It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary: ‘I Know How Much Money Influences Political Decision-Making’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I think we're both right!

Bernie has shown that the people can fight against the super pacs and lobbyist. Hillary and her big dollar supporters must be freaked, Sanders campaign is winning with small change donated by the people,

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I have actual hope and an interest in politics for the first time in years thanks to all this

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

LOL!! Right?!!!

I was wondering that the other day - all of the billions of dollars that are thrown at elections.... from my measly $26 to Bernie to the Koch's purchase of our Governor as well as current GOP hopefuls...... what happens to the left-overs?

I'm confident that my contribution toward Bernie, small as it was, has already been put to good use. Don't you guys see - he's not interested in being "rich"! He's interested in the people's needs and priorities. THAT ALONE makes him unique. No one can honestly claim he is "establishment Government".... he is a senior legislator, yes. But he has refused to participate.

Talk about integrity!!!!! I can imagine his decision-making process before he ran.......
and for him to jump in anyway, stating ahead of time that no PACs would be accepted in his campaign from Wall Street tenants (pre-emptive clarification: Labor Unions are not Wall Street PACs. big diff.), and that he would rely solely on the individuals who support his ideas to fund his campaign.

Bernie. Not a rich man; not a bribe-taker. Not being paid $600,000 to speak at Goldman Sachs (like Hillary did) or taking out discreet "loans" via your spouse who works there (Goldman Sachs) and using it for your campaign (like Cruz did).

The people ARE fed up. So, now, the two most polarizing, charismatic individuals I have seen in a long time are leaving the "establishment" in the dust. It's an amazing, exciting time to be alive right now - as dour as the possible outcome might be.

So - Bernie, who the working people are supporting: and Trump, who is self-financed. How many GOP voters are donating to their guy? Hillary is already bought, paid for, test-driven, souped up, and fitted with a new set of carbs....but everyone already knows who she is. "Old News".
The other GOP guys are nowhere near capable of anything, and poor Jeb! who probably knows more than all of them combined about what it's really like to be president (well, so does Hillary) is totally out of his depth. I actually don't mind Jeb!, he seems a well-meaning, if misguided guy. I think him being POTUS would destroy him as a person.

So Bernie - common man's hero. Or Trump - a wannabe 1%ers dream come true.

It truly is an epic battle -

Anyway, I digress LOL!! (just had to go back to see what it was I wanted to talk about.....)....

the leftover donations - the campaign's "net income." Their candidate loses. WHERE DOES THAT MONEY GO?

Bernie can go home with no real difference in his life - Trump, likewise, can go back home with no pain (well, a split lip maybe), but the sheer glory of running is what's coifing his mane every morning. The Ultimate Reality TV Show Star!!

*shudder*

Does that money get pooled into the Federal Campaign Finance Fund, like is on our tax returns? "Would you like to contribute $3 to the elections?"

I've always said no (I needed that $3) - but now I wonder - if we all said "YES", who would get that money? And when?
Do the election season proceeds of the losing candidate go into that fund? Or could we get away from lobbying and corporate ownership of the government?

WHO GETS ALL THAT MONEY after the elections?

*wanders off muttering*
edit on 1/18/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

To bad Bernie had to take a big D to have a chance. The two party system is and has been rigged for many years, it has become a tool of the elite who lobby both sides!

Sanders will destroy the revolving door policies that have given our country to the 1%.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
Sanders will destroy the revolving door policies that have given our country to the 1%.

Ok. Let's be a tad realistic here. I won't lie, I think Bernie is a step in the right direction (which is why I want to vote for him), but if you honestly think that he'll destroy anything related to the current paradigm, you are in for an unwelcome surprise. He still has to work within the system to get those changes. Don't expect him to get much support from Congress either.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well, I hope Bernie beats Hillary in this election, and if he wins, I believe the first thing Bernie going to do is use executive power to pass a law to end Corporate lobbying during election times.

We all know Congress will not pass it.

I am now convinced that Bernie and Trump are a threat to The Powers That Be .

We all may witness two deadly accidents this year of two Presidential candid, I surly hope not.
edit on 18-1-2016 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

If Bernie does well and get's elected, and people like him. Is there anything saying he HAS to run as a democrat in the next election?

Does he have to stay democrat to be reelected?

I'm sure a well liked president could get reelected as and break the two party system.
edit on 1/18/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
Well, I hope Bernie beats Hillary in this election, and if he wins, I believe the first thing Bernie going to do is use executive power to pass a law to end Corporate lobbying during election times.

We all know Congress will not pass it.

I say leave the 1st Amendment alone.

Lot's of money gets lost by the losers anyway.

And there may not be any real proof that big money actually is able to "buy" and election.

But we know big money can influence decisions after somebody is elected.

That's the real problem.

