It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 62 richest people have as much wealth as half the world

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I am so glad I lived and worked during a period of prosperity for the laborer. I actually experienced income that I could take a family vacation, buy a car in two years, find a job in a day and housing, $50 for hospital room, I could deduct my work expenses and interest, and hope for the next generation. Yeah, so what you say. I don't remember losing those opportunities, they were taken. Beginning with Reagan's tax reforms then his destruction of unions. Hard work means nothing when politicians construct laws against your hard work.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

Be your own man. Work and prosper. Don't spend your life envious of somebody who worked.

Yep, I agree with this.
Trouble is, we have very different ideas of what "work" means.
I'm not envious of the ultra-rich, I f*cking HATE them. Not for the wealth itself, but for what they have done to society and people and this planet to obtain and maintain that wealth.
People like Oprah are pretty much fine, though. The Queen, too, I guess, even if her throne is built on blood and bone.

a reply to: greencmp

Producers? What the hell are you talking about? No one on this list is a producer, they are a "receiver." They are leeches, draining all the vigor of life away 'till naught but a decrepit husk remains of this once-beautiful and bountiful planet. Hell, in the case of Oil tycoons this analogy is LITERAL.

When was the last time Bill Gates did any programming?

You call them "producers", but if I sliced off the head of every last one of them tomorrow morning I doubt much harm would come to production.

meritocracy

Meritocracy? The US isn't a meritocracy, it's an Oligarchy.

I have very little confidence in our ability to dispel this harmful misunderstanding.

Yes, I agree with you. The misunderstanding that the ideals of Reaganomics actually function is quite hard to dispel, and many people seem to firmly believe that cutting corporate and individual taxes will somehow result in anything but corporate profits growing and individuals hoarding more and more.

Well you certainly have touched on all the important points.

Work isn't really work (?)
Producers are really receivers
Hate the rich, maybe slice their heads off
But Oprah's fabulous anyway
And maybe the Queen, but she's been evil too
All progress and production have killed the planet, so it's bad no matter what came of it
Reaganomics = evil, wrong, etc.
US is an oligarchy, no merit in anything the rich have done

I guess that covers it. I don't know if there's anything that can be said to counter this list.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The 62 richest people also pay more taxes than everyone else.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
I am so glad I lived and worked during a period of prosperity for the laborer. I actually experienced income that I could take a family vacation, buy a car in two years, find a job in a day and housing, $50 for hospital room, I could deduct my work expenses and interest, and hope for the next generation. Yeah, so what you say. I don't remember losing those opportunities, they were taken. Beginning with Reagan's tax reforms then his destruction of unions. Hard work means nothing when politicians construct laws against your hard work.

Sometimes politicians get rid of corrupt entities (unions) that do nothing but fundraise for democrats (taking the money by force from people who aren't democrats)....and guarantee jobs for life for incompetent and criminal employees. Oh, and make bigger salaries for the union gang leaders than most (evil !) CEO's.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Propulsion
The 62 richest people also pay more taxes than everyone else.

Strangely, the answer is always "but not enough".

There is no figure that will make some folks happy other than....evil 1% pay 100% of the US budget.

Of course until there are laws that criminalize physically leaving the country, or taking any personal property out of the country (and believe me they are rallying for this at all times), the evil 1% will leave when this happens.

But yes, next logical step is "arrest them and seize everything !"

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

None of that was our experience for over 40 years. The chamber of commerce is just as corrupt but that does not make all businesses corrupt. At least we got something from our crooks for hard work.
H

edit on 26-1-2016 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

All progress and production have killed the planet, so it's bad no matter what came of it

As I said, it depends on what you consider "work". I wouldn't say Trump has done enough "hard work" to deserve the wealth he currently possesses.
No, producers are producers. The Uber-rich like the Koch brothers are leeches.
Well, Nick Hanauer said something about pitchforks.
People like Oprah and actors are fine because, while I believe the amount they make is absurd, they are not actively destroying our government and planet to obtain it.
I was speaking of the English Monarchy. The throne of blood and bone. Not the Queen herself, the person.
The issue is when effects on the planet are knowingly ignored for the sake of pure profit.
It doesn't work. It's stupid. It's a failed economic system, if you consider failure as anything other than "make the rich richer."
The merit is disproportionate to the reward they have received. The US is an Oligarchy, fact. Or would you prefer Plutocracy? They are quite similar.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I never understood people who loose sleep over rich people paying the fair share of taxes they should pay.

You hear it on these conservative radio takers who call up and remonstrate over the injustice of billionaires and millionaires paying, what they perceive is too much.

I think that’s one way how they get away with this by brainwashing so many conservative people who actually vote for politicians whose whole program is protecting the money of the rich—the essence of the Republican party of today.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
I never understood people who loose sleep over rich people paying the fair share of taxes they should pay.

You hear it on these conservative radio takers who call up and remonstrate over the injustice of billionaires and millionaires paying, what they perceive is too much.

I think that’s one way how they get away with this by brainwashing so many conservative people who actually vote for politicians whose whole program is protecting the money of the rich—the essence of the Republican party of today.

