It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about British TV

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
Also, is it me, or do many of you guy's shows lack background/ambient music? Like many of the shows are just dialogue only and whatever sounds from the environment, and I dont usually notice a score of any kind.

On the contrary, there is FAR TOO MUCH background music. This is a long-standing grievance for many people. Anyone who tries to watch historical documentaries, for example, will have noticed it. Producers seem to operate on the theory that the spoken word cannot be allowed to operate on its own, and MUST have a distracting musical background while the presenter is speaking, to set the "atmosphere". I assume this stupid principle has been imported from the film world. Similarly in sports, like the Tour de France. As long as there is live action, we're allowed just to see what's going on and listen to the commentary. But while things are being explained in the prologue, CRASH BANG WALLOP, there has to be a loud musical background underneath the words. Only the news programmes really escape it.

We rarely agree, but on this I whole heartedly agree, so much noise!!!
I dont have a tv, I see more than I need when I visit friends, but I notice just about every thing has blaring noise, often so loud its difficult to take in whats being spoken. I notice youtube vids are doing the same.

edit on 18-1-2016 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There's a wee bit of confusion here. If you see a programme with a signer in an inset, that is likely to be a later schedule, news or otherwise.
Breaking news, as in the BBC'S 24 hour news, is not usually covered by signers of BSL.
Local stations however, like the various regional BBC stations usually have a signer along with the presenter at the times they broadcast their scheduled news bulletins, and at the end of the programme in the summary of the bulletin, that's live.
The late night, 'See hear' programme is a dedicated programme of the days events for the hard of hearing, using subtitles and a BSL signer in an inset.
The technology is ongoing, so the subtitles you can call up under any news for instance other than scheduled stuff can be hilarious at times though.
Educational programmes will use subtitles for the more obvious reasons of language in translation, that's not the same as interpreting a sign language which can't be written down.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
That would totally bug the hell out of me (a signer in the corner).

I like to be immersed in a program.

Why couldn't that be optional, via a box or something? Why subject others to it?
I'm all for accessibility, but there are better ways.

<< 1   >>

join