It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxation and regulations on drones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
It has begun already...the taxation, registration, limitations on drones... www.popsci.com...

If you build a drone fron scratch or buy one, you have to give money to the FAA? What the hell? Soon they'll be charging us all $5 per window we own again.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeyourchains

Wait until the permit process begins. You know, the one that gets tied up in process, forever?

Drones are too revealing, the smaller they get and the better cameras get, the less they want them overhead when carrying out injustices.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That argument goes both ways. I'm sure someone with teenage daughters and a backyard pool don't want them overhead either...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

They also don't want them flying into airplanes, which has almost happened way too many times.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
That argument goes both ways. I'm sure someone with teenage daughters and a backyard pool don't want them overhead either...

thats not a worry because all you would need is a shotgun
but # teenage girls go to PUBLIC beaches ALL the time bikini clad and they love the attention.. so if your that pervy just go to your local public beach.. duuuhhh

dumb argument you make..

edit on 15-1-2016 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Drones can also be weaponised rather readily. Hence the focus on drones weighing more than 8oz.

I am pretty sure you could get a drone with video under 8oz using some off the shelf parts and lenses out of a cell phone or smart phone for that matter. Heck the mic out of my old iPod Touch (4thGen) could pick up crickets chirping three stories up well enough for those on Skype to complain about them.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

That argument goes both ways. I'm sure someone with teenage daughters and a backyard pool don't want them overhead either…

Neither do Pedophiles…

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Does this include model R/C airplanes?

I was just thinking about getting into a hobby and R/C planes have always interested me.

Building from plans and flying from my back yard. It is open hay fields where I live.

I would take my chances and NOT register if I had to.....

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

Point 1: You are generalizing all teenage girls as attention whores. Classy.
Point 2: It is a matter of choice. If someone wishes to go to the beach in a bikini, that is their prerogative and they are aware they may get a few surreptitious looks. It is another thing altogether being recorded while in your own backyard. If you are in a private pool and not the beach, then it stands to reason that you may not want others looking at you.
Point 3: This is also applies to young children, not only teenage girls who "love the attention."
Point 4: A shotgun's ability to solve this problem is dependent on what airspace the drone is in. If it is not on your property, then the owner may sue you for damaging it.

As a final note, before you say my argument is dumb, please correct your grammar. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

From personal experience, the problem with that is, errant signal 'noise' can crash (or even steal) your expensive RC…

Also heavier and faster than drones, causing more serious injury if they do crash. Best to join a club and fly with them, where at least the frequencies are monitored and the designated airspace less vulnerable to damage or injury.

Lots of fun, used to have a blast.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the info intrptr

I will check into local clubs. I know of 2 nearby that I used to go with my son to watch them fly.

I am just sort of a loner and don't usually like getting involved in 'organized' anything.

Maybe I will look into R/C cars or boats. I have seen planes that have taken months to build disintegrate upon impact on its maiden flight. The builder looked crushed. I felt bad for them. I would feel terrible for me!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Unless its changed, you don't have to join the club. Just fly when and where they do, they provide the frequency monitoring for free and have good tips.

Edit: Yah, about crushed planes. They make nearly indestructible trainer aircraft for beginners. I started on those to become proficient. Everyone crashes during the learning curve.

Thats par… go there and ask about it. Those guys love to show off and help noobs.

edit on 15-1-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

From personal experience, the problem with that is, errant signal 'noise' can crash (or even steal) your expensive RC…

Also heavier and faster than drones, causing more serious injury if they do crash. Best to join a club and fly with them, where at least the frequencies are monitored and the designated airspace less vulnerable to damage or injury.

Lots of fun, used to have a blast.

There is very little signal noise now. It isn't like in the old days where if someone got your signal by mistake you'd lose control. Even the cheapo transmitters use a variety of technologies now so that every transmitter's signal is unique. I competitively race RC cars and signal confusion is no longer an issue. You can literally have thousands of people in one area all operating remote controls and no signal interference now.

The easiest fix is to limit hobby grade drones to certain altitudes which should be pretty easy with an altimeter. This way there would be practically no chance of one being in plane airspace.

The problem is you cannot legislate away stupidity. I understand the concern, but I think it is over blown.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yeah, they should regulate drone use. People are doing all sorts of things with drones that jeopardize the safety and privacy of other people. The owners of these should pay for the regulation of drones, not the taxpayer. Every time a cop is called to investigate someone inappropriately using a drone or the FAA has to send someone to find someone who used a drone that jeopardized the safety of an airline, it costs money. Make those who use them pay for the extra costs and define clear regulations as to their use.

This is one area where I can see a need for regulation and enforcement. It is better than banning their use unless you have a license. Back when I was young you needed a license to fly remote controlled aircraft.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I've had a drone for almost 2 years the worst part is they attract people like flies on poo. trying to do a reality ad and they will close the road to watch. Good money but I'm not going to register if they request it. I really don't know why they would want you to other than to make money from people that will.

I'm certainly not putting a number or anything on it unless someone hires me to.

they are loud your not going to sneak up on anybody

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I've had a drone for almost 2 years the worst part is they attract people like flies on poo. trying to do a reality ad and they will close the road to watch. Good money but I'm not going to register if they request it. I really don't know why they would want you to other than to make money from people that will.

I'm certainly not putting a number or anything on it unless someone hires me to.

they are loud your not going to sneak up on anybody

I can imagine. My wife calls me the Pied Piper because when I run my cars in the street or at a park, I'll get a ton of kids running around in awe. Some of my cars can do 70+ mph (not scale, really 70+ mph).

I've considered purchasing a larger drone as I live across the street from a park. I have a micro drone that I play around with from time to time, but I don't think it can go much more than 100 feet high. What is the max altitude of some of the larger hobby grade drones?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

Yea because firing a gun inside city limits wont land you in jail...

There have been several conflicts involving a drone a backyard pool and a teen age girl, all but 1 I read about had the parent taking out the drone getting arrested.

the 1 that didnt get arrested used a civilian flame thrower, which apparently wasnt against the law.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The new drones have a software kill in them that reads when it enters Class B airspace and kills it so they can't fly into areas they aren't supposed to go. But if you don't have the latest software, you can go wherever you want with no problems.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I've blocked mine from being updated so it will go a mile in any direction . But I do have an alarm set at 60% battery so it can get home.

I went to the site and the second thing they want is your credit card number. Why if it's FREE!! Nope not happening.

edit on 15-1-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Been doing some 'defense' research the past few weeks.

And I came across anti drone technology being developed by lots of countries.

Militaries in the west are pouring money in to stuff like this.

Drones are not the 'threat' they are making them out to be.

Battelle’s DroneDefender anti-drone beam gun grounds UAVs David Szondy

If Iran can take down a multi million dollar drone. I imagine a drone that costs from $50 bucks to the thousands isn't that hard.

All in all just another EXCUSE to 'save' us from our selves.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join