What exactly is fair share? 15%? 20%? 50%? Be specific. I always see people claiming the rich don't pay their fair share, but no one defines what that fair share should be.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I don't lose any sleep whatsoever, and the premise that I do is just another failed liberal meme. Just like "You having X dollars hurts somebody else".

Clearly if YOU have ANYTHING that makes you even slightly comfortable, it's not fair and you should give it up. That comfy chair and heater in your house ? The homeless guys has neither, so you are selfish and mean for having them.

Sell them. What you make will buy food for a couple of homeless guys for a couple of days. If you don't do it, clearly you hate them and want them to starve.

My guess is that you don't like the same scam being played on you, as you're recommending be done to others that you deem scamworthy.

It's all relative. Every last person in America is the 1% compared to some poor slob in Africa or North Korea. And they should be doing the same scheme on the American min wager as you'd like to do to the Koches. Unless of course they don't really want to waste their time fixating on other people, and choose to just live their own lives.

That's what liberalism is and always has been. The desperate need to make other people do things, regardless of whether it's necessary, useful, or logical.

Let's make people use ethanol fuel, even though it causes food shortages for the poor, damages engines, and hobbles the economy. Let's ban DDT "to save bird eggs" even if it causes millions to die of malaria in the third world. Plus a million more mind numbing examples lol.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

What exactly is fair share? 15%? 20%? 50%? Be specific. I always see people claiming the rich don't pay their fair share, but no one defines what that fair share should be.

You're just about my favorite poster around here. Your background and position on things just makes life miserable for the victim and grievance industry.

And man, do they hate you for it. I drink their bitter tears like cool sweet branch water.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think many posters around here keep forgetting that virtually nobody in the GOP stands for conservatism or the constitution anymore.

So the continued knee-jerk demonization of the "Republicans" just makes me laugh.

The party is controlled by hacks who want maximum illegal invasion, more federal power, endless spending, and so on. Not a whit's difference from the leftists. A lot of them are even A-OK with the eradication of millions of inconvenient unborn babies.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

As I said, it depends on what you consider "work". I wouldn't say Trump has done enough "hard work" to deserve the wealth he currently possesses.
No, producers are producers. The Uber-rich like the Koch brothers are leeches.
Well, Nick Hanauer said something about pitchforks.
People like Oprah and actors are fine because, while I believe the amount they make is absurd, they are not actively destroying our government and planet to obtain it.
I was speaking of the English Monarchy. The throne of blood and bone. Not the Queen herself, the person.
The issue is when effects on the planet are knowingly ignored for the sake of pure profit.
It doesn't work. It's stupid. It's a failed economic system, if you consider failure as anything other than "make the rich richer."
The merit is disproportionate to the reward they have received. The US is an Oligarchy, fact. Or would you prefer Plutocracy? They are quite similar.

The Koches are famous for building hospitals and other services for society, with their own evil money.

Bill & Hillary are infamous for donating used underwear to Goodwill and taking a credit for it.

Guess these things just don't factor into the pre-conceived memes.

Most of the huge money people in America started with zip. A few had some money like Trump, or a comfortable upbringing like Gates, which seems to really peg your hate-o-meter.

Their is no proportionality of moneys earned. Nothing that Gates or Jobs or the Waltons earned has taken a penny from anyone else. Even competition that they may have beaten in the market. Those people have 100% American freedoms to go anywhere they want, and pursue any job or business that they desire. The government isn't here to protect their horse & buggy shop, or deem Gates' success illegal.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Propulsion

Considering most of there money is in tax havens, I call BS on them paying more in taxes. They dodge our tax laws. Or are you one of those weird people that deny tax havens and tax dodging by the filthy rich?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

Clearly if YOU have ANYTHING that makes you even slightly comfortable, it's not fair and you should give it up. That comfy chair and heater in your house ? The homeless guys has neither, so you are selfish and mean for having them.

Sell them. What you make will buy food for a couple of homeless guys for a couple of days. If you don't do it, clearly you hate them and want them to starve.

My guess is that you don't like the same scam being played on you, as you're recommending be done to others that you deem scamworthy.

Speaking for myself, I'm one lost paycheck from being said homeless person, and even still I argue and fight for getting the homeless person off the street to have just as much as I have.

Meanwhile these rich you defend could give said homeless person a whole house and food for life without giving up a single nicety they have with what is equivalent in value of a loss of 1 dollar for me.

If I had their money I'd give up most of it helping people, I neither need nor want billions of dollars. If I ever win the lotto you'd be delusional if you think I'd hoard it all. So tired of the rich defenders pretending everyone else is as broken as the hoarders are.

Actually I'm renting pretty much everything I own currently and had to put off paying this week til next week, I couldn't even sell anything to buy said homeless person a hamburger. Heck I can't even afford a hamburger for myself right now. I'm living on pasta from last week right now. This computer I'm typing on rented. I can return it next week if I can't make payments. As I said, one paycheck from homeless. Only reason I'm not helping others financially is because I'm one paycheck from destitute myself.

All I and most people want is some financial security. To not be one pay check from destitute. You all act like people are asking for a lot. Peace of mind, if people had the basics met, the rich would be safe with their excess, because there would never be enough people to fight back, because most would be content with a little security.

