It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosemary Kennedy dies in mental institution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Rosemary Kennedy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Rosemary Kennedy (September 13, 1918- January 7,2005) is the oldest daughter of Rose and Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. and the younger sister of U.S. President John F. Kennedy.

Rosemary was a shy and mentally slow child, symptoms which some believe point to dyslexia. The family had difficulty dealing with Rosemary's problems, and in 1941 her father asked a neurosurgeon to perform a prefrontal lobotomy � this was considered a magical cure. This did not have the effect that was foreseen, and afterwards Rosemary was incapable of living a normal life. She has been living at St. Coletta of Wisconsin, a residential institution for disabled people, until her death on January 7, 2005.

I am a Democrat and was very active in the Kennedy Special Olympics games in Hyannis, Ma.
This is something i have always critisized the Kennedys about. They hid their daughter after a botched lobotomy in a mental institution forever because it brought the family shame.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Sad news. She didn't have much of a life, though she was well cared for... as well as could be bought, I suppose. Thanks for the report.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Sadly she will be missed by many. Jo.P. Kennedy and his wife always thought of her a a family embarrasment. Then when she was young she was shipped to a mental inst. for her Lobotomy. I heard Ted(hiccup) Kennedy one time make a remark about her that was very derogitory in nature. Well maybe now she will get the peace and fulfillment she so desperatly wanted in life, now in death.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Poor sweet Rose, pretty Irish wild flower.

May she rest in peace.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is a very sad story .. a lobotomy ... unbelievable.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by c_au]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I am a Democrat and was very active in the Kennedy Special Olympics games in Hyannis, Ma.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by dgtempe]

Yeah I figured as much. Which events did you compete in?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
this is just a thought.....what if she wittness a murder. (u know the kennedys r not innocent. ) maybe if u go back in time and read reports u will find which ones died around the time of her lobotomy and because of her slowness they just couldnt make her understand she must be quite. so they made her that away. (lobotomy were mainly done by the rich to keep others quite.)

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
They hid their daughter after a botched lobotomy
in a mental institution forever because it brought
the family shame.

Lovely bunch, eh? What they did was wrong.
How they handled things after the lobotomy was evil.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
What a sad life she had! Hopefully she is at peace now!She might be in heaven now playing a game of football with the rest of the deceased Kennedy's.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Do you really think the people that did that to her are in heaven
playing football? I have a much WARMER place in mind ... where
they may be kicking the ol' pig skin around ... and with whom they
may be kicking it with!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You'd think these super-rich bleeding heart Democrats would have taken care of their own family member at home instead of hiding her in an institution.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
That's awful... I wonder if they really wanted their child in there because it's an awful place to go.

Mental institutions are a tool by the government, to maintain the status quo. You see, they practically starve you of oxygen, and all it takes is about 4-5 weeks till your permanently damaged (less neurotransmitters, awful memory, and less depth to awareness).

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The story I heard was that there was nothing wrong w/ this rosemary but she was embarrassing the family so mr. Kennedy did this hoping she would calm down...so to speak...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
this is just a thought.....what if she wittness a murder. (u know the kennedys r not innocent. ) maybe if u go back in time and read reports u will find which ones died around the time of her lobotomy and because of her slowness they just couldnt make her understand she must be quite. so they made her that away. (lobotomy were mainly done by the rich to keep others quite.)

Such a difficult time in history Bombing of Dresden, Pearl harbor it must have been very difficult for her

Interesting biography by Rose Marie Terenzio titled "Fairy tale interrupted" for those captivated by the Kennedy Camelot.

top topics

join