It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix Vows to Keep us Canadians From Accessing it's US site.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
It's easy to enforce. They just look at which country your bank account that you pay your subscription is in and limit the content by that country.

Sure if you have an account in another country you could bypass it that way.

There are many dual citizens, and that method does not satisfy what they are about to do.
It will be totally IP based traffic analysis.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Is this a loss of revenue thing or control of information?

Remember when mega upload was taken down and dude arrested? Now all you can do is bookmark stuff, and that doesn't prevent it from disappearing (sorry about that).

Love the way people are quick to tell their cheating methods online….derp

Eventually they'll control it the way they do TV. Top down, one way, approved, PC droll…

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's definitely a licensing issue.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci
a reply to: reldra

I would just like to say in big capital letters - THANK YOU!!
I had never heard of Coke and Popcorn before, and, I am -so- happy right now, looking through what programmes they have available

We barely get anything in Australia, and this is all up to date, and woo!

Add the Tube offline to your favorites under the coke and p site and remember to mute adds or they will bug you in the middle of a watch.. Also get rid of any pop up pages as they will eat up your available memory..

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I use my own VPS in the US to watch Netflix which offers far more than the UK site. How would they distinguish between a US citizen having a US VPS and an English citizen having a US VPS just from an IP address?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Yep the telecom also have their hands in the cookie jar. Here in the US our telecom are also content providers such as comcast.

I'm assuming your Bell is also a content provider over there.

The Telecom Oligopoly have been riding the monopoly gravy train far too long and dragged their feet to adapt. Now they are trying to use brute force via lobbying means to keep their golden goose.

Fortunately ,for the consumers the telecom were lazy far too long and the online tech giants like netflix,google, amazon prime , and even vudu got to build their business model right underneath their nose . They also got a nice pocket of change to go head to head with the telecom.

We saw this first hand here in the US when the telecom were trying to undo net neutrality to give them the advantage. They were almost successful until the online tech Oligopoly went shopping for politicians in DC.

The telecom industry is not to far from a collapse if they keep trying to take control of what there users can and can't do as it effects the Online Tech Oligopolies bottom line. This is why netflix and amazon prime started creating their own award winning content and google fiber started deploying fiber.

The Telecom haven't or refuse to see they have lost the power they use to have, so they better play nicer or they will be obsolete . I could see the Online Tech Oligopoly pushing for gov't sponsored internet which would kill the current Telecom overnight.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

The funny thing is, that the industry makes it so hard ,pricey and complicated to purchase content that its no wonder online file sharing is so popular.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Thank you
My plugins had that alllll under control while enjoying some old Seinfeld episodes last night, teehee.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me, that the cable providers in Canada will soon be required to offer extremely basic packages with channels of the consumers choice, mostly.

I think this will serve the aging demographic who purchase cable packages.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

I sent you a pm have a look at KODI and some of their 2016 popular plugins/addons. Easier to navigate then going through a web browser.

There is a bunch information on youtube and it runs on just about anything. I personally like running it on the Amazon fire tv even the $39 version.
edit on 33131America/ChicagoFri, 15 Jan 2016 15:33:59 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I know who's behind this : Bell Canada.

They are the ones with the most lobyists and constantly pressure the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) to sway everything their way and hurt the competition. They must of threatened to sue Netflix if they didn't at least "try" to "fix" the problem.

Bell also as tried to make the use of VPN illegal in Canada with fines even prison time, yes they are total psychopaths. Crimes in which the only victims are billionaires.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join