Instead more and more people are becoming destitute, and those who aren't are becoming closer and closer to one bad week from it. But whatever, what comes, comes. So tired of trying to find a compromise.

All people want are not to be held hostage with threat of starvation, homelessness and despair. For work to be about living, rather than surviving.

The day basics are met, and work becomes about perks and wants rather than needs and basic survival, is the day slavery ends.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Considering most of there money is in tax havens, I call BS on them paying more in taxes. They dodge our tax laws. Or are you one of those weird people that deny tax havens and tax dodging by the filthy rich?

I'm guessing that he's quoting IRS data that's well known, documented, and proven.

There are tax havens, but that doesn't change this basic truth.

Here ya go - www.ntu.org...

Gotta laugh.....top 50% have always paid from 92 to 97 % of the tax revenue. Bottom 50% a robust 2 to 7 %. Last figures available in 2013, the bottom 50 % pay an amazing 2.78 % of all taxes collected.

Somebody should be embarrassed around here. Lotta grousing with apparently no leg to stand on. No knowledge ?

Look at that 2013 data -

Stratum % paid, of tax base
top 1% 37.8 %
top 5% 58.55 %
top 10% 69.8 %
top 25% 86.27 %

How embarrassing for anyone who ever yelled that the rich don't pay enough.

I think I get it. It should be whatever the gross amount paid by these groups, X 2........amirite ?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If I have ten dollars and I pay one and someone else has one hundred dollars and they pay two, only and idiot thinks they are comparable.

If I have ten dollars and I pay one dollar and am supposed to pay 10%, and someone else has 100 dollars and pays 5 dollars and is supposed to pay 10% but shifted fifty dollars to a tax haven to pay 5% instead, comparing that 5 dollars to the 1 dollar I paid is laughable.

They had better be paying more taxes than me, they actually have something to contribute with, you can't bleed blood from a stone.

You're one of those people that think a person who only owns a 100 dollars who donates 10 dollars is less a donater than someone with 10,000 dollars that donates a 100. Because 10 is less total dollars.

Dishonesty at it's finest.
edit on 1/26/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

Stratum % paid, of tax base
top 1% 37.8 %
top 5% 58.55 %
top 10% 69.8 %
top 25% 86.27 %

How embarrassing for anyone who ever yelled that the rich don't pay enough.

I think I get it. It should be whatever the gross amount paid by these groups, X 2........amirite ?

62 people own 50% of the worlds wealth, and you think stating that the top 1% pay 37.8% of taxes helps your argument how?

62 people own 50% of the worlds wealth and you want the bottom percent to be able to cover as much expenses as them in taxes? In fact you want the bottom percent of people to pay MORE than the top 62 people as they fall WITHIN the top 1%, they aren't even the top one percent they are a fraction of the top one percent.

If I have 100 dollars, and you have 1,000,000,000 dollars, 1% is 1 dollar for me and 10,000,000 for you. Yet you want us to both contribute the same amount of cash?
edit on 1/26/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
lol, you beat me to it.

I was gonna say 10 % of that dollar you gave to the bum who bought a can of beer with it....is 10 cents.

10 % of that 10 million some evil rich guy spent on a big piece of equipment to expand the business (and employ 10 more people lol)........is a cool million dollars.

So you think it's not punitive enough to have one guy pitch in 10 cents, and another guy pitch in a million bucks ?

Well, I know the answer of course. Nowhere near punitive enough. I'm guessing that you would like to get another 6-8 million out of the guy with the hard-earned money. And he won't buy that next piece of equipment, or employ another 10 people.

And the people who grabbed the 6-8 million off the guy will blame Reagan for those 10 people not getting jobs. Happens every time in the left's dialogue lol.

Hey, I'm sorry for anybody who lives on the edge of disaster. But unless you have a physical or mental handicap, rather than "one paycheck from disaster".....you are really one associate's degree or one certificate away from better times. Or some overtime, or a second job, or a cheaper flat or car. Whatever happened to people coming up with their own solutions to their own problems ? Why is today's person only gonna scream and spit and swear at people who work harder, plan better, and make rational decisions ?

You know, you could live without a 100-200 per month phone, or 100-200 per month cable TV, or 300 per month car. You can still have all of those things for 1/4 that money, with the slightest effort to make it so. Today's struggling people won't even consider that. Today's classic selfish stance is "oh, why should I have to move from where I love it, to a place that's paying 25.00 an hour". Yeah, got it. The 25.00 / hr is supposed to just come to you, not you to it. Yes, that's really the outlook of today's poor. I keep hearing how unfair it is that a career burger flipper can't pay the rent in downtown NYC. That's Godawful childish logic.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Notice how no one has attempted to answer my simple question as to what define's fair share. The goal post is always moving.

So again, how much should the rich be paying? Be specific.

The problem is that the rich simply do not have enough money to confiscate to pay for all the government spending. The money simply isn't there. You could take every dime earned by the rich and it still would not pay for government.

We have way too many people sitting in the boat, but not enough people paddling. It is that simple. Government has become too big and far too many people expect others to pay their way.

It is not sustainable.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join