And just the same, what prevents under-the-table money before and after a candidate is elected ?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

If Bernie does well and get's elected, and people like him. Is there anything saying he HAS to run as a democrat in the next election?

Does he have to stay democrat to be reelected?

I'm sure a well liked president could get reelected as and break the two party system.

Wow, talk about putting the cart before the horse!

The only reason Bernie is showing well in the Democrat Party is because Hillary is such a weak candidate. She is strong in money, weak in having actual human beings support her.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

One I said "IF" and two, denial, denial, denial. Bernie is doing well, deal with it. He's polling better than all the republicans too. If Bernie is such a loser, than what's that say about everyone else?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Congress does what the elites and the most powerfuly lobying groups want.

The Princeton study makes it very clear that the will of the people, no matter how "for" or "against" an issue plays NO PART in the decision making process of congress.

America could be 100% or 0% behind something, and in either case the response from congress would be the same. A flat line at about 30% no matter how much or little support from the public.

The wealthiest 10% along with the lobbyists? Their line is proportional to their support. More support from them, great the chances of it passing congress. Less support? Less of a chance.

The American public has a statistically insignificant impact on the decisions congress makes.

What congress eventually passes or doesn't pass (both houses) is ultimately what the wealthiest people in America and their lobbyists want. Not the people.

Repeat: We the people have no say or influence on congress, and haven't had any for a few decades now.

edit on 18-1-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Have you been following Sanders statements on Washington's revolving door policies, or are simply thinking me naive???

From 2008

How to Stop the Revolving Door
"As Congress prepares to consider the annual Department of Defense authorization bill and other military spending legislation totaling more than $700 billion, the need for more aggressive scrutiny is abundantly clear... These are complex problems that will require multi-faceted solutions. A good place to start would be by slowing down the "revolving door" that allows high level Pentagon bureaucrats and military officers to go to work for major defense contractors," wrote Sen. Bernie Sanders in a

There is much more at the source

From 2016

Sanders: Stop the Wall Street to Washington Revolving Door

U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders on Friday said he would stop the revolving door between Wall Street and the federal government.

He cited Goldman Sachs’ deal this week to pay a $5 billion fine for bogus marketing schemes on home mortgages during the financial crisis seven years ago as the latest example of the need for independent regulators and prosecutors.

source

He seems consistent in his message, I feel he knows how he will effect the change.

We know Hillary has expectations of a close future with goldman sachs after getting a $600,000 speakers fee from them.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I'm just saying to temper your expectations. There is always a huge gap between what is planned versus what actually transpires. There are too many cases where people hype themselves up on all sorts of things only to be disappointed in the end because they didn't get everything they wanted. However, if you go in with conservative wishes (say you'd be happy with progress made or legitimate attempts to have your policies implemented) then you are more likely to be satisfied with him after election. Bernie may be a breath of fresh air, but he isn't Superman.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

All Bernie needs to do to make me happy is get elected without super-Pacs and show that it can be done.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Well that's his goal. So cross your fingers and hope it continues to play out like it is.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Lot's of money gets lost by the losers anyway.

And there may not be any real proof that big money actually is able to "buy" and election.

But we know big money can influence decisions after somebody is elected.

That's the real problem.

This is what I asked.....
in my last post. Sorry if I'm late to the convo.

What DOES happen to all that money?

As for proof, yes, xuen....there is "proof". It is ridiculous (sorry, you know I'm startin' to like ya) to think that money is just "gone."

WHERE DOES IT GO?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

KS, I am a rather simple person that is firmly rooted to the earth, that said Sanders has planted a seed. A seed pops up over night and in years may turn into a fruit bearing tree, patience grasshopper.

My expectation is an assassination, but my hope is for better things.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I believe the saying goes, "Expect nothing. You'll never be disappointed."

Like I said, I'm a Sanders supporter too, but getting elected is only the beginning. Once he's President he has a MUCH tougher battle ahead of him getting his policy proposals approved.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Sanders has planted a seed. A seed pops up over night and in years may turn into a fruit bearing tree, patience grasshopper.

My expectation is an assassination, but my hope is for better things.

No, Dad, no. The seed has long since been planted. Bernie is the sapling. Even more mature than a seedling might be.
He's been there, watching.....others have laid the groundwork long before him, and his is the next "now this" step.

It's brilliant.
Now is the time. OWS was an early demonstration ....
they like to call us "dirty hippies" - but, well - not only we, but our kids, in DROVES, are getting somewhere meaningful. Finally.

Don't even think about an assassination!!!! No. That WOULD cause a civil war.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

My hope is that if that happens it puts a fire under us like hasn't been seen in a long time.

If Bernie get's assassinated, I can see it taking the blinders off and causing quite the stir.

The powers that be are balancing on a fine line.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join