It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus = Acceptance/Turn the other cheek, satanism = vengeance

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnosisisfaith

Yeah, I've read some of the texts.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Cool another good one is the testament of Solomon

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: yuppa

How is a strike considered verbal?

Here. the true meaning.turn th eother cheeks meaning

@arpgme. jesus was no Fool either. To not protect your body which is a temple itself is a sin is it not?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

There is no more sin if you follow Jesus 2 commandments

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnosisisfaith

There is no more sin if you follow Jesus 2 commandments

See above to remain on topic. And isnt it 3 commandments from jesus?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

@arpgme. jesus was no Fool either. To not protect your body which is a temple itself is a sin is it not?

That didn't answer my question did it?

When is a strike... or even "smiting" someone verbal?

Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

No need to complicate things... It means you don't retaliate... not just verbally but physically as well

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
No 2 love god first love your neighbors as yourself

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

That didn't answer my question did it?

When is a strike... or even "smiting" someone verbal?

Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

No need to complicate things... It means you don't retaliate... not just verbally but physically as well

You do realize that you are able to defend others as well as yourself. Your understanding ti wrong. A PUNCH or a actual Slap that is where turn th eother cheek does not apply. Also the meaning is not what you think. Ive looked it up before. Google it yourself.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Oh, so turn the other cheek when slapped is just a metaphor, it doesn't actually mean turn the other cheek when slapped.

Not killing and loving enemies and not stealing can also be seen as a metaphor... and maybe the miracles and dying on the cross is a metaphor... and satan can be seen as a metaphor too.

You can make up your own religion by calling the things you don't like metaphors (and I have no problem with that if that's what they wish to do), but in my opinion, it's a shame that people would rather see peace/non-violence as just a metaphor then to actually live through peace and non-violence.

Then people wonder why war and violence never ends...

edit on 16-1-2016 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I'll do you one better... I can see that you looked it up... sorta...

Gotanswers.com

Excellent research...

perhaps you should try looking at the word in its original form?

Give a concordance a try one day... What happened in the temple when the solder slapped Jesus?

Did you read about any retaliation?

IF someone strikes you... turn the other cheek? That's what Jesus taught...

Regardless of what you might want to see In that verse, the fact remains... Sure you can defend yourself...

that just isn't what Jesus taught

You're still working from an eye for an eye... and Jesus pretty much said "NO that isn't my way"

SO believe whatever you want bro... but you're wrong...

I don't need google for something that is a simple explanation... thanks though

edit on 16-1-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I used to think the way yuppa does until I realized that...

The Love of Forgiveness is like water that puts out the fire of anger.

Adding violence to violence increases violence, but Love decreases it.

Why fight back and cause unnecessary violence and probably make the situation worse when you can be the bigger person, take the punch and walk away instead of going to their level?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Oh, so turn the other cheek when slapped is just a metaphor, it doesn't actually mean turn the other cheek when slapped.

Not killing and loving enemies and not stealing can also be seen as a metaphor... and maybe the miracles and dying on the cross is a metaphor... and satan can be seen as a metaphor too.

You can make up your own religion by calling the things you don't like metaphors (and I have no problem with that if that's what they wish to do), but in my opinion, it's a shame that people would rather see peace/non-violence as just a metaphor then to actually live through peace and non-violence.

Then people wonder why war and violence never ends...

OH yeah let yourself get beaten to death is really smart. That will show em! Look a "slap" isnt life threatening in almost all cases,But i do not think God Wants you to be killed because you just stood there and took it.
Akragon Knows good and well what I mean but he is being Contrary on purpose.

Most of us have heard about Jesus’ command to “turn the other cheek” (Matt 5:39). This adage has been mistakenly interpreted as Jesus’ support for becoming a doormat underneath the feet of aggressors. We often think the message is to let people beat us up. It verges on religiously motivated masochism.

Better explanation of turning the cheek.

Yeah its also from a book but it explains things better than i was earlier.IF SOMEONE WILL READ IT ALL INSTEAD OF SAY THEY DID TO MAKE THEMSELF LOOK RIGHT.
They are missing th e cultural context. And also Since we are not HEBREWS/jews I dont see this applying.

What Jesus asks of His followers is not passivity, but surrender of the right to PERSONAL REVENGE. Rather than getting even, we should be willing to go to the opposite extreme. We need to be ready to humble ourselves for the kingdom of God. We need to understand that vengeance isn’t ours, but the Lord’s ( Romans 12:19 ).

Jesus also denounced the Pharisees who attacked Him ( Matthew 23 ), and objected when He was struck by one of the officers of the high priest ( John 18:22-23). Further, He advised His disciples to take measures to defend themselves ( Matthew 10:16; Luke 22:36-38 ). He also declared that they shouldn’t worry beforehand about how they should respond to their enemies’ charges, because He would give them the right words to say so that their adversaries wouldn’t be able “to contradict or resist” them ( Luke 21:14-15 ).

If Matthew 5:38-48 were taken literally at all times, we would have to let everyone take advantage of us. Turning the other cheek would become an encouragement for evil. This isn’t what Jesus had in mind. His vivid examples illustrate His disciples’ need to give up any sense of entitlement to personal revenge, to be purged of the motivation of personal vengeance. By asking them to turn the other cheek, Jesus meant that His disciples should be motivated by love and a desire for the redemption and forgiveness of offenders—even when opposing their actions.

SO No My friends I am right when i say turning th eother cheek has limits.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Akragon Knows good and well what I mean but he is being Contrary on purpose.

There is a purpose brother...

Never let it escalate to that point where you're fighting for your life... theres almost always other ways...

And this is one of his teachings I have the most trouble with

Your last statement is absolutely true... but again, There isn't ever a reason something should escalate to the point you're inferring

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Resisting violence with violence makes it even stronger. That's why Jesus said, do not trade a tooth for a tooth, because he knows this.

Matthew 5:38-39 King James Version (KJV)

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

Jesus' Kingdom is not about fighting, but standing with Peace and not falling into violence.

John 18:36King James Version (KJV)

36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

edit on 17-1-2016 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

Resisting violence with violence makes it even stronger. That's why Jesus said, do not trade a tooth for a tooth, because he knows this.

Matthew 5:38-39 King James Version (KJV)

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

Jesus' Kingdom is not about fighting, but standing with Peace and not falling into violence.

John 18:36King James Version (KJV)

36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

So youre just going to cherry pick What jesus said? i posted information explaining the point but apparently it falls yet again on deaf ears. Youre not understanding his meaning or th e context it was said in.

If Matthew 5:38-48 were taken literally at all times, we would have to let everyone take advantage of us.
Turning the other cheek would become an encouragement for evil. This isn’t what Jesus had in mind.

His vivid examples illustrate His disciples’ need to give up any sense of entitlement to personal revenge, to be purged of the motivation of personal vengeance. By asking them to turn the other cheek, Jesus meant that His disciples should be motivated by love and a desire for the redemption and forgiveness of offenders—even when opposing their actions.

Turning th eother cheek is about vengeance and letting go of it in actualality. Its not about being beaten until you cannot see or defend yourself. If you want to be a stupid and get beat to death one day be my guest. ill be sure to Pray for your family for their loss.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join