It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman sues Twitter for being an ISIS propaganda platform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

The widow of an American man killed in Amman, Jordan during an attack on police there has sued Twitter, blaming the social media platform for allegedly making it easier for ISIS to spread its propaganda, court documents say.

"Without Twitter, the explosive growth of ISIS over the last few years into the most-feared terrorist group in the world would not..."

Woman sues Twitter for being an ISIS propaganda platform

Since many websites do not allow for free speech as they are a private property; this leaves them liable. the irony is many avoid free speech to avoid such issues... this seems to be a precedent making a catch 22 in web policy, perhaps this case will be a catalyst for changes ahead.

I know the US has been working on legislation at China's behest to control the internet so countries can control their propaganda to be a local controlled affair so differing ideologies do not cross borders... in my opinion a world voice loosens control and unites in opposition to propaganda and control uniting a world voice. While I can see the scare of governments of losing propaganda control as it is how they keep control of their population, its important to remind them they can try but even behind bars our mind remains free to spite the chains that bind.

Fortunately, theres opposition for the policy as many say it severely limits trade policy between partner countries... apparently trade with China is making their own control of propaganda increasingly difficult.

So Im sure this lawsuit will ripple as a catalyst to change how we view the web... TOR anyone?
edit on 15-1-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Every time I hear a media report that "ISIS/ISIL posted on credit for the attack on their TWITTER account" I just shake my head.

Obviously stupid is stupid, obviously!

edit on 15-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Sure, ISIS used Twitter to their advantage, but i don't think this woman has a chance at successfully suing the company. Twitter has been shutting down ISIS accounts left, right and centre for ages, and their outreach has been severely limited that they now turn to less restrictive sites to disseminate their bull#.

These are really good sources on ISIS and its propaganda:

www.quilliamfoundation.org...
www.quilliamfoundation.org...
edit on 15-1-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

This woman is just trying to profit from her husbands death....pathetic.

If there was a direct connection between her husbands death and twitter, it would make sense. But there isn't one.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This woman, despite her grief, is an idiot.

Twitter does not do that, it in fact deletes ISIS accounts as soon as they're reported and found.

Silly broad.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

It is definitely easier for ISIS to spread its propaganda through such platforms as twitter. Isn't something like half of ISIS foreigners? They must converse through some means. But twitter cannot be blamed for terrorist activity.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The largest propaganda platform for ISIS is the United States Congress; with the U.S. media being a close second. Honestly, If all of those clowns would stop talking about ISIS, then ISIS would eventually fade into obscurity.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

The largest propaganda platform for ISIS is the United States Congress; with the U.S. media being a close second. Honestly, If all of those clowns would stop talking about ISIS, then ISIS would eventually fade into obscurity.

Right — because not talking about them will make them stop what they're doing.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

AFAIK - the united states congress has never once talked about the BMC [ british moutaineering council ] but despite this the BMC does not " fade into obscurity "

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I see attempting to control the web something that would only end as an abject failure... as it is yet simply another form of prohibition to treat adults as children by controlling what they consume. If such practice is just steamrolled through whats next prescription safety helmets to be worn 24/7? It's a silly notion trying to save people from themselves by restricting freedom... Darwin likes passing out awards, and those that live to learn the lesson? Evolve and become stronger and wiser for it.

I agree that Twitter isnt liable and have been doing the utmost they can about it... with a new account made in seconds? Without an IP ban its sort of a constant battle, but even IP bans wont prevent the determined. Anonymous has been helping a great deal to close Twitter gaps for ISIS propaganda as well dropping 1000s of accounts a day.

I think with some recent stories of ISIS's internal attacks on itself are so strong the organization is going to start eating itself from the inside out from their extremist blood lust for control.

The irony is those that desire to control others, are atypical of having no control over themselves or own lives so they externalize control onto others. Such a practice never ends well.

The woman in question does appear to be trying to capitalize on her American husbands death... but like every report of a shooting it adds to the argument for negation of the 2nd amendment... this too whether she actually manages to win by a fluke of some law or even loses? It adds weight to more control over the internet in peoples arguments to check the For column.
edit on 15-1-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Is she trying to shut down Twitter?
what ever will the CIA/ISIS do then? How will they get get by?

On the other hand its probably about the money - US courts award higher settlements than Jordanian courts

Tamara Fields' husband, Lloyd -- an Army Veteran and who helps train police officers -- died on Nov. 9, shot by a Jordanian police captain. ISIS claimed responsibility, according to the lawsuit.

So are Jordanians now ISIS sympathisers?, and I suppose her husband never used twitter whilst in Jordan -

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It isn't Twitter she should be going after. I recently attended a 'Prevent' seminar through work and they use all different kind of social media platforms, with very few using the more traditional ones such as Twitter and Facebook.

People spot the accounts, report it and it is usually dealt with quite swiftly on Twitter and Facebook.

They gave us the names of around 20 different social network platforms, some I have heard of such as Wassapp, others I hadn't and couldn't even remember the names of most of them.

Kids and young adults do not tend to use Twitter or Facebook so much as there are too many adults on there. In addition to the recent claims that Twitter and Facebook has shared information with western Governments. So, they revert to using some of the lesser known platforms and this is when they are usually snared.

What's the alternative to all this? Make social network platforms illegal, or better still, just have a couple available that are controlled by the state.
edit on 15/1/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I think she is using it for monetary gain and an ease of pain from his loss as retribution, something her loving husband would likely want since he'd want her to be taken care of in his absence, I greatly doubt it would lead to a Twitter shutdown unless pressure from the government tried to aid it's removal... but thats a futility as any website has the potential to be over ran and become a propaganda platform... so very unlikely that would happen.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

A context filter I suppose could aid in preventing some effect of the propaganda, much the same way curse word filters operate... you would have to just add keywords to it... the issue there is the keywords removed would likely be the same ones that trigger an alarm to the PRISM system the NSA has going on to monitor such things

edit to add: thinking about this more? I suppose Twitter could remove language function from their platform... but anyone speaking and writing in the languages left? Could still post... yet it would still put a dent in ability to create accounts but of course many in the same countries not associated with extremist organizations would lose the platform, putting a dent in traffic and revenue for the site... but it would really depend on how desperate a site is to remove propaganda from its platform

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

The web without any control is already a global affair... so many sites are multicultural across borders with translation plugins etc. An irony is the deletion of such accounts doesnt really aid in apprehension of those wishing to use such platforms as a call to arms for any group of extremists.

top topics

join