It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why pot is not legal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hello, this is my first post, so here we go

These are some of the reasons I think weed/pot is Illegal.

1. Christians and elderly "mostly repubilician" believe the propaganda and shady science done my our own government and industry. And we all know the history of christians...believe and follow what we say or we will destroy you and your culture.

2. Lumber companys: 80% of logging companies would be out of business within 5 years of pot or hemp being legal. Its easier and Much cheaper to produce paper and other related products from pot/hemp than lumber/wood.

3. Oil Companies: Pot could be to industry what soy beans are to agriculture. Oils, lubes,fuel, clothing, textiles, food, medicines, ect. Pot/hemp has been used by humans for thousands of years. Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginnings of pottery. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC.

www.thehia.org...

Im sure theres other reasons, but I feel it should be legal $10:00 a pack with a $10:00 tax half of the tax to social security 25% to schools 25% to healthcare.

Tell me what you think

www.globalhemp.com...
www.geocities.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
im surprised it hasn't yet been legalised and then taxed by the government. they could make billions on legal imports. i think because cigaretes are legal it obviously means the only reason for marajuana being illegal would be because you can get high...and well that's the only reason. yet alcohol is legal, more people die from that everyday than all other illegal drugs put together. alcohol obviously makes you drunk, would also have the same kind of affects on you if you were driving, yet we can still drink alcohol legaly. cigaretes can kill you even if you don't smoke...2nd hand smoke etc. someone can drink and drive and run you over, yet that drug is still legal. ive never seen any bad consiquences of using marajuana, especially none that are even close to that of the affects of alcohol and cigaretes.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
small amounts of pot are legal in Canada.

by the way, the Egyptian Eye of Horus contains within its geometric proportions the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. How bizarre is that?

��

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Im all for it being legal but why should it be taxed? or even controlled by the government?

Considering how much crap cigarette manufacturers put into tobacco, would you trust them selling pot to people? Id rather be left alone to grow my own.

To add to your list of reasons why marijuana and hemp are illegal,

4. THC being a naturally occuring substance cannot be patened by a pharmaceutical company. Therfore it obviously has no medical value.

5. The Police\ Prisons\ Courts all make too much money and have more influence over peoples lives with it being illgal.

6. Chemical manufacturers (dupont) needed to make back money on R&D for chemicals to bleach wood fibers for paper while hemp fibers did not need this.

7. In an industrial and manufacturing society there is no place for pot. It does not encourage people to do mindless labor or sit in one place processing meaningless data.

If we look at which drugs are socially acceptable such as alcohol, tobacco and caffine, we can see that the alcohol will dumb you down while the caffine will keep you full of energy while working 10 hours in the factory. And when not drowning yourself with alcohol, you can smoke to smother yourself.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Q: why pot is not legal?
A: it is a enormous money generator...ppl get fined for having/using it,
that keeps court officials in work,police busting ppl,,lawyers defending ppl
confiscation of assetts(here in west oz, if u r convicted of dealing in drugs, they can confiscate your assetts as "proceeds of crime"')

if it were legal , all the above would be gone,.. sure they can sell it and raise revenue thru tax, but who is gonna pay for it???
not me for 1
i'd grow it,... just like tomatoe's,...mine r better than store bought,
been tokin since 1972, and am (imo) still quite sane, havent progressed 2 harder drugs(speed/heroin/coke) .
alcahol is legal, and a huge money spinner, so i brew my own(no additives/artificial colorings,preservative's) and no hangover

pot has been blamed for so much for so long, just another piece of the propaganda machine
do what u like, as long as u dont hurt/bother anybody else with it
i'll keep tokin till the day i finish my stint in this world

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Pot is not legal because people consistantly do stupid crap while they are high. I've had many friends given tickets, arrested, or totalled their cars while high out of their minds. Its the tards that do that crap which have prevented peaceful potheads from seeing legalization in their lifetimes.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Pot is not legal because people consistantly do stupid crap while they are high. I've had many friends given tickets, arrested, or totalled their cars while high out of their minds. Its the tards that do that crap which have prevented peaceful potheads from seeing legalization in their lifetimes.

