It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU shock as 'out' vote sweeps 6% ahead!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I don't understand the " shock " , I haven't heard from anyone that actually wants to stay.

edit on 17-1-2016 by Noobarino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki
You seem to have missed the point, the border would not be to keep the Scots out just non visa carrying EU nationals who would get to the island through Scotland.
I support the UK defending it's border with the EU, I know strange hey.

edit on 17.1.2016 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
People have been spoonfed anti EU propaganda by the anti EU press. The vast majority haven't a clue about the benefits only the negatives. There isn't long enough to present the benefits.

Seriously? You say that, then write a whole list of fear-mongering rubbish. I challenge you to name 3 positive reasons for staying In the EU that we couldn't have if we Leave.

This whole EU referendum really is a no-brainer. Vote Leave!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

No, I didn't miss the point, but then I'm an 'Internationalist', so I guess we're diametrically-opposed...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: AngryCymraeg
The Scots can vote out and do one from the UK then, won't affect my life, be quite happy to see them go independent.

As long as my Irn Bru consumption ain't affected, then am happy to see the Scots go there own way!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
What country are you from enjoying your internationalist standpoint? Got a dog in the EU race or not?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Aotearoa.

Everyone has a dog in the EU race. Unsurprisingly, it's of global import...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant
Hopefully we'll agree favourable trade tariffs on the Irn Bru and Buckfast Tonic Wine.
*Edit*
...the tramp juice Devon exports to Scotland

edit on 17.1.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Then you have to accept the democratic vote of us Brits when it happens, guess you should keep your fingers crossed lol

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: anxiouswens
Good I hope the polls are accurate, I'm certainly voting for the UK to leave the EU.
The Germans will still want us to buy their cars when we have our seat back in the WTO, Britain will survive perfectly well as an independent nation again.

Only it won't be Britain if the UK votes to leave. The Scottish are very pro-EU. If the UK leaves the EU then they will demand a second referendum and the pro-independence movement must just win it this time. I'm not even sure that there's an anti-EU movement in Wales. When it comes to the vote I'm voting no to leaving the EU.

We aren't as pro-EU as Sturgeon and the SNP would have you believe and I know plenty of SNP voters who don't want to be part of the EU in its current form if they do break away from rUK, And despite the high number of SNP MP's they were voted in by Unionists as a protest vote against the Lib Dems for siding with the Tories in power and the disarray of the Labour party and other pro UK voters like me just didn't bother voting in the election due to the poor calibre of our politicians so if another referendum tomorrow same result and still British the day after

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Oh of course.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It pleases me that with our opposing standpoints I shall have the vote but you will not.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

This isn't a club you can leave for a year and come back when you see the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Quite right, exactly the same principle applies to the Scots and the British Union.

Sad to see that the Scottish Nats are trying to hijack this, but I guess that's come to be the norm.
They've come to resemble the insular American types we all take the piss out of.

I understand the benefits of being part of a Free Trade Association.

And despite my virulent opposition to the illegal transfer of sovereignty to Brussels I can even see the benefits of a certain amount of political union.

But the problem is that the British people have never been consulted over such a political union and it is OUR right to decide exactly who governs us.

It is important that a free and open discussion be held clearly outlining all the opposing opinions before a referendum.
That is the MOST important thing - the debate and vote.

Either way the vote goes we must accept the result and fully commit to whatever option the British people have decided.
The last thing I personally would wish to see is the constant bitter sniping that continues in Scotland today with The Nats seemingly determined to hijack and exploit any given situation just to further their 'cause' - a 'cause' that was voted against only 16months ago.

The other problem many who oppose EU membership have is that the EU is viewed as a bloated and corrupt entity which seeks to further its own agenda regardless of the wishes and best interests of some of its constituent people.

In theory the principles behind some sort of European Union are well intentioned and have a certain amount of merit - the reality of the current monstrosity is something quite different to that.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Being Scottish and living in Scotland, myself and many other Scots I know are very pro-UK and very anti-EU. I wouldn't put much faith in these opinion polls which gives people the opportunity to paint all us Scots with the same brush. Actually i don't even know one person who was polled about this.

Personally I will be voting out of the EU and god forbid another independence referendum happens i'll be voting for the Union.

With us out of the EU, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can hopefully work together to make this Britain Great again!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I would rather have a million Turks and a million Syrians than one of your lot as my neighbour.

Be careful for what you wish for.

Good to see you're just as bitter and bigoted as ever Solo - you must have such a miserable life being so consumed with hatred for the English, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Perhaps you should pop down here to N.E. England and we'll put a smile on you're face.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

You want to know the difference between our lot and your lot. It's not the creed nor his nationality that counts. It's the man himself.

Absolute bollocks.

You are obviously aware of the long lasting, deep rooted and virulent sectarianism that is rampant throughout the central belt of Scotland?

And any search of racism in Scotland will reveal a large rise in racially motivated crime....and that doesn't count the anti-English bigotry that occurs.

But no doubt you'll deny all that or simply blame it on English propaganda blah blah blah.

So predictable....so bitter....so sad.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

History says that the Scots have often looked abroad to counter the imperialist tendencies of the English.

And failed miserably every time and came back to those self same English bastards seeking aid and assistance.

Oh, and the Scots were a full and equal partner in British Imperialism......some of the best exponents of Imperialism were Scottish by birth.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The EU in my opinion needs to be reformed, but at the same time this opinion I hold doesn't fully feel like my own, but one that has been subliminally been given to me. I am meant to feel like I want out of Europe, I am meant to feel Europe is not right for Britain, and just to ensure that the silent point has driven home into mine and my compatriot's subconscious, we have witnessed a migrant crisis like no other. Fear Europe, fear migrants. Leave Europe, stop migrants. The point has been made, and is now indelible in our minds. When I go to vote I will be picturing the migrant crisis in spite of myself.

To be honest, its irrelevant to me whatever happens to or for the UK. My days of dreaming idealism are over. I have a shorter future of natural life left, and personally I don't give a damn, not any longer, because whichever way the referendum goes, it isn't going to extend my life, or give it a greater quality than the little it has now. Nothing makes sense any more, there's no certainty to anything, and there is no nation-wide consensus on what we should seek to achieve, let alone a consensus to agree to work together or abide with each other in the same ideological direction. Like every other country we are splintered and fractured and co-exist along fault-lines of differing ideologies.

No matter what country you go to, you will find the same relative pyramidal societal structure, where the rich abide at the top controlling all the country's resources, including its most prized resource...the people, and the poor and the disenfranchised at the bottom, and it isn't ever going to change.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

I went from a believer. for various reasons..

to a leaver.. I'm pretty sure the UK will vote to leave!

imo

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Here, here, as I said I have lots of Scottish friends with lots of differing views but even the ones who were staunch SNP and wanted to leave have become disillusioned with SNP as they havent come up with the goods but have turned out to be like every other politician. Nearly evety one of my friends is anti EU so even though SNP keep saying the majority of Scottish want to remain I will believe it when I see it, much like the Scottish referendum the majority of Scittish people have the sense to see what is best for their Country and Great Britain.a reply to: krossis

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join