It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual Site Of Salem Witch Hangings Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Actual Site Of Salem Witch Hangings Discovered
(boston.cbslocal.com)

SALEM (CBS) – After nearly three centuries of conflicting beliefs, the city of Salem confirms a team of scholars verified the site where 19 innocent people were hanged during the 1692 witch trials as Proctor’s Ledge. The historic site is an area located in between Proctor and Pope Streets in Salem, Massachusetts.

“We are happy to be able to bring years of debate to an end,” Salem State University Professor Emerson Baker told the city of Salem. “Our analysis draws upon multiple lines of research to confirm the location of the executions.”

Proctor's Ledge in Salem confirmed as witch execution site

The Gallows Hill Project, a group of seven scholars, says they were able to definitively identify the location after five years of research, using court records, maps, ground-penetrating radar and aerial photographs.

There's been all sorts of theories about what drove a fledgling colony to execute 19 women. Personally I never liked the 'poisoned ergot' theory, and felt it was more politically motivated. They've already built a memorial at another location, but a small plaque at the actual hanging site might be appropriate.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I read about this.
Apparently it's right next do a Walgreens.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

A place like this must have some bad spirits,

Mental note, of somewhere not to visit...... ever
edit on 17/1/16 by Phatdamage because: I'm BATMAN

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hysterical and religious folk will be irrational and dangerous....

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phatdamage

A place like this must have some bad spirits,

Mental note, of somewhere not to visit...... ever

It is an amazing place to visit! There was only one little shop where I felt a very evil presence, all other little shops had a good vibe. With the historical buildings and history, you can almost feel transported back in time. Whatever you do, do not go on a day closest to Halloween! You'll wait hours just to see one museum or find a restaurant.

Great thread!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

So, pretty much everybody then..

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

So, pretty much everybody then..

Well it has been, however things might be looking up

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Exodus 22 "Thou shalt not suffer a which to live."
"I am God, and I approved this message."

ETA: Some good images of the site here
edit on 1/17/2016 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

It has ever been thus!

Which is why religion is such a dangerous weapon.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

That will teach them to try and turn people into newts.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

Suprised if the exact location would be revealed to such a place as it is now likely
to attract al sorts of "people" to go there!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

"She turned me into a newt!"
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Guidance for Witch Hunting in New England was illustrated with the publication of the book " Guidance For Witch Hunting " written by Matthew Hopkins who was the self proclaimed " Witch Finder General " during The English Civil War.

Matthew Hopkins.......Witch Finder General

en.wikipedia.org...

Hopkins' witch-hunting methods were outlined in his book The Discovery of Witches, which was published in 1647. These practices were recommended in law books.[61] During the year following the publication of Hopkins' book, trials and executions for witchcraft began in the New England colonies with the hanging of Alse Young of Windsor, Connecticut on May 26, 1647, followed by the conviction of Margaret Jones. As described in the journal of Governor John Winthrop, the evidence assembled against Margaret Jones was gathered by the use of Hopkins' techniques of "searching" and "watching".[61] Jones' execution was the first in a witch-hunt that lasted in New England from 1648 until 1663.[62] About eighty people throughout New England were accused of practising witchcraft during that period, of whom fifteen women and two men were executed.[62] Some of Hopkins' methods were once again employed during the Salem Witch Trials,[63] which occurred primarily in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1692–93. These trials resulted in 19 executions for witchcraft,[64][65] one man, Giles Corey, pressed to death for refusing to plead,[66] and 150 imprisonments.

Hopkins was portrayed by Vincent Price in the film " Witch Finder General "

edit on 17-1-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
ever since i read about poveglia island, i have wanted to pay a visit. you know, to stir the supernatural pot and satisfy my morbid otherworldly curiosity.

failing that, i may have to give this witch hanging site a shot. paranormal activity 6 anyone?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I go to Salem every once in a while. It is a beautiful town, and the people there are wonderful.
A bar you just have to visit, is the Lyceum. Probably one of the most haunted establishments in New England, but not malevolent. Attended a wedding reception there, and will never forget it. I think it is now under renovation. I sure hope they do not change it much.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Nice thread.

Salem has such a fascinating history, can you imagine having lived there through the witch trials? That's one place in time that would have been frightening to live in.

a reply to: Night Star

Salem has such in interesting history and a beautiful setting. I've always wanted to visit and hope to make it out there one day.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Klassified

That will teach them to try and turn people into newts.

(I can't believe I actually misspelled witch in my first post.)

They were running out of these...

What's a coven to do?

On topic: Years ago, I read an article that said the witch hunt had more to do with land and property grabbing by the church and leaders of the community, than it did with witches. Accusing someone of sorcery in a local theocracy was just an easy way to get what they wanted.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
I go to Salem every once in a while. It is a beautiful town, and the people there are wonderful.
A bar you just have to visit, is the Lyceum. Probably one of the most haunted establishments in New England, but not malevolent. Attended a wedding reception there, and will never forget it. I think it is now under renovation. I sure hope they do not change it much.

im sure if there is a historic landmark to be preserved, they will preserve it.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

On topic: Years ago, I read an article that said the witch hunt had more to do with land and property grabbing by the church and leaders of the community, than it did with witches. Accusing someone of sorcery in a local theocracy was just an easy way to get what they wanted.

I believe it true as well.
We think that politicians and business pull tricks today... Back then they were out of control.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

It is a seaside town and also famous for the house of the seven gables. Looking for a video to share. I'll be back.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join