It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix cracks down on proxy services used by customers to bypass country restrictions!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Netflix cracks down on proxy services used by customers to bypass country restrictions
www.theprovince.com...

TORONTO — Netflix says it’s planning on cracking down on users who use virtual private networks and proxy services to view content not available in their countries.

Many of the company’s distribution deals with major studios and content providers are negotiated on a regional basis, meaning certain titles are only available to users in certain countries.

Some Canadians use VPN services to stream Netflix movies and TV shows available in the United States, which according to the website Netflixable has around twice as many available titles.

The U.S. version of Netflix also features more Hollywood blockbusters and recent seasons of popular network shows than its Canadian counterpart.

In a blog post, Davide Fullagar, Netflix’s vice-president of content delivery, said the company is making progress in licensing content across borders but is now implementing new measures to end the use of so-called unblockers and other proxy services.

The company has always been against the use of such services and has said it takes measure to shut them down, but Fullagar said the company is “evolving” its approach to the problem and the new strategy will be in place in the coming weeks.

According to a April 2015 report by Media Technology Monitor, roughly two in five English-speaking Canadians has a subscription to the video-streaming service, with nearly one-third saying they had accessed the American version of the service.

Well I have known for a while that the trend to getting access to US Netflix, which is apparently a lot better than the Canadian version, has become very popular with Canadians.

All I know is that computer geeks can only go so far to bypass online services before their Matrix like moves will be thwarted one way or another.

So to anyone on ATS, I wish you the best of luck with Netflix if you use the bypass method to stream from other countries. lol
edit on 15-1-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011
Oops! It looks like you hit enter too soon.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Actually my Chrome was hogging about 75% of CPU usage for some reason, and so my screen froze. Upon close and restore I assumed what I typed in would stay and clicked on submit thread. Ugh...the joys of pc's!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Cat and mouse mate. Netflix will never win. Only be a matter of time before their bypass solution is bypassed.

lol

edit on CST12America/ChicagoJanpm15CST4231pm by TheMadTitan because: grammar

edit on CST12America/ChicagoJanpm15CST4331pm by TheMadTitan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
is this going to include people who change their DNS settings to allow them to access better versions of Netflix.

new topics

top topics

join