It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to live alone out in the wilderness???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Anything is possible in life.

If you want to isolate yourself from the world then make it happen.
Just like if you want to be successful you can make that happen.

What wont happen, nor should it as much as the current generation expects it, is that you will be rewarded for just living or that things should be handed to you.

Set your goal and go after it hard. that is going to require sacrifice and patience but dont deviate and you will be able to live life the way you want be it alone in the woods or working as a part of society.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

Certainly. Provided you are big and strong enough, not afraid of bugs or arachnids or rodents, know how to survive (being an Eagle Scout or some sort of army person would be good examples of prerequisites). I sure wouldn't do it alone.

You know who else goes out into the deep woods besides adventurous types, druggies, and serial killers? Nobody. So it's pretty dangerous, especially if you can't defend yourself or survive in the elements longterm. Unless you plan on staying close to a town, which would be wise, I think.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I could do it. But I dont want to. I kinda like my wife and stuff.

Just dont get all Timothy Treadwell on us. That will not work out too well.

I love the wilderness. It is why I moved out west. But the first word of wilderness is wild. There is an obvious reason for that.

I am usually good for a week or so before I am ready to head back. A refresher before back to the grind.

But like I said, if hell bent for fury to get out , take a week out. See if it works. And if you like it. And remember you cant just hunt whatever for food. You might be alone and hungry and go to kill something. You might find out being alone in the woods, means everytime you kill some food, fish and game officials start crawling out from behind rocks as they are great trackers.

And if you break a leg or something, it might be the end of you.
edit on 16-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

that's too risky for someone who doesn't knwo how to sail

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: greydaze

Oddly enough I checked and I should get internet where I'm thinking of. That would be essencial as I need something to entertain me.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Well thanks for the advice but my plan was to dig an underground bunker. Know one will even know it's there so to speak.

but I have 1 challenge??? if it's say a 9 x 12 x 7h ft room, then where will I move all that dirt too?? Say for example if this is done in the middle of a forest area? ????

My plan was to build a few of these bunkers across the country. That way I could travel around and still have a place to stay in my favorite hot spots. Like I don't get how people get tricked into this notion that they either have to buy or rent a place. It's stupid. Just dig a hole in the ground and live in there. It's the perfect way to have a free acommodation.
edit on 17-1-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
but I have 1 challenge??? if it's say a 9 x 12 x 7h ft room, then where will I move all that dirt too?? Say for example if this is done in the middle of a forest area? ????

If you check the PH levels and see that it's all healthy soil, use it to make a garden. You'll need to grow your own food after all.

My plan was to build a few of these bunkers across the country. That way I could travel around and still have a place to stay in my favorite hot spots.

The only thing is that you don't own the rights to the land you plan on living on. If you ever get caught doing that, you may get charged.

It would be best to look up the laws surrounding that concern before attempting it.

Like I don't get how people get tricked into this notion that they either have to buy or rent a place. It's stupid. Just dig a hole in the ground and live in there. It's the perfect way to have a free acommodation.

I would say that most people in north america would have a difficult time living 'in a hole in the ground' if it was as primitive as dirt floors/walls/ceilings.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It's possible to live off the grid and alone? Sure, I just spent 3 days and 2 nights at my cabin. But I'll tell you, after a week alone on the mountain, I am ready to find a soccer ball with a bloody hand print to have someone to talk to. I wouldn't wish loneliness off on my worst enemy.

A few other thing to consider are unrelenting cold and heat, bug bites, bad water, intestinal parasites, illness, tooth decay, no refrigeration, poor food, sanitation, no alcohol, and most of all no sex.

Don't sweat the bears, you will stink enough to drive them away, or just bang two pots together.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Not really getting away from it when you have probably 2-3 billion people connected to you at any one time.

Not forgetting even if you can get a signal you still need power...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Not forgetting even if you can get a signal you still need power...

Very true.

I'm finding it more and more difficult to think of what the OP is trying to achieve here. Initially, I thought he was going for a totally off the grid, literal holes-in-the-grounds, long-term shelter living. But then he wants an internet connection?

When I think 'internet', i don't think 'hole in the ground'.

If you want to live off the grid, that's fine, you can have a small house and not be connected to any power sources from cities, while still generating your own power and even having internet way out in the forest. However, it seems that the OP wants to live in a long-standing shelter made of the woods and vegetation at his location, not a house or cabin.

Seems a bit paradoxical, no?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

this guy seems to have it down to a science.

Except I'd be way way more incognito. Like you wouldn't see anything walking by the opening to where I'd be set up.
edit on 19-1-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I'm thinking of setting up some kind of solar system.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

well according to certain maps I should get cel phone service where the initial locating might be. Plus there's 5 lakes in walking distance and a town not far away. So it might almost idea. Just use it for the summers anyway. That way I don't have to stay at the dumpy motel.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

well according to certain maps I should get cel phone service where the initial locating might be. Plus there's 5 lakes in walking distance and a town not far away. So it might almost idea. Just use it for the summers anyway. That way I don't have to stay at the dumpy motel.

I don't doubt that you can, I was just picturing a different scenario in your OP.

Perhaps you could explain it to me better? I'm very interested in such ventures, and have done a lot of research on them (A while back I was preparing for a 4-6 month long hike, with no camping gear).

So, in your mind, what do you want to achieve? what do you want to have? How do you want to live?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

In my mind I'd want to just live away from people. People are evil. Like why would you want to live around any of them? Out of the hundreds of people I've met I found like 1% of them are actually decent people. The rest range from bad to phychopathic. I'm fed up with people to a large degree. Most of them suck. Most are no good. I'm including myself in that group too, even though I tend to think of myself as a decent person I have my character flaws which have hurt others at times. I'd just rather live out the rest of my life in nature and just hope for the best.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Ah I see, and agree with you to some extend. I dislike the vast majority of people. Although, 99% may be pushing that amount a bit in my opinion (statistically speaking, only 1% of the population are psychopathic).

I too want to live far away from people, and when I was traveling I intentionally sought out locations that were excessively remote, the lack of people being one of the main reasons for that.

At the moment I'm designing an off-grid community, generating our own power (with internet), and growing all of our own food our self, while also reducing our ecological footprint as much as possible, and with a focus of self sustainability.

Initially, the concept was simply including my wife and I only, however, I've become aware that group/communal living is a necessity for stress relief (on a work-load basis) as well as for protection and sustainability itself.

Have you contemplated any of my points I made in my first post in this topic (I believe it's on page one). I was wondering what your response to that information is.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Living in the wilderness has captured my imagination for most of my life. You can definitely accomplish it, but it is no small task. Especially with how polluted we have made most of the natural resources. All I'm saying is it's all fun and games until your wipe your bum with poison ivy....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join