It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Widespread Dieoff of Seabirds in the Pacific North West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
From Northern California to the Gulf of Alaska, there seems to be some kind of widespread seabird die-off occurring in the Pacific Northwest in unprecedented numbers, according to Wildlife Biologist Leslie Slater, six times their normal numbers. There are also reports of murres acting lethargic, and uncharacteristically approaching people. The National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wisconsin has ruled out bird flu as the cause and experts, citing starvation, are baffled as to the cause.

Source

KTVA, Jan 6, 2016: “It’s a major event and it’s difficult to see,” said Kathy Kuletz, the seabird coordinator for Fish and Wildlife. On Wednesday afternoon, Justin Siemens [said] “It’s super crazy. I’ve always seen a little bit of die off… but nothing like this,” [Kuletz] said this has the potential to be the biggest mortality event in the state’s history — numbers could reach more than 100,000.

KTVA, Jan 7, 2016: Carcasses littered beaches for miles outside Whittier… “Scientists tend to get blasé about this but this is bigger than I’ve ever seen,” [Irons] said. They know the birds are starving to death, they just don’t know why. “Seabird biologists say seabirds are indicators of the health of the ecosystem. Now they’re dying and that is telling us something.”

Plenty of other Sources for this. Localized die-offs are pretty common with seabirds, but the numbers and the sheer size of this event is apparently unprecedented.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I apologize OP, but...uuuuhhhm....eeeeerrr...we're too busy being entertained by the Don to worry about the sad face of reality. Would you mind posting, in....let's saaaaayy...11 months from now? I'm sure the birds will be fiiiiiine. [/sarcasm] Even though, that pretty much sums up the minds of the sheeple. They're mesmerized by the Presidential debates and what not. Reality hasn't quite sunk in, yet. Probably still coming down from that Powerball high. lol hahahhahaahaha

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: twitchy

I'm not surprised. I was at a place that rescues sea lions today and they told me they have unusually large numbers because there isn't any food near shore so the moms of pups have to swim further to get food.

She said this has been happening since before El Niño. Apparently she was a marine biologist and definitely not a conspiracy theorist.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
And remember , Friday is Hawaiian shirt day....

No, I'm afraid to hear this...the sea is radioactive...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Fukushima was the first thing that popped into my mind, I don't know much about the source but this was interesting...
www.thedailybeast.com...

Fish aren't doing so well either...

Source
Fukushima Radiation: Millions of Fish Dead in Pacific Northwest, Destruction of Marine Life, Unprecedented Catastrophe.
Salmon Covered in Fungus, Red Lesions All Over, Big Gaping Sores

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: twitchy

You know that the media will blow this story as just a natural occurrence in the birds colony which we should all know is total coverup from the radioactive meltdown from Fukushima.

I am with you on this one...that was also the first thing that came to my mind...and I am sure more animal deaths will start to surface in the coming years. Natural cause, I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Well...as long as its the birds starving and not us while we fish out the entire ocean.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

You know that the media will blow this story as just a natural occurrence in the birds colony which we should all know is total coverup from the radioactive meltdown from Fukushima.

Marine biologist and other scientist come before any media, are you saying they all in a conspiracy to cover up a radiation problem with the animals...i doubt...very much.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye
Apparently marine biologist believe the oceans are warming.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Sea-birds are the canary telling us the natural balance of ocena's are threatened. With 96% of the Pacific's tuna wiped out by overfishing, the increased level of jellyfish in the pacific has become a problem.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Or possibly outgassing, that area is ripe with fault lines. Aren't they due for a big shake ?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
People look at the radiation from the earthquake caused damage in Japan and they do not think of all the toxins that were in that Debris that got drawn out to the sea. Japan has been making electronics for many decades and they just buried the problems back then. Disturbing the soils also pulled the toxins out of old dumps into the sea. Those toxins follow currents and long term low exposure can cause health problems in animals and fish.

That is just one possibility, the stuff added to the decades that California was dumping chemicals into dumps which eventually winds up in the sea when there is flooding recently. Thirty to fifty years ago there was not much environmental laws but still a lot of concentrated chemistry .

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

There are many scientists in the private sector doing research for companies and governments who sponsor their research...and if these governments or companies are tied into the fisheries industry...you bet 100% these scientists will be paid to BS to tell (not inform) the media what is going on.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Marine biologist and other scientist come before any media, are you saying they all in a conspiracy to cover up a radiation problem with the animals...i doubt...very much.

It's actually pretty common, during the BP Deepwater Horizon debacle, for instance, people were banned from filming on certain beaches and BP was actively suppressing news and information. When it comes down to a choice of 'Play ball' or 'loose your funding', ethics are a marketable commodity. Do you seriously believe that corporations and governments don't pay scientists and media moguls to promote their agendas?

new topics

top topics

join