a secular work environment than that is on you.

How many times a day does any other religion require prayer?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

K, so just ignore everything I said.

Not all Muslims will adhere to that, and I am not for making it so a workplace has to abide by it.

My point was that if you go strictly by the books, ALL major religions would have issues with a workplace if they adhered to every rule.
So that would be all the more reason no to practice ANY religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Most employers who have employees who work for 8 hours must offer two 15 minute breaks and an hour for lunch.

If they need to pray twice, then that is when they arrange to take their breaks. Simple as that.

As for praying en masse, they have to accommodate their employers needs. If they work a line operation, then the line cannot shut down for them all to go together. Simple as that. They go in small groups and take their breaks to arrange to pray.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join