It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second "production" J-20 rolled out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The Chinese J-20 program seems to be gaining speed. Just a few months after the previous J-20 that was declared to be part of the LRIP for the Chinese stealth fighter, a second production example has been rolled out. At a quick glance, it appears to have no changes from the previous 'production' J-20.

While I suspect IOC to be further away than what the Chinese have been saying, I bet the J-20"A", will be working up to that with a wing sometime around 2018, with an IOC around 2020, maybe 2022, at a guess. The still need a better engine, but I'm almost willing to bet the Chinese will wait either for the B model or put the A into production and retrofit the new engine.

The strategic holiday is over, folks. But then most of you here are in the choir, so I'll stop preaching.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It's an awkward looking bird overall, but that first 1/3 is absolutely gorgeous.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I agree and the first 1/3 elegance is an F-22.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

We don't even know if it will qualify as stealthy or if what it's performance parameters will be in reality with weapons loads. It looks to me like a yellow airplane with an interesting yet bulky design, a questionable power plant for a supposed 5th gen, and mysterious stranger sensor package.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

Based on shaping, the frontal aspect stealth looks reasonable: better than anything not-American at this point.

The material science is up in the air and that's really important. In fact, that's a Sammamishman worthy understatement.

We do know the engines are underpowered for what they want/need for the aircraft: even the Chinese say this.

There's an EO or IRST, we know. We also know there is an radar. No idea on the performance of them.

I really wish we'd put up the space based radar. We'd have a lot of data already on the planes then.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
J-20 may looks like to be a good aircraft with great equipment, flight controls etc. but in fact, it isn't anything special. It's still 5th gen aircraft... BTW I remember that there were some research sometime ago and designers around the World gaves very negative votes on J-20 because they claimed that it wouldn't be as stealthy as it would be because of front wing that will be very simply detected by radars.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: Caughtlurking

The material science is up in the air and that's really important. In fact, that's a Sammamishman worthy understatement.

Just a bit.

The Chinese have a ways to go to crack the code so to speak on material chemistry, although their system of plagiary is specifically engineered to crack those codes as quickly as possible.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Wonder what their production values are like. I'm guessing if they have any problem with tolerances and any sorts of panel gaps this blow any stealth it may have out of the water.

new topics

top topics

join