If thats the case then why is alcohol still legal?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Probably due to the fact that enough people on capitol hill enjoy sitting back and getting #faced after a day of pretending to listen to their constituents. Somehow I doubt the level of potheads on the hill is very high. I don't see a real reason to make it legal per say, but just decriminialized so that we can get on with busting real criminals. I personally would be kind of bothered by a nation of people sitting around baked and not doing anything, would be just like now except theyd be smoking weed rather than watching tv.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
It's perfectly OK for our great lawmakers to gather for a three martini lunch and pass
judgment on those who might prefer an alternative nightcap from a natural plant.

Meanwhile thousands actually die from alcohol abuse.

NEVER EVER will you see ANY reference to responsible use by responsible adults.
Adults who know the difference between use and abuse.

You WILL ALWAYS find twisted references indicating that USE=ABUSE
when this is totally false.

The same laws that apply to age, drinking and driving or working under the influence
should still apply to the use of cannabis.

The government would have a difficult time taxing a natural growing weed that anyone can grow in their own garden for their own personal use.

Prohibition is what drives the huge profits made from drug trading.
Those profits driving greed, corruption and violence.

They've taken a weed that grows freely and made it marketable
at $250+ per ounce.

If you make it legal for personal use ONLY
and prohibit ANY involvement of money,
then you take a BIG cut out of organized crime.

It's time for some sensible laws.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I don't think that drugs really answer any of our problems, bottom line. I'm not sure exactly where I stand with "responsible" use of pot, I don't know much about the effects. I don't have a problem with people cutting loose from time to time and enjoy some drinking within reason, but when you start moving over into other drugs, then no I don't support that.

Troy

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven

I agree! "Smoke that stuff at home guys." -- Comment after being caught with a joint by the pigs. (Just hangin' out, not doing anything stupid.)

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Alcohol is a taxable drug.

It causes much stronger disabling effects to motor skills
and judgement than simple use of cannabis alone ever has.

But we always hear about the guy who drank a sixpack AND did a lude
AND smoked pcp and pot made him do this.

STUPIDITY MADE HIM DO THIS!

Grrrrr!

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
yet alcohol is legal, more people die from that everyday than all other illegal drugs put together.

if that is odd to you, then check this out.

300,000 from obesity/obesity worsened illnesses in 2001
400,000 from obesity/obesity worsened illnesses as reported by "Supersize Me," i think in 2003. i can't recall. buy or rent this movie today. it is awesome.
www.supersizeme.com...

another good sample of numbers. . . i wasn't sure what the site is about. just searched for "alcohol related deaths united states." at first glance it is "supporting the cause."
www.drugwarfacts.org...

btw, i don't smoke out, nor have a big desire to. my views are strictly politcal and ethical. i am for legalization.

daved

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Because its a psychotropic substance. Perhaps a better question is why is it on schedule 1 with crack and smack?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The sad thing about it...When the US was formed most of the people that signed the constitution grew/used it for hemp (and I'm sure other things) .
I also agree with Nygdan why is it on the same list as crack?
Some of the drugs that indian medicine men use are much more potent than pot..they are legal, as long as they are used on the reservation, maybe there needs to be a "reservation" for pot ...you pay to get in..smoke and then enjoy....

(insert deity here) made pot...man made beer...who you going to trust?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I think the real reason pot has not been legalized is because there is no way our govt. could tax it. Even if they did figure out a way to impose a levy on it there would millions who would be growing their own to circumvent this. Now if you are like me I feel we are already taxed to death and if I did smoke pot, I would feel better just knowing that I had some kind of control over it in relation to growing it. I would be sure that there was no human feces used for fertlizer for the old Hep.C virus. Once the govt. steps in to anything they always screw it up so by planting and cultivating my own it would be more cost effective all the way around.People given the chance to by pot from the govt. and the man down the street it is a no brainer!

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thread is about pot usage, not medicinal usage of THC. Besides, wasn't there a decision of no drug conversations on ATS?

new topics

top topics

join