It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6th gen fighters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It seems that Northrop is the most vocal lately about its 6th gen fighter concept work. We've already heard about their interest in using lasers for the fighter as one of the primary weapons. We have also already heard about the stealth necessities and whatnot. There has been a bit of discussion that the fighter needed to have good loitering capability and long endurance.

What is interesting - and it raised my eyebrows a bit, but ought to cause BigTrain to have a heart attack! - is one of Northrop's Veeps stating he's not sure if the 6th gen fighter will be supersonic at all or if it is that it will be marginally supersonic. Definitely not hypersonic.

If IR stealth is increasingly important, then I can see the reasons why: a Mach 5 plane is going to be impossible to hide in the IR and subsonic is far easier.

However, I can see two bits coming of this. The first is the US Air Force, at least, pushing back against this. Being able to move across the battlespace to engage and disengage when you want is going to have an strong pull, requirements wise. Second, I can see Lockheed at least countering with a very different concept, even a high supersonic one though I doubt hypersonic.

It would be interesting to see Northrop propose the slow high endurance concept, Lockheed a very fast mover and Boeing a more traditional balanced bird.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I had to laugh at the title of the article which described it as "Cyber Resistant"....what a load of crap...cool looking plane..are the parts/components all made in the US cause we know how that turned out in the past...good thing we never have any terrorist sympathizers working within the military so we can ensure that it is cyber resistant...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

If you want a cyber resistant aircraft, you need an aircraft with no computers on it what so ever. Best bet? Spitfire. Otherwise, might as well take a bathroom break in a force nine gale.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Why not have both. Morphing wing tech and memory metals that can deform a planform for both transonic loiter and supersonic dash. They are working on those concepts now and have been talking about them for some time.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Morphing wing tech still has a long ways to go if the public acknowledged sources are correct and unless there is something hiding in the black world, the tech will probably be considered too risky for the first 6th gen fighters (F-X and FA-XX).

I would suggest the USN might buy into Northrop's concept, but the US Air Force will want something else.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Good catch.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

It's being developed in the white world now, so it's safe to say it's been in the black world for a bit longer. I'm not suggesting it will definitely be in the 6th gens, it will probably be too expensive still, but it is possible to be fast and loiter with that tech.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Why not have both. Morphing wing tech and memory metals that can deform a planform for both transonic loiter and supersonic dash. They are working on those concepts now and have been talking about them for some time.

That's what I was thinking. But I'd go one step further. Get those Hypersonic Skins developed so they survive way past the 9 minute mark and put them on the birds and I'd demand we just use a turbine to do it and forgo the whole ramjet /scramjet mess. That would be a huge leg up on our adversaries.

Chinese Aid: "Sir, the Americans have launched their warplanes from Guam and will intercept our forces in 2 hours."

American Pilot Listening on their comms, while flying a 6th Gen: "MAKE THAT 2 MINUTES YOU COMMIE JERKS!!! YIPPY KI YI YAY SUCKAS! HEY! GUESS WHAT?!? I ALREADY LAUNCHED A MISSILE AT YOUR A** 45 SECONDS AGO! CHUMPS!"

Collective Chinese combatants and coordinators: "WHAAAAAA?!?!?!? OH ROH!"

About those Morphing MAW like wings. Wouldn't it be cool if they ever did develop those?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
there is still need for supersonic for a fighter, how you can intercept ennemy fighter if you stay subsonic ? its impossible. Endurance is good for the UAV and the Bomber but for a fighter you need the punch , if you want to beat T-50 or J-20 surely not a subsonic plane can fight them. I have a question why Northrop communicate a lot abut 6th gen fighter ? We see nothing coming of Lockheed and Boeing are they still here ?
edit on 16-1-2016 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

You intercept them by having better situational awareness, and getting into a better position. Supersonic speed is great for bragging rights, but it eats your fuel faster than a starving person at a pie eating contest. You're burning 2+ times the fuel at supersonic speeds as you are at subsonic speeds. It's not as bad with supercruise, but even that's limited to a few hundred miles at best.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I have a feeling that the Northrop 6th gen fighter may be a derivative of the LRS-B. Surely smaller.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

Bomber designs don't lend themselves to becoming fighters.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I suspect Northrop is thinking the laser weapons may help with this. You cannot out run the speed of light.

However, if I were Northrop, while I would embrace the lasers as something central, they ought not completely take over because there is always a chance something will backfire.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Stealth may work up to a point, but once observed, I would prefer to have supersonic speed to get away or maneuver. Slow, silent, deadly.... great for getting IN, for the most part. Getting out is just as important though! And if have been uncloaked or made visible... then its speed and agility, like catching a fly or a hummingbird.... too quick to stick!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Supersonic just gets you to the fight quicker..Most important thing is energy recovery in a turn fight and getting into a better tactical position sooner.With air to air missiles getting better locks on at higher angles and situational awareness getting better dogfighting is getting a lot quicker and higher edged..

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something that will have the budget conscious tear my lungs out...maybe the US needs 2 premier 6th gen fighter platforms? One subsonic and focused on ultimate stealth, and another higher performance system that gives up a bit of stealth for very high speed capability.

As for agility, I do wonder if it will not be that important? Before fighter jocks spit out their RC cola, I only say this because 6th gen aircraft may have advanced 360 degree situational awareness and - critically - weapon tracking and targeting in the radar, visual, IR and UV ranges without having to change the direction of the aircraft. The usage of cameras and sensors around the plane would make it fare better than any present day system for knowing what's going on, and the usage of mirrors and guides for lasers would enable the plane to target anything virtually 360 degrees in 3 dimensions around the plane.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

"If IR stealth is increasingly important, then I can see the reasons why: a Mach 5 plane is going to be impossible to hide in the IR and subsonic is far easier."

Planes traveling at hyper sonic/supersonic velocity's leave a larger atmospheric wake which could possibly be detectable hence render any stealth features useless at speeds above supersonic.
edit on 17-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Will 6th gen have onboard pilots? If so, for rapid response will the pilot be augmented with autonomous systems that will recognize a threat and assume control in extremis?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaxnmarko
Stealth may work up to a point, but once observed, I would prefer to have supersonic speed to get away or maneuver. Slow, silent, deadly.... great for getting IN, for the most part. Getting out is just as important though! And if have been uncloaked or made visible... then its speed and agility, like catching a fly or a hummingbird.... too quick to stick!

A high degree of visual, IR and radar stealth are all real possibilities for the 6th gens. When it comes to visual stealth, it doesn't lend it'self to supersonic speeds too well and NG might be taking that into account as to why they are saying high subsonic.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

The IRFP hasn't been released yet but from what I've read it will still be a primarily manned platform.
edit on 17-1-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join